• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I am also wanting to start prepping, but my budget is not alot either. At this point all I have is a couple cases of water and a cabinet of canned food. I have no clue where to start but am interested to see where this thread goes. Not to hijack this thread, but assuming I know not the first thing about starting to prep, how do we start?

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    Haha thats the thing, i dont know :(. But im guessing the essentials first food,water,sanitation etc. Just dont know what to get thats good but doesnt cost that much lol.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    First start by keeping a list of what you eat (eat what you store ,store what you eat)Everytime you eat something instead of replacing it at the store add one more.Ex: eat one can of chili replace with two always rotate eating oldest first.Then save for a dehydrator and vacume sealer you can then buy frozen veggies and fruit (they have already been blanched so can be dehydrated immediately )then seal ,good for at least five years and always large bags of beans and rice.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Wait for a hurricane and ask the national guard guys for some extras. Just be honest, they might help you out.

Get some cheapo $10-15 water barrels on craigslist. Make sure they come with both bungholes. Fill them with water, top with a eighth bottle of bleach, seal, and leave till you need it.

robhillips

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    South Plains of Texas
    Be careful of store bought bleach. There are better options. Store bought bleach will break down over time.
    Start with canned goods and rotate them. Flour, sugar, beans, noodles, and etc in dry goods. Clean water, nothing else matters, if you don't have it. Sanitary supplies, if you dont keep a stock of them.
    Gas or wood cooking source. If you didnt have the ability to turn on your stove or microwave, you would be hungry and taking cold baths.
    Do some reading and research, all the supplies in the world won't do any good without the knowledge to use or prepare them.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    it isnt as hard as some make it.
    What are your neccesities?
    1.Water
    2.food
    3.Shelter

Buy what you normally buy just in larger quantities. rotate your food. dont forget about med supplies...easy stuff. bandaids, alcohol, peroxide, gauze.

Beans and rice are cheap as are some "emergency" type foods:
    Costco - Chef's Banquet ARK 1 Month Food Storage Supply

Try sites like www.surviveinplace.com
    or
    www.whenshtf.com this forum has lots of good info and a few kooks mixed in for good measure.
    You can look at sites that will give you lots of free tips.

Learn, learn, learn. Its not what you have bought that will help you as much as what you know.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Really, a good book on the subject will cover far more than we can here. I suggest reading, in this order:

Tappan on Survival
    Surviving Doomsday / Boston on Y2K (These are the same book)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It

A lot of the information in them overlaps- and that is a good thing. There is a lot of information you will want to know on the subject and it's easy to forget a lot of it the first time you've read it due to information overload.

For now I would stock up on generic canned foods, rice and beans, water, oil lanterns (and oil, of course), batteries, flashlights, a portable gas stove (and propane refills), cigarette lighters, and whatever else you think you'd need. Make sure all food is in rodent-proof containers. Most survivalists recommend having at least a month worth of food for every person and 1,000 rounds of ammunition for every gun.

An excellent exercise is to turn the power off to your house for a week. Afterwards write down everything that would have made life easier if you had it with you and go buy it.

Also, don't forget some food can be found/captured. Learn up on this as well.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Mormons have it down.

Welfare and Self Reliance Principles | ProvidentLiving.org

Current recommendations are 3 months of "canned goods" and a year supply of wheat oil and beans. Along with water supply. Also to have some $$ set aside.

Add sugar, nonfat dry milk, salt, baking soda, and cooking oil. To meet nutritional needs, also store foods containing Vitamin C and other essential nutrients.

As above, start small buying extra of what you eat. Rotate though those building up 3 months.

Most folks think this is for SHTF senerios but it can come really helpful during times of unemployment or under employment.

Most folks make the mistake of thinking "food storage" is just that. Having reserves. It's really a process and a life stile more so than a process.

If your folks don't want to do this how about a garden and canning?..

http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7498-1-4070-1,00.html

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Mormons have it down.

Welfare and Self Reliance Principles | ProvidentLiving.org

Current recommendations are 3 months of "canned goods" and a year supply of wheat oil and beans. Along with water supply. Also to have some $$ set aside.

Add sugar, nonfat dry milk, salt, baking soda, and cooking oil. To meet nutritional needs, also store foods containing Vitamin C and other essential nutrients.

As above, start small buying extra of what you eat. Rotate though those building up 3 months.

Most folks think this is for SHTF senerios but it can come really helpful during times of unemployment or under employment.

Most folks make the mistake of thinking "food storage" is just that. Having reserves. It's really a process and a life stile more so than a process.

If your folks don't want to do this how about a garden and canning?..

Food Storage Calculator

Mormons are probably te single best resource for info AND supplies.....I love me some LDS.org

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    jus got started 6 cs of water 3 cs ramen 20 lbs beans
    2- 140 pcs first aid kits. already have a
    pit on a trailer generator propane, wtr
    tabs ammo 500. .45 working on 1k more
    1k .223 working on more, i am blessed