• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    That was freaking brilliant. Screw the dick pic program. I'm going to send a picture of my dick to someone right now.
    I still can't see the video. It keeps saying there's something wrong with the connection.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    That was freaking brilliant. Screw the dick pic program. I'm going to send a picture of my dick to someone right now.

It's just scary how little folks care about domestic government spying until they know it's THEM being spied on and includes every little intimate thing they do or send. Then, finally, it's not okay. "You mean they're spying on me and not just someone else?"

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    It's just scary how little folks care about domestic government spying until they know it's THEM being spied on and includes every little intimate thing they do or send. Then, finally, it's not okay. "You mean they're spying on me and not just someone else?"
    Well in this case it's actually a big time corporation that's doing the spying. But same difference.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well in this case it's actually a big time corporation that's doing the spying. But same difference.

Watch the video. They specifically call out Google and how something as simple as "backing up data to a foreign data center", which happens automatically, triggers domestic spying programs that copies your data to NSA servers.

It really blurs the line on who's doing the spying (or facilitating it).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have wondered if I don't need a metal box to keep mine in. Just take it out for use.
    They make those.

Hide From GPS With This Signal-Blocking Phone Case | Popular Science

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-tracking-Anti-spying-Signal-Blocker-Faraday/dp/B00FN88K06

Or you can make your own.

KILLYOURPHONE.COM

The biggest problem is that you need to turn the phone off before it goes in the bag. If you don't, it constantly searches for signal and eats up the battery charge in record time.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...something as simple as "backing up data to a foreign data center", which happens automatically, triggers domestic spying programs ...
    I'm well aware. Thus, everything I copy to a foreign data center is encrypted on my machine before it goes out over the wire. That's such a basic security protocol, I'm surprised that it's not baked into every application in existence. Then again, 2 seconds of inconvenience to the consumer will kill an application in the marketplace.

Someday, people will take data security seriously. By then, it'll be too late. A very good argument can be made that we reached that point quite some time ago and that the general population still hasn't awoken to that fact. Pretty sad, if you ask me.

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'm well aware. Thus, everything I copy to a foreign data center is encrypted on my machine before it goes out over the wire. That's such a basic security protocol, I'm surprised that it's not baked into every application in existence. Then again, 2 seconds of inconvenience to the consumer will kill an application in the marketplace.

Someday, people will take data security seriously. By then, it'll be too late. A very good argument can be made that we reached that point quite some time ago and that the general population still hasn't awoken to that fact. Pretty sad, if you ask me.
    Honestly I'm not computer literate enough to encrypt everything that doesn't already have the option, and I've always considered my behavior around electronics responsible until I realized they literally listen to my conversations.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It really blurs the line on who's doing the spying (or facilitating it).
    Unless those corporations want an audit or to have their licenses not be renewed, they will facilitate it. They are legally protected from being sued for privacy breaches if those breaches are from colluding with the government.

Someday, people will take data security seriously. By then, it'll be too late.
    ...or they'll make encryption of "unapproved" traffic illegal. Remember how the government freaked out when a couple dozen people started sending PGP emails? :laughing:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When encrypted traffic goes between you and the web (and it's mostly encrypted, these days), there's a certificate (or several) that ensures you're actually connected to the entity you think you're connected to. Typically, these certs are obtained through a Certificate Authority (CA) who is trusted by your browser. You've probably seen some logo for Verisign when you've made on online purchase, for example. Verisign is a CA.

However, you don't have to use some universally trusted, centralized CA. You can make and sign your own certificate. Then when someone visits your web site, their web browser will present them with a "Danger, Will Robinson!" warning that the web site they're accessing requires they accept a certificate from some unknown party. That's not a problem within a big organization or between people that already know each other in real life. So doing it yourself is often useful.

I've set up intranet sites in a large organization. I've also done limited-access sites intended to be accessible over the internet for just an hour or two. Doing it yourself is pretty normal in cases like those.

Read the first section of this page for a longer explanation: How to create a self-signed Certificate

Or, if you'd like a slightly better but longer explanation that goes a bit farther afield, using less technical language, try: SSL: Who Do You Trust? | The Data Center Overlords

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    And guys that aren't familiar, just to add...

Companies do stuff like this legitimately.

Because after the data is accessed the malware will encrypt the data when sending it back to their collection servers or mother ship. If you aren't looking at encrypted data leaving your network then you will have unauthorized data exfiltration (aka your shit will be ganked without you knowing).

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    And if you're at a decent sized company you will be regularly compromised. It's just a matter of how big and what they got to. That's why there's so much focus on shortening response times.

Top Bottom