• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zombie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Brownwood/El Paso
    is anybody here using this? It just nearly looks too good to be true. All Tuition paid, 1k/books 1.5k/tutor. E-5 BAH w/dep rate of the zip code your college is at. Am I missing something? About to get out in about 3 months and just looking at post-army options. Any advice/suggestions/stories appreciated.
    Venture Surplus ad

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    Currently using it, it has a few more restrictions on it than the regular gi bill. You can switch it at any time so I would hold off on doing so till you are preparing to go to school and have talked with a Va advisor at the school you will be going too. If I hadn't switched my life would be a little easier right now...

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    is anybody here using this? It just nearly looks too good to be true. All Tuition paid, 1k/books 1.5k/tutor. E-5 BAH w/dep rate of the zip code your college is at. Am I missing something? About to get out in about 3 months and just looking at post-army options. Any advice/suggestions/stories appreciated.

It is a VERY good bill. I haven't had to tap into it yet because I'm still Active Duty so all of my tuition is paid for by the Air Force anyway. You ARE missing part of it, though. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is supposed to be transferrable to a dependant (spouse, child) which means that if you get your degree(s) while in the service you can send your kid to college using the bill.

ISO1600

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Abilene
    You have to have either served 10 years, or reenlist/extend your contract so that you will. I am at 8, with a few more to go on this second term, so i can now give the Post 9/11 GI Bill to my wife.
    Since i'm a TX resident who enlisted in the great state of TX, i fall under the Hazelwood act. If you are not familiar with it, LOOK IT UP!

cliffnotes: Hazelwood act provides 130 credits worth of tuition to a TX resident who joined through a MEPS in TX and was honorably discharged/separated after serving active duty. It is not transferable (that i know of), but it is a SWEET deal. I'll use that, and my Wife can you my GI Bill.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I enlisted in Alabama so I am not a Texas vet but my son is...he was told that veterans had to exhaust all of their VA or any other service related educational benefits before they can qualify for Hazelwood...so, your wife cannot use your benefits while you use Hazelwood. He got a sweet deal on education benefits when he enlisted in the Navy in 2000 plus he double paid into the Montgomery. He was able to get a BS from UH without taking out any loans or working. Now he is working on his Masters using the Post 9/11 benefit. When that runs out, he will be eligible for Hazelwood.

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    Also for you guys with a service connected disabity, and the GI Bill isn't an option for you: check into the VA's Chapter 31 Voc-Rehab program. Its a good program that has some of the same benefits of the GI Bill. You could go back to school, the VA pays books, tution and you get paid while you go.

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    Also for you guys with a service connected disabity, and the GI Bill isn't an option for you: check into the VA's Chapter 31 Voc-Rehab program. Its a good program that has some of the same benefits of the GI Bill. You could go back to school, the VA pays books, tution and you get paid while you go.
    my buddy is doing chapter 31, he says its not too bad of a deal

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station

And those of us that have service connected and out GI Bill can use both, one after the other, then use our Hazlewood Act. Here in Houston post 911 pays $1577/month, Voc-Rehab pays $1000/month, then hazlewood is 150 hrs of no tuition and fees at any public university in Texas.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I'm trying to train to be a professional pilot. Currently paying my own way though my private pilot certification. The "old" GI bill which I'm still on will pay for 60 percent of my training after that (I have to fork out the other 40 percent). The Post 9/11 GI Bill will only pay for flight schooling if you go to a college that has flight training as part of a program. I believe Embry Riddle does a flight school. I'm wanting to get my commercial and instrument ratings so I can fly for a living during my life after the Corps.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I'm trying to train to be a professional pilot. Currently paying my own way though my private pilot certification. The "old" GI bill which I'm still on will pay for 60 percent of my training after that (I have to fork out the other 40 percent). The Post 9/11 GI Bill will only pay for flight schooling if you go to a college that has flight training as part of a program. I believe Embry Riddle does a flight school. I'm wanting to get my commercial and instrument ratings so I can fly for a living during my life after the Corps.

Might check out these...

Baylor University: Baylor University || Top Aviation Science Degree, Texas Aviation Science Program
    Midland College: https://www.midland.edu/pilots/
    LeTourneau University: Marketing Concentration | School of Aeronautical Science | LeTourneau University

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i graduated in May with my Masters degree - using this bill - put a little tax free $$ in the bank from the BAH payments

yes - its a fantabulous program - but you have to be going to school "full time" to get the BAH - which is easier to do on a graduate program

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    And to add on to the hazelwood act, you also can hit up the pell(pale) grant. Free money..

a note on the hazelwood act - i used this for one semester at UNT before the Post 9/11 bill came out - you can only use the Hazelwood act after you've exhausted ALL of your VA education benefits

its a bit of a nutroll to go thru - and you have to go to a state/public university to use it - but UNT handled it fairly flawlessly and its 100% tuition free - so its hard to beat - but the deal is you gotta be a texas resident going into the military and also coming out

if i repeated something already said - my apologies!

Top Bottom