Lynx Defense

Push comes to shove: How good a shot are you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How well can you shoot under pressure at 100, 200 & 500 yards?

• I’m a consistent sub-MOA Shooter at all distances in any situation

Votes: 1 1.7%
    • I’m a sub-MOA shooter at the range, likely 1-2 MOA otherwise

Votes: 12 20.3%
    • 1-2 MOA at the range, 2-3 under pressure at all distances

Votes: 14 23.7%
    • I can hit a moving van at 50 yards

Votes: 17 28.8%
    • I have enough ammo for my semi to hit anything eventually

Votes: 10 16.9%
    • Belt / Can-Fed GAU-19, all targets will be quickly destroyed

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Interesting question from the range. We all probably shoot pretty well there. But if you were pushed to defend yourself and others in a city, (civil unrest, invasion of the cartels, or a firefight with Ant…) how well would you likely shoot under pressure and return fire at 100, 200 & 500 yards?
    What rifle would you use?
    Military Camp

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Impossible to answer without a more detailed scenario. Am I alone? Am I pinned down? If I'm alone and outnumbered, I'm looking to retreat. If I have a decent shot within 100 yards to take out one of, say, two people, I'm taking it. For one of two reasons : to take one of them out or to at least keep some heads down while I put more distance between myself and them. If I have help, and the fight is worth fighting, that changes a lot of things. Either way, I'd want an AR with at least a 14" barrel and a decent dot.

Edit to add: when I say am I alone, what I mean is am I the only one armed. If I'm the only one that is armed, and I have a group of people with me, we're retreating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I'm a better shot with a rifle than with a pistol. If we're talking rifle - I'm gonna say 5 to 10 MOA under stress - I haven't simulated stress and then shot 100+ yards in over 10 years. Last time I shot at 100 yards was a fun shoot at another member's home range. We were shooting steel, so I didn't have pretty paper targets to measure, but I got the distinct "ping" more often than not on IIRC a 6 inch plate, with a scope that was rezero'd that day and a 10.5 barrel, so minute-of-man at least.

On a two-way range that would probably deteriorate more, but it does for most combat arms soldiers too. I'm under no illusion that I'm a special ops ninja recon ranger force 54 operator. I'm confident that under most defensive scenarios, I'll get rounds into the aggressor and stop the threat so long as I don't get killed or seriously wounded first. I've tried to give myself advantages in that regard - a red dot, a gun with good ergonomics and inherent accuracy, and even though I can't afford to go to the range weekly, I do a lot of dry reps just to get trigger press, sight alignment, and draw / presentation down. I do the same with my rifle as well.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Has anyone answered this truthfully?

What do you mean? Are you asking if any of us are special operators and we wouldn't truly reveal how we special operate? Or are you asking if we think we might be overstating our abilities because we're all sitting around wargaming on the internet?

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    What do you mean? Are you asking if any of us are special operators and we wouldn't truly reveal how we special operate? Or are you asking if we think we might be overstating our abilities because we're all sitting around wargaming on the internet?

No answer given. As my reply said, I ain't as young as I once was...

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Truth is… I have taken some instruction and believe me when I say you don’t want to be within 1000 yards. Despite what that GI Joe says, you don’t have to serve to be deadly.

1000 yards? What are you carrying? Cause if I'm out in public, I'm wearing a semi auto pistol. If I get into a situation like the OP describes, I'd give my left nut to trade that pistol for a rifle. I just can't imagine a scenario where I'm caught in public and shit goes down, but I just happened to bring along my thousand yard reach out and touch someone rifle.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    My eyesight is also waining, and my knees are learning pain is a frequent reality.

On the plus side I’ve enjoyed shooting at longer distances 300-1,000 yards and even a mile, and have the rifles doped for those.
    If it comes to the street, my strategy would be to engage at 500 yards plus with .308 & .50, putting AR-15 opponents at a substantial disadvantage. Lets hope insurrection won’t happen (I pray).

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    1000 yards? What are you carrying? Cause if I'm out in public, I'm wearing a semi auto pistol. If I get into a situation like the OP describes, I'd give my left nut to trade that pistol for a rifle. I just can't imagine a scenario where I'm caught in public and shit goes down, but I just happened to bring along my thousand yard reach out and touch someone rifle.

If it's over 15 yards I'll probably choose to not participate w/o a rifle.

Top Bottom