• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah the EJ engine really sux man, that's why they will reilably hold 500HP+ in 2.5 liter engines and have won races all over the world. That's why an entire sub-culture and parts industry in based on them. But we are all stupid. And you are the only guy smart enough to know how much subaru engines suck. Did the doctor miss and drop you on your head when you came out?

The EJ257 motor is not a great design. The world wide version of the EJ powerplant is significantly different, it's a 2.0L motor which has numerous benefits to alleviate the issues with the 2.5L motors we get. The pistons are too big because the motor cannot remain a horizontal layout with a big stroke unless you reduce the rod length significantly which greatly increases internal stress. Hence, the motor is a patchwork ... and it suffers from headgasket and piston durability as a result.

The motors that reliably hold 500+ HP have forged pistons, forged rods, nitrated crankshafts, sleeves, and have gone to a closed deck or semi-closed deck design. Even then, you don't really hear about all the little maintenance and headaches associated with them.

Most of the ringland issues are probably due to people driving the piss out of the cars and not taking care of them, and Subaru's crappy OEM tune, and the horizontal motor loving to put oil through the PCV system. I've been running OTS and ProTune on my STI with anywhere from 14 PSI to 21 PSI since 24 miles with no ringland issues. I drive the piss out of my car, but I do it in spurts to ensure that chamber and block temps have time to lessen. I also monitor for knock and know specific patterns that create it.

Mid-engined and rear engined cars like the Porsches, especially the N/A models are easy to launch also. They are nearly as fast on a good surface from my experience. On a less than ideal surface like your average commuter road ... AWD is a massive advantage. I can launch my STI off the launch control at 5500 RPM and 1 BAR of boost with very little spin. You simply cannot hope to put down the power like that in a RWD car ... it just doesn't happen without running some sort of prepped surface or a drag radial and some spin. It'd take a significant power advantage to hold tight with an STI or EVO off a launch in a RWD car.
    ARJ Defense ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There's a minimum cranking speed to get an accurate compression test (can't recall for sure, but I want to say 400 RPM). Cranking it over by hand, you can say "it feels like there's no compression", but you can't run a proper compression test.

300 RPM

and yes, you can do a test of the compression without a starter. It's called a leak-down test, but I doubt they performed one of those.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Most of the ringland issues are probably due to people driving the piss out of the cars and not taking care of them, and Subaru's crappy OEM tune, and the horizontal motor loving to put oil through the PCV system. I've been running OTS and ProTune on my STI with anywhere from 14 PSI to 21 PSI since 24 miles with no ringland issues. I drive the piss out of my car, but I do it in spurts to ensure that chamber and block temps have time to lessen. I also monitor for knock and know specific patterns that create it.
    What's the point if you have to do it in spurts? Do they expect you to do only one hot lap at a time, then come into the pits to let the engine cool down? That is not a reliable engine, by any interpretation of the term. I got my STi's with the intention of participating in Texas Rally Sport. Admittedly I got into my first STi without doing much research, and quickly traded it for a modified STi which in my ignorance seemed like a good deal. It was a true bolt-on-only car so how bad could it be? Complete engine failure, in fact...

My pushrod V8s can run on the ragged edge mile after mile, with no risk of engine failure. The 6.4 LSX in my Audi happily revs to 8500rpm.

Mid-engined and rear engined cars like the Porsches, especially the N/A models are easy to launch also. They are nearly as fast on a good surface from my experience. On a less than ideal surface like your average commuter road ... AWD is a massive advantage. I can launch my STI off the launch control at 5500 RPM and 1 BAR of boost with very little spin. You simply cannot hope to put down the power like that in a RWD car ... it just doesn't happen without running some sort of prepped surface or a drag radial and some spin. It'd take a significant power advantage to hold tight with an STI or EVO off a launch in a RWD car.
    My RWD Audi cuts a 1.52 60ft on DOT radials. I'd like to see an AWD do that without grenading a diff or shearing a half shaft. There's a reason why 99.9% of drag cars are RWD. I'd rather my tires slip than my axles break.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I don't really think engine swaps are worth the hassle... I'd just buy a vette.

...or maybe I should find a Cayman with an exploded engine and do an LS swap in it

RX8 is an excellent platform for an LS swap.

I don't think you could fit an LS in a Cayman without completely tubing it. It will be hard to find a transaxle, as well.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't think you could fit an LS in a Cayman without completely tubing it. It will be hard to find a transaxle, as well.
    A Pantera transaxle would work, but yeah those aren't too common. I do know a guy that has one and is just sitting on it, tho.

You'd have to stretch a Cayman a good ways to fit an LS engine in it...
    Hmm, maybe an STi engine instead then

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Look what woodlands town center valet did to my friends cts-v while we were at dinner

utusa2ub.jpg

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What's the point if you have to do it in spurts? Do they expect you to do only one hot lap at a time, then come into the pits to let the engine cool down? That is not a reliable engine, by any interpretation of the term. I got my STi's with the intention of participating in Texas Rally Sport. Admittedly I got into my first STi without doing much research, and quickly traded it for a modified STi which in my ignorance seemed like a good deal. It was a true bolt-on-only car so how bad could it be? Complete engine failure, in fact...

I'm obviously not going to change your opinion on the STI. The platform does have some issues, like any other car, but it's still a capable engine. I have 24,000 miles on mine without an issue, pushing 20+ lbs. of boost and producing 300whp / 340wtq.

If you just throw parts at a modern turbo car and don't tune it properly then you can expect a grenaded motor. Emissions and ever increasing performance capabilities are hamstringing the way you modify a car. In the 90s and early 00s you could just BPU a car and drive it around with no issue. Now, the multiple levels of maps, the hypersensitive MAFs, emissions oriented fuel trims, etc. are reducing the threashold.

Perhaps that's why I've not had trouble with my cars ... yet others have.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My RWD Audi cuts a 1.52 60ft on DOT radials. I'd like to see an AWD do that without grenading a diff or shearing a half shaft. There's a reason why 99.9% of drag cars are RWD. I'd rather my tires slip than my axles break.

All cars have trouble when you add traction to their drivetrains. AWD or otherwise ...

I'm interested in what all you have done to your Audi to pull that kind of 60'.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I'm obviously not going to change your opinion on the STI. The platform does have some issues, like any other car, but it's still a capable engine. I have 24,000 miles on mine without an issue, pushing 20+ lbs. of boost and producing 300whp / 340wtq.

If you just throw parts at a modern turbo car and don't tune it properly then you can expect a grenaded motor. Emissions and ever increasing performance capabilities are hamstringing the way you modify a car. In the 90s and early 00s you could just BPU a car and drive it around with no issue. Now, the multiple levels of maps, the hypersensitive MAFs, emissions oriented fuel trims, etc. are reducing the threashold.

Perhaps that's why I've not had trouble with my cars ... yet others have.
    Don't get me wrong, I am STILL a fan of the STi. It's one helluva platform, just not the right platform for what I currently want my cars to do. I just can't stand the fanboisms that seem all too common with STi owners (certainly not pointing the finger at you). Though I'm a GM V8 guy, and I admit that we can be just as bad.

I'm very familiar with engine tuning. In fact, I used to build GM GenIII/IV on the side before it got too political with the customers. My last Vette w2w racecar had a 454 C5R built and (mostly) tuned by yours truly. I can only assume that my white STi had a LOT more done to it than I was lead to believe; that it was detuned for the sale. (It only had true bolt-ons which were known to be reliable.) Either that, or the previous owner did not break it in properly. Regardless, the ringland failure does seem to be a common enough issue among the latest generation of STi, that I am disappointed in Subaru's decision to not do anything about it.

I'm interested in what all you have done to your Audi to pull that kind of 60'.
    4-link Ford 9in with a Detroit and 26in ET Street Radial IIs.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I would go ape shit

Honestly, insurance covered it, paid for by the Valet service. And the way we see it, it could have prevented us from getting in a wreck and getting killed on the way home, or something like that. Positive thoughts. I just lost two friends from highschool this week from car accidents, one here in Texas, another in massachusetts, or however you spell it.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Honestly, insurance covered it, paid for by the Valet service. And the way we see it, it could have prevented us from getting in a wreck and getting killed on the way home, or something like that. Positive thoughts. I just lost two friends from highschool this week from car accidents, one here in Texas, another in massachusetts, or however you spell it.
    I would hope they would cover it... You are a lot more positive than I would be... damage like that because someone had their head stuck in their bum drives me up a wall. Anyways... glad the damage was covered and I am sorry to hear about your friends... That is some rough stuff.. I know EXACTLY how that goes.. I lost 4 of my best friends on their graduation night in a car wreck. I would have been with them celebrating if it werent for work..

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A Pantera transaxle would work, but yeah those aren't too common. I do know a guy that has one and is just sitting on it, tho.

Hmm, maybe an STi engine instead then

Yeah, that would be a better fit; probably better than the stock 6 cylinder. Plumbing the turbo for an intercooler would be a complete bitch, though. You either go with an inter-heater (too small/not enough airflow causing it to actually store heat like the stock VW/Audi crap) with low lag, or run pipes to good airflow and deal with horrible amounts of lag so you can actually make power.

I would go ape shit

Meh, it's just a car, and they're going to pay for it. Why worry?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Because you run on a prepped surface with really sticky tires, and tuned spring rates to let weight transfer takes care of the rest.

WTH Audi is RWD, and how is it cutting that kind of 60 foot without grenading the weak-ass trans that VW builds?

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Meh, it's just a car, and they're going to pay for it. Why worry?

Not really worried about the car getting fixed... I would be pissed because the car now has to be fixed (an inconvenience in my mind) and because it was less of an accident and more because some idiot is very careless with someone else's property.

Top Bottom