• ...and so much more!
  • RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Applying a dirty faded winter white wash. After this is done I'll dry brush some rust effects to various parts. Batteries should arrive today so I can see if it still runs.

UaNCfJD.jpg

LCOksmh.jpg

ordVuyq.jpg

lKTSpv4.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Built a display base for the tank from some scrap wood and a cheap piece of trim I picked up at Home Depot.

18 x 12
    AOJc26Y.jpg

I used 1 pound of drywall plaster to make up the ground texture. Added a few rocks and sticks to the mixture for added texture. Then painted it brown with artists oil paint for the base and then assorted earth tone colors. The grass is Woodland Sceneics model railroad grass. Cleared it over with flat to keep it all down.

KkKhsrJ.jpg

zrz0xVT.jpg

plSfnw4.jpg

rIjAYu9.jpg

Fyzly4M.jpg

8IJPaqk.jpg

CPqxc2i.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Dug out the radio, an old Futaba on AM ground frequency. Picked up the 7.2 volt batteries to run it also, one battery runs the drive and the other runs the multifunction controller. I'll see if I can shoot a video of it running tomorrow.

zmdSkZC.jpg

Last edited:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    You can double click on all of the photos to see a larger picture. I need to invest in a good 35mm camera if I'm going to get back into scale model building. Sucks to do all that work and then my cell phone doesn't pick up all the details I put into the subject. Cell phone cameras get grainy on up close photos.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Just WOW. Used to do model cars and planes, not near the detail.

It's a big 1/16 scale so it's pretty easy to add details plus its a tank or armor model. You pretty much can't screw up armor, if you do make a mistake you can just weather over it or add damage. There's a reason that segment of the hobby is so popular. I build planes too and that is a much more tedious job.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I made a poorly edited video of the Tiger running around in the backyard today, my driving skills were rusty too. Everything worked except I found that the main gun recoil motor was unplugged. The main gun will recoil inward when fired, I'll have to remove the turret and plug it back in. I'm just happy it ran after all these years of sitting.

I'm loving the muddy tracks.:tankman:
    dBK5ehA.jpg

Last edited:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Is there a way to have engine and main gun exhaust gases? Seems to be about the only thing missing. It's awesome, thanks for sharing!

You can buy those Chinese made model tanks in the same 1/16 scale that have exhaust gas. It seems to be some kind of oil from what I've seen, I don't think they have any smoke for the gun. Those Chinese made tanks have come a long way since they first started making them. They can be detailed to the level of my kit tank, in fact I'm thinking of buying one of the Sherman all metal kits so I can build a Firefly variant in US markings.

Here are some of the Chinese made tank kits.

Top Bottom