• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I sold some guns and stuff at a local club swap meet so I could buy a used 10/22 take-down threaded rifle that a LGS had. According to Ruger, the rifle was shipped in 2018 and is no longer in production. It looks really good and the "back pack" it came with was only moderately dirty. Stock and back pack are Mica-Bronze, an ugly tan-ish color. It had everything that the factory shipped it with. The gunsmith at the store installed the combo tip off/weaver style rail for me so I didn't have to chance screwing that up. I have multiple magazines for it as I had a early 10/22 I sold and I currently have a Charger that I bought some extra mags for. I order a Sig MSR red dot with 2 MOA as this will be a plinking gun not a target gun. But I do have a couple of .22 scopes in storage if I change me mind.

Questions for the learned 10/22 fans: what accessories would I need to invest in to make this a nice range gun/teaching gun for my grandson? bipod?

Thanks for read my diatribe.

Chris
    DK Firearms

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Great choice to teach grandson. I'd suggest a good sling- used properly it can really add an extra points of contact. Adjustable, but stays put. Not slippery or too wide.

An Appleseed event is also great for reinforcing the basics and drilling the safety home.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I sold some guns and stuff at a local club swap meet so I could buy a used 10/22 take-down threaded rifle that a LGS had. According to Ruger, the rifle was shipped in 2018 and is no longer in production. It looks really good and the "back pack" it came with was only moderately dirty. Stock and back pack are Mica-Bronze, an ugly tan-ish color. It had everything that the factory shipped it with. The gunsmith at the store installed the combo tip off/weaver style rail for me so I didn't have to chance screwing that up. I have multiple magazines for it as I had a early 10/22 I sold and I currently have a Charger that I bought some extra mags for. I order a Sig MSR red dot with 2 MOA as this will be a plinking gun not a target gun. But I do have a couple of .22 scopes in storage if I change me mind.

Questions for the learned 10/22 fans: what accessories would I need to invest in to make this a nice range gun/teaching gun for my grandson? bipod?

Thanks for read my diatribe.

Chris
    Like LB said a sling would be good accessory.

If it were me teaching a new shooter I would not put a red dot or scope on it. I think that new shooters should learn to use open sights first and when they are proficient with the irons then go on to red dots and scopes.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    My youngest son started on a charger. He still loves it. I added a red dot, ruger bx trigger, magpul sl grip, bipod and auto bolt release. Those made it very seriously friendly. It also wears a dead air mask which helps for those scared of noise.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Like LB said a sling would be good accessory.

If it were me teaching a new shooter I would not put a red dot or scope on it. I think that new shooters should learn to use open sights first and when they are proficient with the irons then go on to red dots and scopes.

I totally agree with this. I learned to shoot with iron sights on a .22lr rifle. It was a marlin 60 instead of a 10/22. I still love shooting that rifle. Have fun teaching grand kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Roll it around in the magpul catalog. The red dot mount and backpacker stock are must haves.

20240123_105504.jpg

I also recommend a suppressor

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    hey zachmars, I have a suppressor and the red dot just shipped. Why would you mount the dot on the barrel and not the receiver? Just wondering.

Chris

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    hey zachmars, I have a suppressor and the red dot just shipped. Why would you mount the dot on the barrel and not the receiver? Just wondering.

Chris

The barrel is removable, so if the dot is mounted to the receiver you might not get the exact same POI if you break the gun down. Also be sure the barrel collar is super tight and to rack the action a few times whenever you put the gun back together, iirc the manual says 3 times.

Mine can do about half an inch at 50 yards with cci sv

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Nice choice cporfe. Still the best 22 platform that ever graced the planet. I don't own any take downs but the mods I appreciate the most are the Nordic extended mag release and a nice trigger job. Only takes working the hammer to get down to 2lbs if you wanted. For a new shooter I'd let them get in some trigger time before considering reworking the hammer.

I've also done the bolt release modification and it's convenient but it's important to know you should never try to chamber a round without a magazine present. Throughout my function tests I've set off a primed case by dropping the bolt without a magazine. I also run a tuffer buffer in all of mine. Reduces the metal to metal slap of the bolt as it's fired.

If you headspace the bolt face it will reduce the group size but that's for experienced hands only. Easy to turn that plinker into a precision rifle that can rival any bolt gun.

As far as ammo it doesn't get better than federal auto match. It groups as good as several high end brands within 50 yards. Used to be right at 21$ for 325rd boxes. I used to burn through brick after brick of CCI blazer. The 40gr solid is also great shooting ammo. It's a shame the old wolf MT is no longer produced by SK in Germany. That was my go to for precision work.

Regarding magazines, everything but the bx magazines by Ruger are less than reliable. The BX15 is one of my favorites. The butler creek hi caps are pretty good and a mag loader makes for some high volume fun without the sore thumbs. Go get some ammo and enjoy!

Top Bottom