• ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Got me to thinking.

One of the reasons I have considered living in a fully sprinklered high rise is that insurance should be cheap, maybe unnecessary. Last time I checked, it was (to me) astonishingly expensive.

I should check again. I just paid my insurance and I'm pretty motivated right now.
    My buddies dad lived in 2 different ones. Seemed like an awful lots of people with their palm out. I guess if you did all your meals out & never brought in groceries it's ok. If you have high rise money my guess your really not going to be bitching about insurance increases. Most of the views of Houston from a high rise really doesn't do much for me.

It was a PITA going over to see him. If you didn't use the valet it was a walk checking in at the front desk sucked. If he forgot to call down then they would call up. If he did answer then you had to wait. And then there are the elevators with people eye pouching you or asking questions that aint any of their business.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I at least got a refrigerator magnet
    I seen the bill this morning right after getting out of bed, so I figure might as well get it out of the way. I try to open the pay bill part of the email & it won't load. Finally when it does & I thinking I got it I get an error. Two more attempts before I figure out it my bank not approving the big withdrawal. So then I have to call the bank to approve it. Now I see why they want ro charge what they do for a paper statement/bill.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I have had the same insurance guy fo damn near 40 years. He said lots of companies are pulling out of Texas.
    I had my homeowners insurance doubled 2 months ago. Called my insurance man and he told me that a lot of insurance providers were raising their cost to us because they want to get out of Texas. Needless to say, I now have a different insurance provider.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you have high rise money my guess your really not going to be bitching about insurance increases.
    I definitely don't which is why I'm joining in on the bitching about the cost of insurance.

"Highrise" doesn't mean "big money" if you're willing to live in an old (possibly garbage) building in a very bad part of town.

I cogitate on this stuff because it's likely that my sister will precede me in death. If she does, despite the fact that I adore my old-fashioned suburban neighborhood where kids still play in the streets, I won't be emotionally capable of continuing to live in the house where I watched the only two women who ever loved me waste away and die. I need to keep options in the back of my mind for when I will eventually need them.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    where kids still play in the streets, I won't be emotionally capable of continuing to live in the house where I watched the only two women who ever loved me waste away and die. I need to keep options in the back of my mind for when I will eventually need them.

Find a smaller town/city with nice things that appeal to you, buy a small house and move there. Condo's all over are driving residents completely nuts with ongoing fees/assessment increases. And move into one with any significant amount of deferred maintenance, and you could buy that small town house and still bank money cheaper. And insurance rates are getting even worse with any kind of condo/apartment style living.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    That excuse going on everywehre. Farmers allegedly pulling out of a bunch of states and raising rates in others. Have heard the excuse of "well accidents have gone up in your area, so rates are going up" when asked why they're raising rates with zero claims on the policy.
    That excuse going on everywehre. Farmers allegedly pulling out of a bunch of states and raising rates in others.

Have heard the excuse of "well accidents have gone up in your area, so rates are going up" when asked why they're raising rates with zero claims on the policy.
    With all of the illegals driving - without any insurance - the car insurance rates will become astronomical. And everyone will need uninsured motorist insurance to boot.

Plus with more and more states refusing to impound vehicles driven without insurance it will be a nationwide problem.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    From what I hear many people are going without insurance because it is so expensive.
    It amazes me but I know for a fact that it is the truth.
    In 2011 when the wildfires hit our area in Bastrop, almost 1700 structures were destroyed.
    The area I live in is mostly upper income level and after the fires were under control, my wife and I imediately went to work on getting floor plans together and finding a contractor.
    Many of the other neighbors were doing the same, but it was suprising how many lots sat untouched for years afterwards because the owners were either uninsured or under insured.
    If I could not afford to insure my home, I would have to seriously consider selling and finding something that I could afford.

Top Bottom