Patriot Mobile

Nerds: which external hard drive maker/model do you prefer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Going by straight statistics, Seagate has the lowest failure rate followed by Hitachi and then Western Digital. That said, there are so many factors that come into effect for a hdd lifespan. Between all of my computers I have 4 samsung ssd's, 3 seagates, 1 hitachi and 3 western digitals. I have only ever had 2 hard drive failures...1 was an OCZ ssd and the other a Western Digital 500 GB.

Go with whichever has the speeds/price that suit you.

EDIT: just realized you said external...though these are essentially internals in a external bay. Same answer pretty much. I would suggest looking at the Seagate Central series though. They're essentially plug and play DLNS servers. What this means is you can store content on there and access it from anything on your network and even access some of it remotely.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    USB 3.0 if PC. Thunderbolt if Mac.

ETA - FYI the compact ones are USB powered and do not require external source.

Also consider a Samsung a SSD for BU.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Micropolis.

;)

On the serious side, I fell victim to the Zip "Click of Death", the Seagate 1TB problem, and the DeathStars. (Where the Seagate is concerned, I've still got the drive and someday I'll do that crazy recovery-with-a-business-card thing.)

Given my experience, then, I basically assume that all hard drives are crap and keep my user-space files duplicated online and backed-up offline at all times.

The first 3TB drives got a bad reputation, early, so I skipped that step. I just buy 4TB drives on price and don't pay any attention to brand.

My feeling is that the box it's mounted in is more important since the enclosure and interface are the way you interact with it both physically and online. For a Linux user like me, that pretty much dictates (unless things have changed recently...and I freely admit to not keeping up over the last couple of years) an e-Sata interface; all my external drives are connected that way.

As for the physical box, buying good quality is never a mistake. Buying crap is a mistake I've made far too many times.

For the desktop, where noise is a problem, I stuff any random 4TB drive into one of the Icy Dock enclosures I have laying around.

IcyDock_zps4f1021f7.jpg

For the server, where size and noise are no big deal, I use a CRU-Dataport.

865507_zps7c0b25c1.jpg

For people who really want to explore the subject, I highly recommend: StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Last edited:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Western Digital. If you go to the WD website, you can download a free version of Acronis Backup that only works with WD drives. The Acronis software is excellent. <tin foil hat on> Don't leave any personal information on your main hard drive. Only attach when you need it. <tin foil hat off> The USB 3.0 drives are so fast that you do not have speed penalties with an external drive.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have had a couple WD's die on me. Both internal drives though. I have two Seagate, one a 500gig, one a terra. No issues with either. I think both are the "Freeagent" variety.

Will google the "click of death" issue you referenced.

edit - It turns out the click of death issue affected the "Expansion" line, not the Free Agent line.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It turns out the click of death issue affected the "Expansion" line, not the Free Agent line.
    Actually, the "click of death" that got me was from Zip drives, pre-dating the era of common external hard drives. It was my way of saying that I don't expect *any* external media to be reliable.

I was dimly aware that the phrase "click of death" had been used for other things but I didn't know exactly what.

When it comes to favorite hard drives, though, I vote for any drive with a glass platter. They are so easy to decommission at end of life. ;)

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've got a 2 TB Iomega that has been good to me for a couple of years. And Ben, all of our work HD's get decommissioned with one shot with a BFH.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And Ben, all of our work HD's get decommissioned with one shot with a BFH.
    My work required 7 random overwrites followed by basic physical destruction. Glass platters made that last part easy to do indoors, in the office, without making a mess. Anything with metal platters, well, we had one guy who liked to make sculpture out of the internals. Personally, I like the old "Put 'em on a stump and slice 'em with an axe" method that I use at home.

As for your experience, I love drive enclosures that come with a "Shoot Here" graphic. There's just something that always strikes me as funny about that.

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    My Poodle got wrapped around the wire on my WD and pulled it off desk now it won't work...... have too much important stuff on it . Must take it to Geek Squad and get ripped off.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Not sure who makes the drives but I have two 500gb toshibas going on 8 years old. One is used daily. Thin small and usb powered.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    xbasbajajjs
    Top Bottom