• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    On one hand Younggun is kinda right about the actual yelling not being illegal.

But, for comparison, think about a person calling in a bomb hoax on a local elementary school at 10am on a Tuesday.

The responses generated for these call type are highest priority response with many lives at stake. The scene is huge, the response is huge. Commanders will want answers and someone will be held accountable.

I agree completely. And they should be.

It's the technicality that bugs me, and the way it's used. "We regulate the first so we can regulate the second". I don't see it as a regulation of the 1st amendment.

Not saying a debate on regulation of rights can't be had, I just don't believe the "fire" argument is really valid. Didn't think I'd have such a hard time explaining the reasoning.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    Military Camp

nonameisgood

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Big D
    Sounds like someone is the type to start the fire just so he can yell the alarm.
    As to the OP, maybe open, maybe concealed, maybe so poorly concealed under a sports coat that without open carry I wouldn't be legal. Seems like no one should really care if it visible or hidden since it's just another clothing accessory (so far as appearance goes.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    Not saying a debate on regulation of rights can't be had, I just don't believe the "fire" argument is really valid. Didn't think I'd have such a hard time explaining the reasoning.

Sent from my HAL 9000

The "fire" argument isn't valid at all. If you yell "fire" simply to cause panic, that's against the law and you can be prosecuted for that. If you want to yell "fire" to cause panic because you enjoy that sort of thing, but can't because you'll be arrested, are your 1st amendment rights restricted? I suppose, but that restriction probably passes some level of scrutiny. It's not that you have free speech that's the problem, but how you use it. But gun control people want to restrict access to guns, not just how we use them. Equating their restrictions to yelling "fire" is the equivalent of sewing your mouth shut. You wouldn't be allowed to say anything unless some authority approved it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have no idea exactly what you know lol. You do usually know your stuff though and I trust that.

By the letter of black and white law he has committed an offense. Getting to the point of applying the charge is the next thing.

It seems like this is a debate teetering on technicalities and/or semantics. And that’s ok, it works our brains. But the argument and application can be far apart.

If a person yells fire in a crowded theater, and there is no fire, he has committed an offense. His blanket statement is wrong. But what do I know?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    3387359347697b5a5ebe35d8e199c895.jpg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's causing alarm that is illegal (when it's not justified), not the speech.
    Yeah I get what you're saying... The analogy is misapplied. The right to free speech isn't being regulated; the harm to other people's rights due to the misuse of someone's speech is illegal. The end result is the same, but the nuance is important because it defines how we view "rights" and the law.

A better analogy would be you can't yell fire in a theater just as you can't fire a gun in the air in public.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    This thread is soon to be locked if the posts don't get back on topic....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    This thread is soon to be locked if the posts don't get back on topic....

Someone didn't read the thread title: "...for idiots"

We all qualify. :)

In all seriousness, the "idiocy" will come from all the folks that give/get VERBAL notices when they walk in somewhere and the owner hasn't posted but WANTED to.

Stormbringer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Someone didn't read the thread title: "...for idiots"

We all qualify. :)

In all seriousness, the "idiocy" will come from all the folks that give/get VERBAL notices when they walk in somewhere and the owner hasn't posted but WANTED to.

Giving in to the "liberal" attitude and "Political Correctness" against open carry is the real "idiocy". Since when is the free exercise of one's Constitutional Right "idiocy"? Feel free not to open carry but support those who chose to do so responsibly and as law abiding citizens. The criminal element will always be there breaking whatever laws and signs posted against open or concealed carry.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Giving in to the "liberal" attitude and "Political Correctness" against open carry is the real "idiocy". Since when is the free exercise of one's Constitutional Right "idiocy"? Feel free not to open carry but support those who chose to do so responsibly and as law abiding citizens. The criminal element will always be there breaking whatever laws and signs posted against open or concealed carry.
    Speaking of idiocy( or in your case just ignorance ) Mike is working to get an open carry lunch together on 1/1 or 1/2/2016. I know it may be difficult for you given what I have read of your postings, but try to think before you put your dick beaters to the key board.

Stormbringer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Again, feel free to Carry open or concealed...but to me you are part of the problem. Maybe you haven't been to one the many other states where open carry is the law but its not a big problem there. When has being on the side of supporting the 2nd Amendment and open carry been reduced to ridicule outside of the "liberal/progressive" Politicaly Correct crowd. Seems like the infection is indeed spreading in as much as our rights are eroding. Thank you for such an intelligent discussion.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Again, feel free to Carry open or concealed...but to me you are part of the problem. Maybe you haven't been to one the many other states where open carry is the law but its not a big problem there. When has being on the side of supporting the 2nd Amendment and open carry been reduced to ridicule outside of the "liberal/progressive" Politicaly Correct crowd. Seems like the infection is indeed spreading in as much as our rights are eroding. Thank you for such an intelligent discussion.
    Who let you in here?

Go away.

Top Bottom