• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Portable propane tanks have more than doubled in price in the last few years, in case you haven’t noticed.

I have multiple 20 lb, several 30 lb, and a 100 lb cylinder I keep for a gas grill, fire pit, outside cooktop, and a duel-fuel generator.

I am 30 miles from the nearest propane filling station, but only 15 miles from Dollar General, where they will exchange your empty propane cylinder for a full one for about $25. They will sell you a full propane tank WITHOUT an exchange for about $55.

Normally, I prefer to take several tanks to the refill facility, where I get the propane cheaper and they actually fill the tank to the top (unlike the “exchange where you only get about 90% of capacity).

I decided I needed a couple of extra 20 lb tanks. A new, empty cylinder at Lowe’s, Home Depot, tractor supply, or Academy is about $65. AND, it’s empty!

Am I missing something, or would it not be better just to buy an extra full cylinder from Dollar General for $55?

I do not have access to natural gas, and other than outdoor appliances and a generator, my house is all electric.

EDIT to add: I just did a bit of research, and it appears that Blue Rhino only puts 15 pounds of propane in their exchangeable cylinders.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    You're not missing anything. I've bought the full ones a couple of times because they were cheaper that way. Sometimes I buy full Blue Rhinos from Home Depot because it's less than the empties they sell. Which is stupid. Online doesn't work. You can buy them for less than $40 but shipping and tax pushes them over $60.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Yes, price shot up a couple of years ago where a 20lb tank had been $13 but I can get them exchanged for $20 now. If you look at the historical prices, it doesn't justify the increase. Cheapest and easiest way to exchange for me is to go to the Walmart fuel station which has two racks and no crowds.

I've got 3 tanks that I use on my gas grill and gas firepit with the latter being the biggest user. I kept the blue tabs starting this fall and I'm currently on tank #20 so $240 worth of propane.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I remember when the convenience stores first started offering a propane exchange. I thought it was a stupid idea and would never catch on. Evidently, I was wrong.

I’ll check the price for buying an extra full cylinder at Walmart next time I’m there.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Portable propane tanks have more than doubled in price in the last few years, in case you haven’t noticed.

I have multiple 20 lb, several 30 lb, and a 100 lb cylinder I keep for a gas grill, fire pit, outside cooktop, and a duel-fuel generator.

I am 30 miles from the nearest propane filling station, but only 15 miles from Dollar General, where they will exchange your empty propane cylinder for a full one for about $25. They will sell you a full propane tank WITHOUT an exchange for about $55.

Normally, I prefer to take several tanks to the refill facility, where I get the propane cheaper and they actually fill the tank to the top (unlike the “exchange where you only get about 90% of capacity).

I decided I needed a couple of extra 20 lb tanks. A new, empty cylinder at Lowe’s, Home Depot, tractor supply, or Academy is about $65. AND, it’s empty!

Am I missing something, or would it not be better just to buy an extra full cylinder from Dollar General for $55?

I do not have access to natural gas, and other than outdoor appliances and a generator, my house is all electric.
    I take mine to a local propane shop, $13 to refill a 30# bottle

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    A bit more research and I found that propane is retailing for just under three dollars a gallon. A 20 pound tank holds 4.6 gallons. That would indicate a 20 pound refill would be around $13.75 @ current retail pricing.

So, the exchange tanks provide a nice profit margin for companies like Blue Rhino (they only put 15lbs in a 20 lb cylinder) whereas buying a full tank from them for $55 still means you are getting it from them for less than you can buy an empty cylinder elsewhere.

And, they’ve generally allowed me to choose which cylinder I want when exchanging, and I always get a nice looking tank.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    HEB was 39.99 I think when I last bought a full cylinder. That was abt 1.5 years ago and was the cheapest option near me at the time. For exchange they are all abt the same so I just go to the closest place with the least hassle. Walgreens or CVS.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Just remember the exchange tanks may or may not be refurbished tanks. The tanks are good for 12 years from date of manufacture unless they have been recertified by hydro testing or ultrasound. So you might exchange your 3 year old tank for a 10 year old one. Or one that has been supposedly recertified. Also many folk take the expired tank and trade it in at these exchange places, eay way to dispose of one

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I never exchange tanks. My tanks are really good and I dont want their shitty old tanks. I fill up at tractor supply. I paid for my tanks brand new and they are in great shape.
    Tractor Supply has turned out to be a good option for us. They were charging us 2.99/gal, but just bumped it to 3.29. That's still better than the propane place we used to get fills at. They are now $18 for a 20 lb tank fill at Propane Depot. I can fill two 20 lb. tanks for around $26 at TSCO, so it would cost me another $10 at the propane place. Empty tanks at TSCO are $59 for the 20 lb. and $229 for the 100 lb.

BTW, our Dollar General charges $60 for filled 20 lb. tank ($22 for the exchange). And the propane outlet was $73 plus tax for a new, filled tank. So I bought us a third small tank from DG (not Blue Rhino, but Amerigas) and it was fairly new and we still use it almost daily.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    HEB was 39.99 I think when I last bought a full cylinder. That was abt 1.5 years ago and was the cheapest option near me at the time. For exchange they are all abt the same so I just go to the closest place with the least hassle. Walgreens or CVS.

Kroger for me. My son told me there is a U-Haul place that fills them. Planning to do that next time. The three tanks I have now are pretty new.

Top Bottom