• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    That can happen. It happened/is happening to me. In my case investors came in and started buying property and paying more for it than it was valued. Then they bulldozed the old structures and built new, huge single family rental homes.

So the increase is twofold. They bought the property for more than its fair value, therefore the new purchase price is the fair value. Second, the improvements to the area cause the value to increase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    515342d1d715cbc37270a096bb7ca27d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My house is a small 2 bedroom structure on 1/2 acre. Almost all of the houses around me are 3-4 bedroom and they try to value my little place just like the bigger homes. It's easy to prove and all the records are public access. Been very successful in protesting my tax assessment, but now my taxes are set to the ZERO Senior Citizens rate! Not gonna protest that!

Flash

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    So yeah, I just got the letter from the appraisal district. Property value is up another 20k from last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My house is a small 2 bedroom structure on 1/2 acre. Almost all of the houses around me are 3-4 bedroom and they try to value my little place just like the bigger homes. It's easy to prove and all the records are public access. Been very successful in protesting my tax assessment, but now my taxes are set to the ZERO Senior Citizens rate! Not gonna protest that!

Flash

Can you provide me with info to see this?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If you qualify your home for an age 65 or older or disabled person homestead exemption for school taxes, the school taxes on that home cannot increase as long as you own and live in that home. The tax ceiling is the amount you pay in the year that you qualified for the age 65 or older or disabled person exemption. The school taxes on your home may go below the ceiling but not above the amount of the ceiling. However, if you improve the home (other than normal repairs or maintenance), the tax ceiling may go higher because of the new additions. For example, if you add on a garage or game room to the house after you have established a tax ceiling, the ceiling will be adjusted to a higher level to reflect the value of that addition.

No increase, not no tax.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I need to look into the disabled person exemption. Has anyone looked into it and is it hard to find on a .gov site? I have yet to start to look into it. I have been disabled for over 20 years and should of done this a long time ago. Most of that time I was a renter but not anymore.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I need to look into the disabled person exemption. Has anyone looked into it and is it hard to find on a .gov site? I have yet to start to look into it. I have been disabled for over 20 years and should of done this a long time ago. Most of that time I was a renter but not anymore.

Well, you still rent "some" things....

:evil:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Just search on Texas property tax disabled exemption.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Google the "CAD" for the county you live in. They all have online forms and things to search for.

For example, "Galveston County CAD".

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    Taxes went up but so did the value of the house. The property value on my house went up more than 3 times the total mortgage payments for the year. Two houses on my street have sold in less than a week after being put on the market. Gotta love Austin.

Top Bottom