• ...and so much more!
  • wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    The Miculek "family" guns were, the last time I worked with 'em, full custom jobs (no matter what the markings) from that chubby little gun genius in Corpus. He laid out the guns for Mossberg, but they refused to listen to what the genius had to say so he quit the project. The Miculek's guns have been, ah, modified...a lot... They are most definitely NOT factory guns ;)

At Iron Man this last week, I did not see a single 930 run the whole match. Benelli didn't have a clear winner either, which I find interesting since they are so popular. SX2 platforms seemed to run just fine...most of them...as did a few oddballs here and there.

My evil business partner and I talked about shotguns a lot on the long drive back from Idaho...based on our decades of experience in the shooting sports as Master class competitors, gunsmiths, dealers, and manufactures...we decided (yet again) that all shotguns suck ass. They were not made to shoot the way we shoot them...they were designed and intended for "bang, bang" then eat a sandwich and gather your fallen birdies or whatnot. Not eight to fourteen shot high speed monstrosities, reloaded fast, and shot hot in all conditions, on the clock

That said, the 930 is a fair entry level shotgun. Decent guns for the money, just like the Rock Island .45's. As others have said, none of these platforms are all that reliable. Even the 870 has issues requiring factory modifications over the years, and those are about as solid a gun as I can imagine.

Before the fanboyz jump on me, I do keep a variety pack of shotguns around in my personal collection, including Benelli, SX2's, a ton of 870's, 500's, and a bunch of exotics. I also have (from time to time) had the fun of RO'ing 300+ shooters on shotgun-heavy stages over three days and watching every brand and configuration come unglued occasionally

Alex
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The thing that people who talk about "gas guns" being finicky need to remember is that the other autoloading system is recoil operated, which can be VERY finicky if you want to modify any part of the system.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How do shotguns typically fail under hard use? Are shotgun shells just naturally more dirty than rifle ammo? Are they failing to cycle due to being dirty or physically breaking?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd say combination of dirt, wear and just the system not being built to run hot, dirty and fast. If you can tell me why the Ruger Mini 14 works fine the way Wakal described (bang, bang, eat a sandwich) but pukes every time you take one into a higher volume run and gun type competition, you'll probably have the answer.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    My buddy just picked up his Versamax from Benny. $2k a little to rich for my blood. I'm gonna go molest it tomorrow. I'm interested to see how Beretta's 3G model shotgun does

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    The only problems Ive had with my Mossberg is cheap bulk pack shells FTE sometimes. The metal is so soft it expands in the chamber, but its not hard to get out.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Just deciding to not run. I've loaned my SLP to a 930 shooter because his gun decided not to feed.

I run my SLP dirty as hell. What I do to that shotgun is borderline abusive. The front bead is damaged and the shotgun has dings on it from sharing dump barrels with my (similarly dinged) AR.

Why not clean it every time I shoot? Because I don't want to wear the gun out prematurely.

Ive never cleaned my 930SPX and the only problems Ive had are from cheap bulk shells. Itll eat what ever I feed even if I mix them up in the tube. As fast as you can pull the trigger with almost no recoil even with slugs. My only complaint is I wish the barrel was about 2'' longer and threaded. Dont really need the GR sights, but with slugs it helps.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The only problems Ive had with my Mossberg is cheap bulk pack shells FTE sometimes. The metal is so soft it expands in the chamber, but its not hard to get out.

Which bulk pack in particular? I've shot the cheap, off-brand crap through my FN without any problems.

Then again, chrome-plated barrel and chamber might have something to do with that. :p

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Which bulk pack in particular? I've shot the cheap, off-brand crap through my FN without any problems.

Then again, chrome-plated barrel and chamber might have something to do with that. :p

the 100 round white box. it one out of every 20-30 sticks and you can hold it next to another shell and see the metal is garbage. the QC sucks on those. any other shells zero problems

Top Bottom