• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I'm not in the best of shape, physically, as some of you know, or have read. And with it starting to get as hot as Hades here in the central Texas region, it's starting to get ny on to impossible for me to cut and take care of almost 2 acres of grass and weeds with a push mower so, I'm looking into riding mowers and lawn tractors. Here's my dilemma and or problem(s), I'm paralyzed on the left side of my body and with limited mobility due to that. I am ambulatory, meaning I can walk but, only with the use of an ankle brace, Always, and a cane, sometimes but, mostly. I bring that up specifically, due to the fact that the clutch on most, if not all, lawn tractors and riding mowers is on the left side. And most of the controls are not really designed for a one handed operator either. Knowing there are a lot of country folk out here, and a lot of folks with more and or varied experience(s) with such things, I thought I'd ask for your input and or ideas. I'm trying to keep the cost down and fabrication or modification to a minimum, if possible.

Mods., if I posted in the wrong section, please let me know and I'll move to the appropriate place.

Thanks in advance.

Edit for additional info. - The brace on my left leg means I don't have any up or down movement of my left ankle. And not much muscle control of up and down/ leg bending control of left leg.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    A zero turn mower may serve you best.
    Might need to modify the movement controls to a single stick.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had a John Deere riding mower that I believe would work for your situation. Only pedal on the left was the brake w/ a latch for the parking brake. Hydrostatic type transmission with a rocking pedal for forward and reverse. No gears. Let off the pedal and it stopped automatically. That won't hold it stopped on a hill or something though.

Just an idea.

BTW it was a 23 hp that my wife picked out at Home Depot. The version sold from John Deere directly is a better built model though.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Dawico

I need to go by home depot sometime next week, I'll look to see if they have anything like that while I'm there. Thanx.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    The one I spoke to you about is much like this one, different brand though.

enu7esuv.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I'm trying to keep it around a grand to 15-1600ish. I know modifications might be pricey, depending.

Duckman62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    My neighbor has a Snapper Pro ZTR with a single (right hand) joy stick control. No foot controls except for adjusting the cutting height. He cuts about 2 acres with it around many plants and trees. Makes short work of it with that machine. New I,m sure is out of your budget but maybe can find a used one. The local dealer always has a small selection of trade-ins and abandoned machines. Might be something to check out. Google "Snapper Pro ZTR" for an image. Good luck.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Remember if you buy from The Home Depot or Lowes, they both offer a 10% veterans discount. On a lawn tractor that is a nice sum of money. Must have proof though, my 'VETERAN' notation on my TDL works for me with them.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Duckman - I'll call a dealer about those

Acera - Thanks for the reminder. VA card's in my wallet, that should work.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Cub Cadet makes a good line of riding mowers.

At $2900, it would take 38 cuts by a lawn service at $75 per cut to recoup your money. Say you cut every two weeks (May - October), the lawn service could cut your grass for 3.2 years (if they did not raise the price).

Plus, you would not have to pay for gasoline, oil, air filters, drive belts, batteries, and tires.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    A couple years ago my tried and true Craftsman rider finally bit the dust.

I shopped for a Cub, but found a 54" cut Troy at Lowes sitting off by itself.
    It was a warranty return and was marked down by 1/3.

I found the manager and offered him $800 out the door, he said $900 (still 1/2 price) and I said OK with their 0% financing.
    Boom ... confetti!

​The point is at this time of year, don;t be afraid to make offers.

Top Bottom