• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I'd like to drain the pool down a little to clean some steps and ledges with an acid wash. There's a faucet fitting in the line from the pump to the pool returns. I believe this was used for pressure testing the plumbing while the pool was being built. My genius idea for draining out some water is to attach a hose to this and open it, turn off the return valves, then turn on the pump. It's a variable speed pump so I can turn down the flow rate, but even with that I still have this mental image of things exploding. Maybe if I leave the returns open there won't be as much pressure to worry about. As far as I know there is no other provision for draining it. It uses a cartridge filter so there's no backwash setting. Here's what the setup looks like:

o6a439.jpg

BTW - are there any pool pros among us that I can pester with questions?
    DK Firearms

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I'm not a pool guy, but that looks like a typical faucet connection to help with pump prime. If so, you could easily open that up and drain the pool.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I am assuming you have a cartridge filter with no multiport valve with a drain option?

That bib will only drain the water down as far as your skimmers are then you will suck in air unless you can close off the skimmer and drain from the main drain only. You will hurt nothing by using it with the pump is running.

You can attempt to use your vacuum hose from connecting in the skimmer and tossing it in the pool with the vac connected for wieght and keep a water hose filling around the skimmer to prevent suctioon loss from air entering.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    you can use that valve which is located on the discharge side of the pump to drain (AND fill) the pool if you choose. Connect a garden hose to it and direct the water to a different area, run the pump at full blast. No fears. Also, on the suctoin side of that pump, there may be 3-way valves to select the inlet source. I'm able to make the pump suck from the bottom skimmers vs the top skimmers in case you want to run the pump with the level below that of the top skimmer and not suck air. Sucking air is bad for pumps. They like clear water.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    BTW, after re reading your post...do not shut off the return lines. This will create way to much pressure on your lines and filter, since the hose bib will not accept near the flow that pump will put out. That is a wisperflo pump and even the lowest setting would be pushing a lot of water.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The best way to drain an in-ground pool is to use a "swamp pump" which you can rent at most rental places.

Saves wear and tear on the circulation pump and plumbing.

The chlorinated water will kill grass and shrubs/trees if concentrated in one spot.

For an above ground pool, the best way to drain it is with some well-placed thirty or fifty caliber rounds.

Swimming pools are like boats: High Maintenance/High Cost/Little Use.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Swimming pools are like boats: High Maintenance/High Cost/Little Use.

*Now* you tell me... :banghead:

Actually it's been used a lot; I have kids and their friends are over all the time, and hot tub season is fast approaching. A few months ago I drained the hot tub and gave it a light acid wash, and after that you could really see how much the main pool needs it. It's ridiculous what stuff costs for pools though. If you're a little handy about fixing things you can save a lot. The roll-around cleaner retails for around $700, and it's nothing but plastic and hoses - good thing it's easy to fix. I had the control board on my chlorinator go out and people were quoting me prices of several hundreds of dollars to fix it - I just ordered the board online for $200 and replaced it myself. Here's what the whole thing looks like:

2nvwg2w.jpg

1qpeg7.jpg

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Nice pool! Looks like it was done proper. I worked on pools for 6 years, actually co-owned a pool service company. Now my cousin owns it all by himself and I don't miss it one bit.

If you would cut into the 2" pvc running from the disharge on the pump, to the fliter, put a 2" tee and a ball valve you can make a real drain line that would empty that pool in a couple few hours. When we installed cartridge filters, we always added that option and added a hose coupler so the owner could roll a 2" hose out to the street. I doubt you would need it that often.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the job they did - James Kahles of Starlight Pools did all the construction of the pool and the patio addition. It's almost a little overbuilt - 45x22, not all that deep (6.5 at the deep end, so no diving), 3 skimmers, good quality equipment and a clean install. The main pump is a beast, with a booster for the cleaner. The 400 kBTU spa heater shakes the ground when it kicks in, and I've used it as a pool heater a couple of times, but that doesn't work well without a cover since the returns are near the surface and the hot water just evaporates out. Had some problems with the flow switch on the chlorinator cell, but they got that fixed fairly soon. It's mainly a matter of routine maintenance and making sure the chemistry is right, and I'm not as vigilant about all that as I should be.

Top Bottom