• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've had an itch for an HK usc or another Scorpion Evo for a while. I'm unwilling to spend sig mpx money and got to thinking...why not just build an AR platform PCC? I go round and round with this because I've built numerous ars over the years but all in 5.56. After doing some price shopping I'm still unsure.

I really don't like the clunky pistol mags most run but for some reason I give a pass to anything running uzi mags. Since I already have a scorpion pistol, I love the idea of an AR platform gun that takes them. So far all I've found is the wraith works rifle which for some reason I'm intrigued. It's probably still a touch more than another Scorpion but I'm somehow willing to pay for one. It's closest competition is a classic colt ar9. Which should not be discounted, I feel like it's the most proven out there.

Lastly, my dilemma, why not just build one? I could go PSA on the cheap or buy a nice receiver set and build it out. I could still be stuck with uzi style stick mags but I still think it would be a ton of fun. Any opinions?
    DK Firearms

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I've looked at Stern Defense. They do full uppers and conversion kits. AFAIK, you use a standard AR lower. I looked at the S&W M&P45 kit but never followed through.

Typically run off Glock or S&W mags.

Last edited:

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I dont know if its easily done, but CMMG's Radial Delay Blowback system and a colt mag lower is about the only non-MP5 PCC i have any interest in, but at that point it's cheaper and easier to get an MP5.

Direct blowback, especially in an AR is clunky, and a very unpleasant impulse, and can/will eat parts like there's no tomorrow.

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    I have a CMMG mk9. Older model so direct blowback. Dedicated 9mm lower that takes colt smg mags. Recoil impulse isn’t bad at all but it’s a heavy gun for a PCC. 13.5 inch rail, a weapon light and a small red dot are all that’s on it. 32 rounds of 147gr in the stick. The barrel seems to have a heavy profile as well. I was lucky enough to find it for around $700. Haven’t had a failure yet and for some reason I really dig the colt stick mags. I can also get em for $17 so they aren’t ridiculously expensive. I’ve though about upgrading to radial delayed blowback but I’d have to buy a barrel, bolt and the kit for the lower. At Cmmg’s prices I’d be better off buying another gun instead.

That said, I’m a fan of Cmmg products and have a regular build coming from a receiver and handguard kit I got from em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Direct blowback, especially in an AR is clunky, and a very unpleasant impulse, and can/will eat parts like there's no tomorrow.
    That is what I was thinking. Everything I've read and heard says the roller delayed (or similar) is a lot better shooting experience.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I dont know if its easily done, but CMMG's Radial Delay Blowback system and a colt mag lower is about the only non-MP5 PCC i have any interest in, but at that point it's cheaper and easier to get an MP5.

Let's see, I have two Ruger blowbacks. A PCC and a PC Charger. I have three AR 9mms that are blowback and three AR 45 ACPs that are blowback.

Thousands if not 10's of thousands of rounds through them. No broken parts, no parts eaten.

With the proper buffer weight the recoil isn't bad at all.

I bought one AR9 and one AR45, built all the rest.

Build or buy....it depends on what you want. If I had the money all mine would have Gibbz side charging uppers. They all feed from Glock mags. Glock pattern mags are inexpensive and can be found anywhere. Gunmagwarehouse has ETS 33 round 9mm mags for $7 each. Really solid mags, they are most of my 9mm and 45 ACP Glock mags and I've never had a problem with them.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Let's see, I have two Ruger blowbacks. A PCC and a PC Charger. I have three AR 9mms that are blowback and three AR 45 ACPs that are blowback.

Thousands if not 10's of thousands of rounds through them. No broken parts, no parts eaten.

With the proper buffer weight the recoil isn't bad at all.

I bought one AR9 and one AR45, built all the rest.

Build or buy....it depends on what you want. If I had the money all mine would have Gibbz side charging uppers. They all feed from Glock mags. Glock pattern mags are inexpensive and can be found anywhere. Gunmagwarehouse has ETS 33 round 9mm mags for $7 each. Really solid mags, they are most of my 9mm and 45 ACP Glock mags and I've never had a problem with them.
    Ar9's are well known parts killers I've personally seen more than a few break FCG parts.

The recoil isn't "bad", but every AR9 I've shot has more recoil and a sharper impulse than a 5.56 AR, but I can't say what buffers they've had.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I've had an itch for an HK usc or another Scorpion Evo for a while. I'm unwilling to spend sig mpx money and got to thinking...why not just build an AR platform PCC? I go round and round with this because I've built numerous ars over the years but all in 5.56. After doing some price shopping I'm still unsure.

I really don't like the clunky pistol mags most run but for some reason I give a pass to anything running uzi mags. Since I already have a scorpion pistol, I love the idea of an AR platform gun that takes them. So far all I've found is the wraith works rifle which for some reason I'm intrigued. It's probably still a touch more than another Scorpion but I'm somehow willing to pay for one. It's closest competition is a classic colt ar9. Which should not be discounted, I feel like it's the most proven out there.

Lastly, my dilemma, why not just build one? I could go PSA on the cheap or buy a nice receiver set and build it out. I could still be stuck with uzi style stick mags but I still think it would be a ton of fun. Any opinions?
    I have owned both. The USC is a sharp push. The scorpion is a sharp punch.

I also have and kept a beretta cx. Still a sharp punch but felt better than the scorpion. I also have a bunch of 92fs and they all take the same mags.

All of the 9mm AR’s I have shot have been finicky in one way or the other. Especially when you switch from 115 to 147 grain rounds.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom