• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    Anyone into hunting hogs with thermal? Just got a thermal, and was thinking it may be fun and beneficial to have a hunt buddy. Just got my knee replaced and the wife is reluctant to let me run around in the woods at night.
    I would be interested in learning how others approach hurting at night. My property is densely wooded with trails and some open areas. I also have access to neighbors fields. is this type of hunting allowed on the properties managed by tp&w? Any input is appreciated.
    Texas SOT

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    If you were closer I'd be a regular...

Thermal does a good job seeing through light vegetation, but its a little difficult to scale the object you are looking at i.e a cow a long ways off in really tall grass doesn't look that different than a hog fairly close.

I have family outside Paris, Texas. I could probably be convinced into bringing my kit and hunting a little next time I'm up vosoting them. ;)

Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    If you were closer I'd be a regular...

Thermal does a good job seeing through light vegetation, but its a little difficult to scale the object you are looking at i.e a cow a long ways off in really tall grass doesn't look that different than a hog fairly close.

I have family outside Paris, Texas. I could probably be convinced into bringing my kit and hunting a little next time I'm up vosoting them. ;)

Good luck and enjoy!

I’m fortunate to not run cows on my place, which makes it easie.

Hood Weasel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Dallas, Texas
    Anyone into hunting hogs with thermal? Just got a thermal, and was thinking it may be fun and beneficial to have a hunt buddy. Just got my knee replaced and the wife is reluctant to let me run around in the woods at night.
    I would be interested in learning how others approach hurting at night. My property is densely wooded with trails and some open areas. I also have access to neighbors fields. is this type of hunting allowed on the properties managed by tp&w? Any input is appreciated.
    Dingo,

I hunt with NVG at night and have used thermal as well. Depending on how well you know the area we’ve driven around in trucks before looking for hogs and also have waited in blinds to shoot them. I’m in DFW as well.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Dingo,

I hunt with NVG at night and have used thermal as well. Depending on how well you know the area we’ve driven around in trucks before looking for hogs and also have waited in blinds to shoot them. I’m in DFW as well.

Welcome to the Forum!

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    Dingo,

Welcome.
    im having trouble zeroing my thermal. Gonna try again with quality ammo in case my new ar didn’t like what I used. Have an opportunity to clear some hogs that are rooting up some pastures, and I’m getting an itchy finger.

Hood Weasel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Dallas, Texas
    Welcome.
    im having trouble zeroing my thermal. Gonna try again with quality ammo in case my new ar didn’t like what I used. Have an opportunity to clear some hogs that are rooting up some pastures, and I’m getting an itchy finger.

Dingo, What method are you using to zero your device?

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    The scope has a zero functio, problem is I can use the digital zoom to make an accurate shot, but when I enter the zero function it drops out of digital zoom to the base optical, at 100 yards I have to guess where the shot is, as I can’t see it with the thermal on base magnification

Hood Weasel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Dallas, Texas
    The scope has a zero functio, problem is I can use the digital zoom to make an accurate shot, but when I enter the zero function it drops out of digital zoom to the base optical, at 100 yards I have to guess where the shot is, as I can’t see it with the thermal on base magnification

I suggest using something with a good thermal signature like a hand warmer taped to a target or a bottle full of hot water. If you rest the rifle well and fire at that even at base level mag you’ll know when you’ve hit it. As far as adjusting the zero you’ll have to shoot, go look at your target come back and do some math to adjust it.

Hood Weasel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Dallas, Texas
    I suggest using something with a good thermal signature like a hand warmer taped to a target or a bottle full of hot water. If you rest the rifle well and fire at that even at base level mag you’ll know when you’ve hit it. As far as adjusting the zero you’ll have to shoot, go look at your target come back and do some math to adjust it.

I forgot to add, it helps if you cut a square out of the target and paste the hand warmer on the back so it “Shows” through the hole you’ve cut on the thermal imager.

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I forgot to add, it helps if you cut a square out of the target and paste the hand warmer on the back so it “Shows” through the hole you’ve cut on the thermal imager.
    I could try placing a hand warmer over the shot group. But when in zero mode , I’m not in thermal, the scope has an etched reticle, but will give it a shot, pun intended! :)

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    I put large x's on my targets with metal tape. It works for visual, thermal, and nv. I also put the tape on my feeders for quick location at long range. You can mark your hits the same way. Should be able to dial it in.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Welcome.
    Shoot at steel, it will leave a hot spot, shoot with that as your hold, then adjust. 1 shot is enough to make your first adjustments by. I'm not worried about shooting a 3 or 5 rnd group then centering it. Shoot, shoot adjust, shoot confirm done

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I have a rattler with the freeze function. Easiest (use a good led sled or stable rest) shot at the handwarmer behind the one inch square. At base mag i can see it fine. But shots IN the handwarmer - nope. I sit on ATV a ways from the feeders. I'm in plano, hunt near Palestine. What brand did you get?

Last edited:

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I have a rattler with the freeze function. Easiest (use a good led sled or stable rest) shot at the handwarmer behind the one inch square. At base mag i can see it fine. But shots IN the handwarmer - nope. I sit on ATV a ways from the feeders. I'm in plano, hunt near Palestine. What brand did you get?
    I got the pulsar talion XQ35. I’m use the hand warmer to cover the shot group made. Just need to get off my butt and get out there

Top Bottom