Guns International

Per TX and SA Law, the optimal way to deal with door to door solicitors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I want one.
    Nah. Too expensive.

I figure an overhead aerosol sprayer with gasoline plus something on the exterior wall that throws off sparks should do the trick.

No, maybe not. The gas would likely sit in the tank for years before I needed it. It might get gummed up or lose the ability to be easily ignited.

Anybody know of something flammable, sprayable, and stable enough to retain both those qualities for years?

:)

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Nah. Too expensive.

I figure an overhead aerosol sprayer with gasoline plus something on the exterior wall that throws off sparks should do the trick.

No, maybe not. The gas would likely sit in the tank for years before I needed it. It might get gummed up or lose the ability to be easily ignited.

Anybody know of something flammable, sprayable, and stable enough to retain both those qualities for years?

Insect repellant

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Nah. Too expensive.

Hairspray?

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Nah. Too expensive.

Alcohol

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Nah. Too expensive.

get the non corn gasoline and some stabil

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Back a billion years ago my dad came home from work to find 2 encyclopedia sales men sitting in the living room. Mom tells him they said they had an appointment with you. Dad gives Mom the look.

He was a metal fabricator so comes home dirty. He looks at the guys and says I will be right back I have to clean up and change. Shower comes on. He is back out in 15 minutes and starts talking to them

Mom puts dinner on the table he says do you mind I am going to eat while it's hot. They sat there another 1/2 hour or so he came back asked a few questions and said excuse me I need to use the restroom.

He went to the back bedroom and called his friend hey fred come over and knock in about 15 minutes.

He is asking more questions and says hey mom dig out the check book about that time fred shows up and dad goes damn Fred these guys have a great deal you should hear about it.

One sales man looks at the other and says let's go this dude is not buying anything and they walked out with my dad going hey come back my kids can really use that set.

I don't think I ever seen my dad laugh so hard
    I've done something similar when I get a call from someone who is reading from a script and won't let me talk. I put the phone down and walk away. When I hear them asking for me, I'll have them start over, and I'll walk away again.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've done something similar when I get a call from someone who is reading from a script and won't let me talk. I put the phone down and walk away. When I hear them asking for me, I'll have them start over, and I'll walk away again.

I got some sales call back probably 20 years ago, an obviously frustrated young lady on the other end of the phone reading from a really obvious script. At the time I worked in a call center (inbound calls, not cold calling) and was familiar with some of the rules of telephone sales, so I interrupted her and said "Look, I don't want to ruin your stats but I'm not gonna buy. How many times do they require you to hear me say 'no' before you're allowed to move on?"

"Um...three, actually..."

"Ok," I said, and then in a sing-song voice: "No, no, no."

I got a cheerful "Thank you!" and she ended the call.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I am looking for someone knowledgeable in TX law and/or San Antonio city law (i.e., current or recent prosecutor, attorney, or law enforcement) to answer this question for two scenarios: What is the best way to use existing laws to discourage or prevent door to door solicitations?

I am no lawyer, so I cannot interpret the law I find enough to come up with a winning and realistic strategy. Also, there is much BS advice out there from folks who "had a friend", eventually admit it was some other state or city's laws, or this was the way it was 30 years ago.

Here are the two scenarios:

1. Solicitation occurs in the City of San Antonio (SA code), from a public street, when a No Soliciting/No Trespassing sign is posted at the door.

2. Solicitation occurs outside the City of San Antonio (TX law), in a gated community from private streets, when a "legal" No Soliciting/No Trespassing sign is posted at the gate.

Again, ideally looking for current LEOs or lawyers who currently deal with these issues. If I can get a solid answer, we can all use this info to our advantage.
    If you have legal signage (either No Trespassing signs or purple paint on trees, fenceposts, boulders etc), you may perform a citizen arrest of the perpetrator, per TX PC §30.05. When you call Sheriff's office with "I have them detained at gunpoint", they WILL show up and show up fast, trust me.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    If you have legal signage (either No Trespassing signs or purple paint on trees, fenceposts, boulders etc), you may perform a citizen arrest of the perpetrator, per TX PC §30.05. When you call Sheriff's office with "I have them detained at gunpoint", they WILL show up and show up fast, trust me.

Excellent stuff. I do not intend to hold someone at gunpoint, but I do want an ironclad legal argument to shut down a solicitor's BS legal talk. I edited a cut and paste of the code to contextualize and focus on the red text below, before I ask another question:

Penal Code Section 30.05​

Criminal Trespass​

(a)​

A person commits an offense if the person enters ... property of another, including residential land,...without effective consent and the person:

(1)​

had notice that the entry was forbidden; so.

(b)​

For purposes of this section:

(1)​

“Entry” means the intrusion of the entire body.

(2)​

“Notice” means:

(A)​

oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;

(B)​

fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders...;

(C)​

a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to the building, reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden;

So, a solicitor has told me that a sign placed at the gate of a residential community, controlled by an HOA, does NOT meet the definition of an apparent authority to act, UNLESS the HOA has granted a Power of Attorney to act on issues of trespassing on behalf of the specific homeowner who is a victim of the unwanted solicitation. Furthermore, in such cases, only the HOA can be the complainant, not the homeowner.

Is this just some BS that solicitors tell each other to give them the hubris to enter gated communities without fear? It seems to me, the HOA is comprised of all homeowners, so they are one and the same. No POA would be needed and either the homeowner or HOA could be the complainant. This one is more legal, but hoping someone can still shed "legal" light on this.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    pm.BobbyTrap-1.jpg
    kjvrl6gwtega1.png

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We’ve had two or three grown men walking around soliciting some service or another. I can’t imagine most homeowners are gonna open the door…

I think this setup could work nicely to keep them away…

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

“Notice” means:

(A)​

oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;

(B)​

….

Is your name on the deed or the lease? If yes, you have apparent authority. Since your name isn’t on the HOA baord (they own the common areas), you don’t have actual or apparent authority beyond your property lines.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Please review the applicable Texas Code of Criminal Procedure statue (CCP 14.01) which governs who may make arrests and under what circumstances, otherwise you may find yourself unpleasantly familiar with PC 20.02

CCP only allows "any other person" to arrest for felonies and offences of the public peace (generally interpreted as disorderly conduct offences PC 42.01).

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Top Bottom