• ...and so much more!
  • D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    <>

If you have cataracts, get them fixed as soon as they are sufficiently ‘’mature’’.

The intra-ocular lens implants work wonderfully.

<>
    No it’s nothing that serious. It’s just slightly declining. I have to wear glasses now for reading and when using a computer. I don’t need glasses to drive or anything like that.
    ARJ Defense ad

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'd say slap a red dot on it or eotech on it and call it a day. That'll cover the self defense aspect and get you out to a couple of hundred yards easily. You can ad a magnifier later if you wish to shoot further. Or buy an LPVO which will cover both, but not be as efficient up close. Acogs are great, but if home defense is the main purpose of the rifle I would much prefer a red dot or reflex sight. Much faster and easier to use than a fixed or variable power optic.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Good looking rifle.

What trigger?

Since the rail is Midwest Industries that makes some things easier. Swap the rail out for picatinny or MLok but just the rail using the same barrel nut.

Radian LT charging handle will make a world of difference. Geissele ACH is my favorite charging handle but it’s pricey.

B5 pistol grip has a better angle in my opinion. B5 stock will be a little more comfortable than the Magpul CTR you have and it won’t break the bank. Magpul PRS Lite is also a great option and their PRS stock is also nice but pricey.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    This forum always makes me laugh. Bro asked for optic recommendations and is now hearing unsolicited anecdotal advice on swapping out stocks, grips, rails, etc. I almost spit coffee with the mention of the Magpul PRS, that overweight slab of polymer doesn't belong anywhere near a home defense carbine IMHO. There's nothing wrong with that setup as it sits. Throw an optic on the upper receiver portion of pic rail and go shoot.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Good looking rifle.

What trigger?

Since the rail is Midwest Industries that makes some things easier. Swap the rail out for picatinny or MLok but just the rail using the same barrel nut.

Radian LT charging handle will make a world of difference. Geissele ACH is my favorite charging handle but it’s pricey.

B5 pistol grip has a better angle in my opinion. B5 stock will be a little more comfortable than the Magpul CTR you have and it won’t break the bank. Magpul PRS Lite is also a great option and their PRS stock is also nice but pricey.
    To be honest I don't know what trigger was used. I don't remember discussing any upgrades to it or anything so I am sure it's nothing fancy. I've been thinking of getting a Geissele trigger or maybe now a LaRue. I've heard good thinking about both. I will check out the rail, charging handle, grip, and stock you mentioned too. Thanks.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    This forum always makes me laugh. Bro asked for optic recommendations and is now hearing unsolicited anecdotal advice on swapping out stocks, grips, rails, etc. I almost spit coffee with the mention of the Magpul PRS, that overweight slab of polymer doesn't belong anywhere near a home defense carbine IMHO. There's nothing wrong with that setup as it sits. Throw an optic on the upper receiver portion of pic rail and go shoot.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    You’re right, my bad. I forgot he had two threads going, one for optics and one for a build.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Talk is cheap. Slap whatever you want on it then go buy a couple cases of 5.56 and shoot the damn thing. Use your newly acquired experience to decide if it works for you then adjust accordingly.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I want my rifle to be dead accurate up to lets say 500 yards and the range for this particular rifle. I also plan to use it for home defense. I figured the ACOG would allow me to do both. My vision has been getting worse so the magnification will come in handy. I don't mind spending the money if it is high quality. I will check the suggestions you made as well. Thanks.

I refer back to my comment about trying to make a long range precision CQB rifle (that someone seemed to not like).

A rifle that meets that typical idea of “dead nuts” at 500 yards is going to be unwieldy and impractical for home defense.

A practical home defense rifle setup will be sub optimal for 500 yard shooting. It will shoot that far, but the optics you’d want for each are very different, barrels lengths and contours, balance, etc. not much overlap.

As for optics, I really like EoTech holographic sights. I really hate that I’ve owned 2 and both faded over the years. Really doubt I’ll buy another. For the price they should last 10+ years.

I’d lean towards the 1-4 or 1-6X if I wanted a rifle that could fill multiple roles and build it around home defense, and just accept the limitations and longer distances. Red dots are more forgiving when it comes to parallax though.

In the end, a great HD rifle will not be a great 500 yard rifle. And a great 500 yard rifle won’t be great for home defense.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I think for now at least I will settle on the sig tango. I am almost 100% sure that's my final choice. Its got decent eye relief and seems to be popular and reviews on it seem good. The price is decent too. I think for the HD I will just use a laser/flashlight combo. Part of me wants to get the EOTech but I can't decide between the red and the green haha so this just might have to be the tie-breaker.

Sig Tango LVPO 1-6x

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I am in need of new optics for my AR Rifle. I have used EOTECH holographic in the past. But now I am wondering if I should try a Trijicon ACOG. Is the ACOG similar to the eotech holographic w magnifier, but all in one? Is there anything else you would recommend? I would eventually like to get something for long range, but I don't think this rifle is for that purpose. Its main purpose is home defense and some target shooting.

Eotech is perfect for home defense. You can always add a flip to side magnifier if you want to stretch it out a little further. It allows you to run a 1x at closer ranges and in seconds you can flip it over for magnification.

I have both Eotech and Romeo 5 for HD guns. The shake awake feature on the 5 is nice. If you like the chevron, Trijicon Tripower 1x is another option.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Eotech is perfect for home defense. You can always add a flip to side magnifier if you want to stretch it out a little further. It allows you to run a 1x at closer ranges and in seconds you can flip it over for magnification.

I have both Eotech and Romeo 5 for HD guns. The shake awake feature on the 5 is nice. If you like the chevron, Trijicon Tripower 1x is another option.
    have you tried the green Eotech before?

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I think for now at least I will settle on the sig tango. I am almost 100% sure that's my final choice. Its got decent eye relief and seems to be popular and reviews on it seem good. The price is decent too. I think for the HD I will just use a laser/flashlight combo. Part of me wants to get the EOTech but I can't decide between the red and the green haha so this just might have to be the tie-breaker.

Sig Tango LVPO 1-6x

I love my Sig Tango, and my green Eotech. The eotech sits on my Ruger pc9. The Sig will set on the AR10. You will like the Sig

Last edited:

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I love my Sig Tango, and my green Eotech. The eotech sits on my Ruger pc9. The Sig will set on the AR10. You will like the Sig
    Finally someone who has the green Eotech . What do you think of it compared to the red? Brightness clarity etc in bright sun and dusk or low light situations?

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    OP... if you go with a LPVO, I recommend having a set of offset backup irons. I've been running offset XS SIGHTS on a few recent builds with LPVOs & really like them. They don't stick out too far & you don't have to spend time to flip them up. And not like other guns I've seen where the optic is over the rear MBUS & they aren't running a QD scope mount so now you need tools to take the scope off.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    My .02 on a house gun.

Get a .300blkout pistol (or SBR if you want another stamp) with 8-10" barrel run it with subs & a can. I'd have it set up with a red or green dot with shake awake feature. The Holosun isnt a combat sight but guys are running them in 3 gun & they are $200-$300. It would be fine for a house gun & most typical daily use.
    I see you have a can already. Is it a .30 cal can?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    EZ-E just mentioned another finer point about an optic, and that is get a quick detach mount and have back up sights. Shit fails when lease expected. Being in the middle of nowhere in Texas where you can buy a battery is not always an option

I’ll admit not all of my guns do but it is something I am working on.

Another plus for the ACOG is no battery. Aimpoints have stupid battery life where I do not turn mine off. The draw back to battery power is the battery. Getting in the habit of changing it out to prevent leaking. Having a back up battery in case you needed it,

Top Bottom