Capitol Armory ad

N00b to TrailCams: TrailCam battery life?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Since I haven't owned property before, and am new to TrailCams...
    This one looks like it's a pretty good deal, since I will be getting at least a few, I am going to go pseudo-inexpensive:
    GardePro A3 Trail Camera 24MP 1080P, H.264 HD Video, Clear 100ft No Glow Infrared Night Vision, 0.1s Trigger Speed, 82ft Motion Detection, Waterproof Cam for Wildlife Deer Game Trail

It looks like this takes 128GB SD cards and 8xAA batteries.

1) Is 8xAA batteries the norm?
    Originally I was looking for some that take D batts, however since I will probably be using rechargeable LSD AA's, since they take 8 of these bad boys... and am so damned sick of batteries leaking and killing remotes and such.

2) Did some of the old-school TrailCams use D batteries for battery life longevity?

Looking for some TrailCams in the $60-$100 range, however I am not sure how long the batteries will last in these.

3) Depending on (false?) motion-triggers, how long do your batteries usually last in these with Alkaline, vs. NiMH LSD, vs. Disposable Lithium, etc?

These will also be used to monitor for trespassers/squatters.

I appreciate any input here to increase this newbies knowledge-base... :D
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Since I haven't owned property before, and am new to TrailCams...
    This one looks like it's a pretty good deal, since I will be getting at least a few, I am going to go pseudo-inexpensive:
    GardePro A3 Trail Camera 24MP 1080P, H.264 HD Video, Clear 100ft No Glow Infrared Night Vision, 0.1s Trigger Speed, 82ft Motion Detection, Waterproof Cam for Wildlife Deer Game Trail

It looks like this takes 128GB SD cards and 8xAA batteries.

1) Is 8xAA batteries the norm?
    Originally I was looking for some that take D batts, however since I will probably be using rechargeable LSD AA's, since they take 8 of these bad boys... and am so damned sick of batteries leaking and killing remotes and such.

2) Did some of the old-school TrailCams use D batteries for battery life longevity?

Looking for some TrailCams in the $60-$100 range, however I am not sure how long the batteries will last in these.

3) Depending on (false?) motion-triggers, how long do your batteries usually last in these with Alkaline, vs. NiMH LSD, vs. Disposable Lithium, etc?

These will also be used to monitor for trespassers/squatters.

I appreciate any input here to increase this newbies knowledge-base... :D
    8 batteries is the norm. All these Amazon cams are just usually the same Wong chong brand just marketed for different businesses. I have the cams you listed. Two years in Texas weather all seasons and no failure other than straps.

In general most that get triggered out to 80 plus feet do a good job.

The trick to good battery life is helping the camera not take unnecessary pics. I like to set my cams to high sensitivity but in doing so and having cams now that will get set off at respectable ranges, you have to be aware the wind, trees, tall grass, anything else flopping around will leave you with pics taken at every minute or less. So maintaining a clean property reduces unwanted pics.

Most straps that come with cams only last a year under Texas sun. About a year and just touch them and they crumble.

If the camera is taking a good amount of pictures everyday, you will be replacing batteries twice a month.

Replace your batteries early too. No need to think they have some life left then something happens and you find out it died.

Its only when these things take lots of pictures at once everyday do they turn into energy hogs.

Lastly…if you feel like people will trespass, don’t leave your cams in obvious spots. One trick I do is I’ll pick a tree, more specifically if you have mountain cedar. These trees are awesome for concealment. Cut a branch or two not much and place the came around the tree. If you paint or get a cam body that’s brown it would most likely never be detectable to most trespassers.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Oh yeah on these cams if the batteries die they often reset date and time. Not always but most of the time.

Reformatting your memory card is recommended about…I’d say each time you change batteries just to be safe.

Even with good brands, sometimes a card will randomly decide to give you the middle finger and need reformatting. So I do it probably twice a month.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    The last D cell camara I had expired 6 years ago, none on are the market now.
    Everything Sam said is dead solid on. Please let me add, there are some newer camaras that only need 4 AA cells, they use the mini sim cards, and are physically 1/2 the size of the current 8 cell models.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Perfection is a cell based camera that uses rechargeable lithium batteries, built in solar charger and lasts more than 1 year. Spypoint not quite there.
    Stealthcam with 8 aa cells was pretty good. Browning with the same went dead in no time.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    While trail cams are great little gadgets nothing beats a comfortable hide that you can spend 8 hours in person. If I bought acreage it would be some of the first things I’d do pre & post clearing.

Knowing where the game is important, knowing who comes on your place more important. Identifying who helps themself to your place is some very crucial information.

If your not living on the place, but have anything of value on it insure it to the max. And just know if your things are stolen your covered.

There are some dirty tricks to protect your property, but I ain’t discussing them. Hopefully your not in an area with methbillies looking to steal you blind.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    It’s important to be covert as possible while not living at a property.

Because you aren’t there intruders see no threat. Plus if they make a trail cam out that has no antenna, they will make an effort to steal it.

I got to thinking more about it and after running trail cams and blink cameras I think, if you can afford it right now, the answer is put a small shack out there with power and a router then just set up blink cams.

If I had to do it over again I’d go that rout. The monthly service for wireless game cams is more money than blink cams by a lot. The blink cams have more support, way longer battery life, and a have survived the weather just fine out here. Motion detection is just fine.

Check your cell reception with someone that has t mobile. If they get good reception you can sign up for a cheat router and service then when you buy blink cams the service is ten bucks a month for unlimited cams. I think t mobile would be 40 or 50 bucks a month. Most game cam services will be 70 plus a month.

Each game cam is a bit cheaper as a blink cam can be right at 99 bucks but overall you can set up more cams for a cheap operational cost.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    If you use lithium batteries they will last about 4-6 months, depending on the number of pictures taken.

If you go with cell cams the CUDDE LINK cameras can daisy chain off each other & only 1 camera needs service.

festering

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    sw houston
    I haves a solar charger on one of cellular stealthcams has been running more than a year so far. I have two other with lithium, about 4 months. When I have food in my feeders I get about fifty pictures a day.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    If you use lithium batteries they will last about 4-6 months, depending on the number of pictures taken.

If you go with cell cams the CUDDE LINK cameras can daisy chain off each other & only 1 camera needs service.
    I didn't know you could daisy chain em. That's good to know. I see ones in the store for 70-80 dollars a month service. I can't remember. I doubled checked with the wife on what the t-mobile router service is and it's 50. Plus a 10 dollar monthly with blink for unlimited cams. Service is cheaper but the blink cams are about 20 bucks more in a store.
    What's the interface and features like with the trail cam app?

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Now one negative thing with using blink cams vs trail cams is the lens on blink cams use a wide angle. So distance and detail is not good. I'd say a person needs to be under 50 yards for good no questions asked detail. That's a guess...I don't get much traffic out here.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Oh yeah on these cams if the batteries die they often reset date and time. Not always but most of the time.

Reformatting your memory card is recommended about…I’d say each time you change batteries just to be safe.

Even with good brands, sometimes a card will randomly decide to give you the middle finger and need reformatting. So I do it probably twice a month.
    1) Are you using Sandisk, Samsung, or PNY cards, or another brand?
    I don't think I ever had issues with one of these reliable brands (there was one more, I can't remember), on my Android devices,
    BUT all others I have had issues with them losing data/FAT Tables/Partitions, Etc, over time they become corrupt.

2) What FS and cluster size are they formatted at, if you know (FAT32, EXFAT? Cluster/Block size of 16K, 32K, something else?) , or just an on-device reformat, not on a computer?

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    1) Are you using Sandisk, Samsung, or PNY cards, or another brand?

2) What FS and cluster size are they formatted at, if you know (FAT32, EXFAT? Cluster/Block size of 16K, 32K, something else?) , or just an on-device reformat, not on a computer?
    I checked. All cams are using a sandisk. I only buy top quality cards with good transfer rates for my Nikon in the event I record in 4k. I figured a game cam doesn't need a top tier card for pictures.

Don't know about your second question. I was using a standalone card viewer and just reformatted as needed.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I still have several Moultrie Cameras but haven't used in several years. I always used a strong Ty-Rap around a tree rather than the strap they came with. They use 8 of the AA batteries and can go thru them a little fast (what does that mean ?). There were some settings I changed to slow the usage down per the manual. I only used them around my current residential property and you'd be surprised at what happens when the sun goes down. We have nothing but a distant railroad track and field behind us. Whatever passed by one night was a helluva lot bigger than a coyote but was about 15 feet from the camera and in b&w so no details. Days were in color though. I did give one to a friend who set it up inside his garage to see what was breaking into his sunflower seed sacks. Duh, caught the rat red-handed. I may get back into the camera stuff myself after reading these posts but with newer models

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I looked for cameras that used 18650 Li-ion batteries, but couldn't afford them...

I ended up buying several cheap csms that use 8 AA. I hate alkalines and NiMH aren't much better... Instead, I use 4x 3.2v 14500 LiFePO4 batteries and 4x dummies. The LiFePO4 batteries are low energy density, and using only four, life between charges is lower than alkaline life.

I only capture night-time, and though I run high quality video, I run only medium sensitivity. Batteries last on a charge usually 2 - 4 weeks. I walk by the cameras every day anyway, so I check them almost daily, and carry a spare set of batteries with me.

My primary concerns are what the coyotes and pigs are doing, but I catch a couple kinds of cats, fox, porcupines, ringtails, coons, rabbits, armadillos, possums, and deer.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    I looked for cameras that used 18650 Li-ion batteries, but couldn't afford them...

I ended up buying several cheap csms that use 8 AA. I hate alkalines and NiMH aren't much better... Instead, I use 4x 3.2v 14500 LiFePO4 batteries and 4x dummies. The LiFePO4 batteries are low energy density, and using only four, life between charges is lower than alkaline life.

I only capture night-time, and though I run high quality video, I run only medium sensitivity. Batteries last on a charge usually 2 - 4 weeks. I walk by the cameras every day anyway, so I check them almost daily, and carry a spare set of batteries with me.

My primary concerns are what the coyotes and pigs are doing, but I catch a couple kinds of cats, fox, porcupines, ringtails, coons, rabbits, armadillos, possums, and deer.
    Using 3.2v LiFePO4 18650's (if they make them?) is a hellofan Idea. I hadn't thought of that, even though I soldered/modded 3xAAA HF LED lights to take USB 5v in from a power-bank... I didn't know they made 3.2 voltage batts, maybe they make 18650's, or I could use a LiPO battery packs, and use more dummies.

I appreciate the info.

Hhmmm, Hampster-wheels are now a'churning.... 4.2v Lithium max, new 8xAA alkalines=12.8v max if in series, and now you got me researching 12v LiFePO4 car-sized batteries for other reasons, like when we are out there over night.

Initially thinking about camping there, roughing it, but with more battery power, we could probably go "Glamping" like a "Hipster"... :p

Last edited:

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Perfection is a cell based camera that uses rechargeable lithium batteries, built in solar charger and lasts more than 1 year. Spypoint not quite there.
    Stealthcam with 8 aa cells was pretty good. Browning with the same went dead in no time.
    Are these more expensive? If so are they worth it in your opinion?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Are these more expensive? If so are they worth it in your opinion?
    Academy has the Spypoint Link Micro-s solar on sale for $130. I bought 2 last year, one bombed after a year, one still works. You get 100 free pictures a month or pay $15 for a plan. Pictures are readable but not great. You need one plan for each camera. Uses a micro sd card and pictures on card are better quality than cellular pictures. All useable. You don't get video, only pictures. I don't have to drive 12 miles to check my camera either.
    Here is a sample...
    deer.jpg

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Speaking of game cameras, my son lives on 100 acres in Kaufman County. His father-in-law has Longhorns, chickens, a pig and all the usual stuff you'd have there. For some reason his father-in-law placed a game camera about 10 feet high on a utility pole pointed at an area of concern a few years ago. I forget the details but must have had issues at night. In a day or so my son sent me a pic of something captured on the SD card, and it had scared the sheet out of them and certainly out of me. A b&w pic showed a group of people dressed in all white, one stooping to go under a strand of barbed wire, all moving right to left. Wearing white conical hats and black belts, you could count the belt loops. I just don't remember if they were carrying weapons but can ask my son to recall details of all. I copied and shared the pic several places and kept copy for myself and the SD, my copy and people I shared with all now have degraded pic soon after. They all agreed this was definitely a pic of the group, but hell, in what time zone or dimension.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom