• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brandy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Houston
    Hi, everyone. My name is Brandy, I'm a Houston native and will taking my first trip to the range this Saturday morning.

I've yet to shoot anything aside from a BB or pellet gun and being born and raised in Houston, that's something most people can't say, lol. Jk.

I'll be shooting my sister's 38 and a friend's 40 caliber. I'm excited! I will also be buying my first gun in July and I have no idea what to get yet. Hoping to learn a lot and get some good advice from this forum!

Nice to meet ya.
    Texas SOT

@cuet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    San Antonio
    Welcome, It all depends on what you want. I spent 6-8months testing and shooting friends weapons, surfing youtube, etc....until I finally decided on the LWRC &Sig Sauer 226. But you sound like you are off to a great start...welcome:)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hi, Brandy - and welcome! You'll find a number of folks on this board from the Houston area as well, all with a pretty broad spectrum of guns, so if you want to try some others out, I'll bet you'll find folks willin' to meet you at the range to try 'em!

If you like the .40, try to get your hands on a Beretta Mdl. 96 Compact and give it a try - it's one of my personal favorites. And just so you'll know, my 5', 100 lb wife shoots a .45 1911 like it was born in her hand - so don't let a "big" gun scare ya!

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    TexasRedneck speaks the truth. A properly tuned 1911 can handle just as or more smoothly than some 9mm's. If you're looking for a semi-auto, depending on your hand size, a Browning high power makes a wonderful full size weapon, their reliable and simple as can be, as well they are a piece of cake to keep on target. If compact is what you're looking for, .38 spl +p in a smith and wesson airweight is hard to beat. Be warned though, the smaller you go in pistol size with semi-auto's, the greater the stiffness of recoil will be. With a shorter recoil distance, they have to have much stouter springs and as a result can slam around quite a bit.

Welcome, and hope the search goes well.

Top Bottom