• ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    In 1997 it was added to Texas Penal Code to make it easier for land owners to mark their land saving the expense and time for signage. In 1998, the law requiring signage expired. Texas Penal Code 30. 05
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person enters or remains on or in property of another, including residential land, agricultural land, a recreational vehicle park, a building, or an aircraft or other vehicle, without effective consent and the person:

(1) had notice that the entry was forbidden;  or

(2) received notice to depart but failed to do so.
    (b) For purposes of this section:

(1) “Entry” means the intrusion of the entire body.

(2) “Notice” means:

(A) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;

(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;

(C) a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to the building, reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden;

(D) the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property, provided that the marks are:

(i) vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width;

(ii) placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground;  and

(iii) placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than:

(a) 100 feet apart on forest land;  or

(b) 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land;  or

(E) the visible presence on the property of a crop grown for human consumption that is under cultivation, in the process of being harvested, or marketable if harvested at the time of entry.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Generally accepted in early 20th century in Texas (sort of depending on East Texas Piney Woods) Orange marked property corner boundaries. White was for accepted crossing points or easement markers. Yellow was pipelines. Red was warning for things like, quicksand, drop offs, etc. Several other states use purple to mark no trespassing - boundary lines. Purple was just an arbitrary choice because of its use in other locations.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Generally accepted in early 20th century in Texas (sort of depending on East Texas Piney Woods) Orange marked property corner boundaries. White was for accepted crossing points or easement markers. Yellow was pipelines. Red was warning for things like, quicksand, drop offs, etc. Several other states use purple to mark no trespassing - boundary lines. Purple was just an arbitrary choice because of its use in other locations.
    Bingo! Thank you, sir. That answers my question and makes sense.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    It's funny...I had never heard of the painted fencepost/tree thing until just recently (probably within the last 15 years) and I grew up rural, raised by a mother who grew up even more rural, whose parents never lived anywhere that could properly be called a 'town', much less in the city. Apparently the fence post color code wasn't a thing SW of Austin out in the hills.

And I'll guarantee you at least 90% of the general public has no idea what the purple paint means.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's funny...I had never heard of the painted fencepost/tree thing until just recently (probably within the last 15 years) and I grew up rural, raised by a mother who grew up even more rural, whose parents never lived anywhere that could properly be called a 'town', much less in the city. Apparently the fence post color code wasn't a thing SW of Austin out in the hills.

And I'll guarantee you at least 90% of the general public has no idea what the purple paint means.
    Well... that's kinda how I felt about it. I get it, signage doesn't last weather, sun rot etc. Using paint would be easier and hold up better. But damn, purple. There should be more education on it. I didn't know what it meant till about 7 years ago. And I've been country most my life. And to be honest, when I learned what it meant my first thought was "that's stupid."

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    In 1997 it was added to Texas Penal at the entrance to the building, reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden;

(D) the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property, provided that the marks are:

(i) vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width;

(ii) placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground;  and

(iii) placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than:

(a) 100 feet apart on forest land;  or

(b) 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land;  or

Interesting that they're supposed to be vertical.
    Those I've seen are horizontal around the post/tree trunk.

Thanks for the info. :)

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Purple means stay away, avoid.
    1714494973198.jpeg

Top Bottom