• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Those guys are famous for having what you need. Its out of the way for me, but I like to shop there when I can.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Big box stores ruined small town hardware, just like franchises ruined food ...

Nope. People chose where to spend their money. If anyone ruined anything it was the people who stopped shopping at the hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Finally found a double bit ax handle. HD or Lowes neither one had them. Elliot's Hardware in Plano for the win. Those guys always have what you need. They may only have one or two, but they got it.
    We had one like that in Killeen years ago. Didn't matter what you asked for, seemed like they had it. Asked for a trigger switch for a 25 year old aluminum Black and Decker once. Yup, they had it. Guy that owned it sold out and retired after 45 yrs. New owner got rid of "obsolete" items. Lasted 3 years before he closed it down. Dumbass.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    We had one like that in Killeen years ago. Didn't matter what you asked for, seemed like they had it. Asked for a trigger switch for a 25 year old aluminum Black and Decker once. Yup, they had it. Guy that owned it sold out and retired after 45 yrs. New owner got rid of "obsolete" items. Lasted 3 years before he closed it down. Dumbass.

Love to go to those small town hardware stores and just browse. Most of those old time places had things on the shelves that were there from the turn on the last century. 100% product turnover was rare.

Did a cabinet and trim job in the Heights in Houston a few years back, and Grogan Lumber and Hardware on Yale still had period trim and crown molding in stock that had been there since the 1930's, most likely the source for the old trim I was needing to match.

But have also taken a hit a few times by a Mom & Pop hardware - from items that had a shelf life that was not obvious on the product.

Plastic resin wood glues, like Weldwood, have a critical shelf life and the only way to check the age is to run the lot# on the manufacturer's website.

Purchased a couple of cans for large, curved, architectural project, from a Mom & Pop hardware only to find it had been sitting on the shelf for 6 years ... but apparently dusted off once a week. ;)

It is the ideal glue for laminated projects, just don't buy Weldwood at a local hardware store unless you want a callback a few years down the road with a glue that had only a 50% strength due to age.

Caught it in time, but that would have been a disaster for both my bottom line at the time, and reputation.

The big box stores, with their JIT inventory systems don't keep anything in stock that long.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    There is a cool one in Blossom, TX I like to stop at. Nice gun offerings too. Fair prices on parts. But its the old school hardware scene I like most. My grandpa was a jack of all trades, and I spent many hours with him in those places.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Yawn... whats so significant about that? Happens about 8 times a day at my house;) One night there was a strong north wind. My boy whipped his out and pissed all over my leg and was back in the house before I even could react. Crazy little dude....
    He lives in downtown Abilene with some really close neighbors.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He lives in downtown Abilene with some really close neighbors.
    tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      54.9 KB · Views: 189

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Bible Hardware in Abilene was a great "go to" place, competitive prices with big box, employee owned...even sold guns and ammo until it wasn't worth the hassle. Sold a few years ago and now "not so much" .......

Top Bottom