• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DirtyMarcus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2016
    Austin
    So I just recently got my license to carry and have only been carrying my P320. I saw someone post pics of their edc and it consisted of a lot of stuff. One thing was an extra mag. In a real life situation for a civilian, is needing or carrying extra mags even needed?

I look at it as, if I'm in a situation where I think I'll need that much ammo, I'll be doing my best to escape the situation without even having to draw and just call the cops. Also, if I need that much ammo, I need to leave my gun home until I can hit a target.

I just feel as a civilian I should never be in a situation that requires me to shoot that much. I also want to be comfortable and able to function and don't want the extra bulk on me.

Maybe I'm wrong or just missing the point? Feel free to school me on the need of carrying extra mags.
    ARJ Defense ad

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    The vast majority of the time you wouldn't need a reload. But then again you can say the same thing about a carry gun also.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    I have always thought the old adage about "having & not needing is far better than needing & not having." was just solid thinking.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The vast majority of the time you wouldn't need a reload. But then again you can say the same thing about a carry gun also.

The vast majority of the time you wouldn't need a reserve parachute, but that didn't stop me from carrying one of those either!

I have gotten into the habit of carrying an extra mag for both the ammo and in case the first one malfunctions. Better to have and not need, than the other way around...

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Okay, is it going to be one (1) round, or one hundred and fifty seven (157) rounds that saves you and yours? Or, the preferable zero (0) rounds. I don't carry an extra mag. because I think I'll need it, it's in the hopes I never do. Just like a pilot wears a parachute.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Hitting moving targets is not easy. I would think it would be even more difficult if you were being shot at. Never been in the situation so I'm just speculating...

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Number 1, if I were going into an area that I thought I'd need an extra magazine I wouldn't be packing a handgun. Those places deserve to be served with a rifle. Number 2, us good guys don't exactly decide where the fight will take place or what the fight will be. Saying you will avoid this and that is all fine and dandy until you can't and you didn't. There are a handful of souls no longer with us that only wanted pancakes that day in Carson City. Number 3, not carrying a spare mag is just plain lazy. Number 4, Saying revolvers don't jam is just plain ignorant.

revolversjam.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    Saying revolvers don't jam is just plain ignorant.

How about this, Captain Semantic? In my experience, revolver jams are so rare as to be non-existent. However, magazine related failures in semi-auto handguns, although uncommon, happen with sufficient frequency that preparing for them and training to clear them is wise for one choosing to carry a semi-auto.

Damn, internetting is serious shit today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    More training is always a good idea. What is even more likely to fail is the operator. Everyone is discussing scenarios. Most people do not know how they will react in a high stress situation. In my experience, a lot of people freeze up.

sent from a Galaxy far away

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    How about this, Captain Semantic? In my experience, revolver jams are so rare as to be non-existent. However, magazine related failures in semi-auto handguns, although uncommon, happen with sufficient frequency that preparing for them and training to clear them is wise for one choosing to carry a semi-auto.

Damn, internetting is serious shit today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If in your experience revolvers jamming is so rare as to be nonexistent: you don't have enough experience.

There is the problem of bullets jumping the crimp and binding the cylinder. Primers have been punctured and flowed into the firing pin hole binding the cylinder. Revolvers also suffer from small parts breakage such as the hand and bolt. I have seen a Colt Python bound up after it was used to slap an attempted capital murderer in the head. I have also seen a j frame stuck like Chuck when a Sonic car hop accidentally spilled a coke on it in the side pocket of a truck door. No one knew it happened and it dried on it. The j frame had to be detail stripped and cleaned before it would function.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    More training is always a good idea. What is even more likely to fail is the operator. Everyone is discussing scenarios. Most people do not know how they will react in a high stress situation. In my experience, a lot of people freeze up.

sent from a Galaxy far away

You've made a good point. One will not rise to the occasion. One will only rise to the level of their training. Studying mindset and participating in force on force are ways to prevent freezing up.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    You've made a good point. One will not rise to the occasion. One will only rise to the level of their training. Studying mindset and participating in force on force are ways to prevent freezing up.
    Agreed. Constant training and the appropriate, prepared mindset are crucial.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom