• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I purchased this in November of 2022, FINALLY, yesterday I had a chance to take this out and give it a run. For a budget SA revolver, it is surprisingly beer can accurate. While the front sight does have a slant cant to the left it does not really have any effect with accuracy. This particular revolver requires a "fine" sight picture using the "U" notch rear sight and nearly the very top of the front sight. Within 3 rounds I was able to hit my target with no issue, the initial distance was 30 yards, with follow-up shots changing as the can changed locations with nearly every round fired. I did miss a few, but 12 holes in 3 cans out of a total of 18 rounds and several near misses coming in slightly under the target. All in all, I will call this a winner. I would feel comfortable with this in the woods for revolver hunting use on feral hogs, paired up with a 357 Magnum lever gun and you are GTG.

Colt King Cobra I purchased this in March 2023, and it too finally saw a little action. For myself, this would have to be a close-quarters use weapon. I tried at the same distance as the Pietta, I really sucked with this one. I did not fire many rounds, 12 actually. I forgot to bring more ammo as I was getting ready. It may be better in my hands with 38 specials.

Both were fired using Fiocchi Defense Dynamics 158 GR JHP, there was a noticeable difference in recoil between the two. Before firing either one, I thought the plastic grips of the Pietta were going to be terrible, actually, they are not, the extra barrel length may help also.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

Gordo

Well-Known
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    sign-postpics.gif

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    A good SA revolver is hard to beat for a woods gun.

I still take the Colt Singles out from time to time. Lots of fun!

Thanks for posting!

Pretty sure I have a Great Western II. I’ll have to check and see if it was made by Pietta.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    A good SA revolver is hard to beat for a woods gun.

I still take the Colt Singles out from time to time. Lots of fun!

Thanks for posting!

Pretty sure I have a Great Western II. I’ll have to check and see if it was made by Pietta.
    It IS a Pietta. A 3” beauty in .357 with case-hardened receiver. Smooth as silk!
    Thanks for reminding me.

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I used two of the Pietta's in SASS when I was active back in Virginia/Maryland. I liked them a lot but alas health got the best of me and they went to Blackjack's guns in Austin for resale. You can't go wrong with a Pietta. Accurate enough for cowboy shooting and pretty fast handling. Had the rear notch slightly opened up to get a faster sight picture. I put Wolffe springs in them and new Belt Mountain base pins so they wouldn't shoot loose during competition. They ran for years with no problems. You'll like it!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gearhead_Gunsmith
    Top Bottom