Capitol Armory ad

OIS today in Austin - led the media frenzy begin!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sorry, but the homeowner screwed up.....had he left the firearm in his waistband, and informed the LEO that it was staying there, this wouldn't have happened. It would then have been up to the LEO to inform the man that he was taking custody of the weapon as part of a criminal investigation, at which point he'd have had to turn it over per the LEO's instructions.

Having said that, I will also say that I wish the LEO would have backed off a bit and bided his time. Sounds to me like there were some excited folks involved, and had he not advanced on the man, he likely could have diffused the situation. NOT saying that he "should" have - because I wasn't there to see it all, and I'm damned well NOT gonna rely on some reporters' story.
    DK Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    Don't get me wrong, pointing the gun at the LEO is the wrong move no matter what the situation. But the story as I quoted it said that the man had the gun in his waistband and didn't draw it until the officer tried to grab it. That throws a big red flag to me. Why was the cop so intent on disarming him? As several have said here, they've had interactions with the police in which they are armed and the officers didn't care. Would I have done the same thing? Hell no, I don't have a death wish. Let the APD **** up and sue them after, but LIVE!

All I'm saying is that I want to see any video/audio that exists, and to not have the event just swept under the rug. APD is crooked as hell, most LEOs get my respect and excellent cooperation at any meeting but a department that intentionally disobeys SCOTUS decisions and illegally confiscates citizen's property during legal activity while fabricating charges doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. They need to earn it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Don't get me wrong, pointing the gun at the LEO is the wrong move no matter what the situation. But the story as I quoted it said that the man had the gun in his waistband and didn't draw it until the officer tried to grab it. That throws a big red flag to me. Why was the cop so intent on disarming him? As several have said here, they've had interactions with the police in which they are armed and the officers didn't care. Would I have done the same thing? Hell no, I don't have a death wish. Let the APD **** up and sue them after, but LIVE!

All I'm saying is that I want to see any video/audio that exists, and to not have the event just swept under the rug. APD is crooked as hell, most LEOs get my respect and excellent cooperation at any meeting but a department that intentionally disobeys SCOTUS decisions and illegally confiscates citizen's property during legal activity while fabricating charges doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. They need to earn it.

If you shoot someone in self defense do you think the cops arriving to the scene will take your gun away?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    If you shoot someone in self defense do you think the cops arriving to the scene will take your gun away?

Of course they will. And of course you would cooperate. But that's quite different from calling the police to your house to file a report and standing in your yard with a holstered gun.

Again, I don't in any way think the guy handled it the right way. Any sequence of events that leads to you dying means you messed up somewhere. But I also won't take the Austin media or APD's word for it, I want to see the evidence.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Of course they will. And of course you would cooperate. But that's quite different from calling the police to your house to file a report and standing in your yard with a holstered gun.

No, it is the same. The police arrived to investigate a felony and found a man with a gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    No, it is the same. The police arrived to investigate a felony and found a man with a gun.

Again, I don't in any way think the guy handled it the right way. Any sequence of events that leads to you dying means you messed up somewhere. But I also won't take the Austin media or APD's word for it, I want to see the evidence.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    "Again, I don't in any way think the guy handled it the right way. Any sequence of events that leads to you dying means you messed up somewhere. But I also won't take the Austin media or APD's word for it, I want to see the evidence. "

This. Never trust local Austin "news" media. Also don't care too much for chief of APD. Kalifornia transplant.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Never EVER leave your home to go outside. NEVER !

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I have run into John a few times at the rifle club. We were discussing him at lunch today. Very sad event for both the office and John if all is the way Acevedo reported it. May he rest in peace and the officer's emotional/mental wounds from this heal quickly.

I also hope there is some video evidence that tells us exactly what happened. I normally want to find APD in the right in their officer shootings, but in this case, I hope that the facts don't align with the store we've heard.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I believe the story up to the point where they said he drew the gun and pointed it at the officers. I believe that he refused to disarm himself and they shot him.

The dead man was experienced enough to know that a gun is not a bluff. If the situation is bad enough to DRAW the pistol, it's bad enough to fire it. Cops take care of themselves. It's not an accusation....it's a fact. I think they added "Drew the gun and pointed it.....the officer, fearing for his life, fired and killed the suspect" to seal the deal on a justified shooting. That statement is used so often that it's getting worn out and I don't buy it.

Still, if I called the law, I would have put the gun in the house as a precaution. It was a stupid move to keep it even though he was on his own property.

Flash

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    To soon to pass judgment I would like to see tape,however I do believe APD has problems as do many departments IMO far too militarized and like society as a whole far less common sense used but more of a them vs us rule. For me one of the few agencies I trust today is the sheriff's across the USA.

In this case I feel bad for both sides no winners here.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    Quick to fire? That is just fucked thinking.

Some of you have never been in a real deadly force situation, and have no business passing judgments, based on a couple of the comments here.

I wasn't indicating that he wasn't thinking or that he shouldn't have done it. I clearly stated that he did the RIGHT thing by what he did. Perhaps I chose the wrong words. What I meant is that if he had hesitated for a moment maybe the situation would have turned out differently, but he didn't hesitate nor should he have. You don't know what the other person's intentions are ultimately, all you can go on is their body language and when he drew the gun that was enough for the officer to respond with deadly force, as he should have. I guess what I was getting at was playing devil's advocate for a moment, as so many people will play, but quickly dismissing that argument.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I believe the story up to the point where they said he drew the gun and pointed it at the officers. I believe that he refused to disarm himself and they shot him.

The dead man was experienced enough to know that a gun is not a bluff. If the situation is bad enough to DRAW the pistol, it's bad enough to fire it. Cops take care of themselves. It's not an accusation....it's a fact. I think they added "Drew the gun and pointed it.....the officer, fearing for his life, fired and killed the suspect" to seal the deal on a justified shooting. That statement is used so often that it's getting worn out and I don't buy it.

Still, if I called the law, I would have put the gun in the house as a precaution. It was a stupid move to keep it even though he was on his own property.

Flash

From KXAN today. Officer shoots, kills man with gun | KXAN.com
    A woman who calls herself Lena lives three houses down from where the shooting happened. She walked outside and witnessed the confrontation.
    "Him and the guy were in close proximity," said Lena. "And he had no other choice but to protect himself. The guy didn't want to put the gun down."

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hmmm. I'm confused as to why shooting a dog that attacked you in your back yard is a felony. For discharge of a weapon?

Look, we see this same sort of thing all the time - if the guys who can legally carry guns tell you stop/raise your hands/drop your weapon/etc. then the smart thing to do is obey. You can sort out the details later.

But this one bothers me a bit because I could easily see myself being pissed off enough to be exactly in the same place as the guy who got shot. I would not be willing to give up my firearm or to surrender to the cops for defending my own property. And if the cop tried to physically take the weapon, I would react very, very badly.

Yeah, I understand all the legal arguments and the practical one that I even stated. But I could still see the same scenario playing out if it were my house.

As for the cop, it does not sound like he did a very good job of dealing with the situation either. Even if he has 100% of the right to disarm the guy, a good cop should have been able to talk to him and defuse the situation. I've seen this in my own neighborhood when a guy got overwhelmed and tried the 'suicide-by-cop' route. He got lucky; the senior officer responding to the call talked the situation down.

Fortunately for the cop, he shot a white guy - and an 'evil gun instructor' at that. After the investigation, he'll be congratulated.

The whole damn thing is a sad case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom