• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Bought a chuck roast because they were on sale & whole doesn't like an old fashion pot roast? It's been browned off & simmering on low for about 45 minutes so I checked it. The lid on this pot is so heavy & well fitting it damn near like a pressure cooker. I got a good feeling about this roast. Instead of spuds I bought a rutabaga & lots of carrots. I can hardly wait, Renfield has taken note of it yet I'm sure when I sit down to a plate he won't be far away.
    ARJ Defense ad

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Bought a chuck roast because they were on sale & whole doesn't like an old fashion pot roast? It's been browned off & simmering on low for about 45 minutes so I checked it. The lid on this pot is so heavy & well fitting it damn near like a pressure cooker. I got a good feeling about this roast. Instead of spuds I bought a rutabaga & lots of carrots. I can hardly wait, Renfield has taken note of it yet I'm sure when I sit down to a plate he won't be far away.
    Any pics of the cast iron?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yum!
    Rutabagas & lots of carrots, makes my mouth water.
    Are you from eastern Europe decent?
    I'm not but where I grew up was neighborhoods with ethnic bars serving up hot lunches. One of the best Andy & Sophie's was a Polish owned place. One day while eating lunch the TV had Pope John Paul's placement. Sophie stated that was who baptized her as a kid in Poland. Back then it was said that Chicago had more Pollock's the Warsaw Poland.

I had an aunt that was Slovanian, and they were big numbers of then in the area. Every neighborhood close to the steel mill & other industries were inclusive to different ethnic groups. Greeks were very prevalent & pretty much rain most every restaurant in town.

I grew up in one of the new after WWII neighborhoods that were more blended the the old neighborhoods. I really do miss the great foods that those bars cranked out . Both the VFW & American legions served hot lunches. Great homecoming at very reasonable prices & working man sized portions.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    I'm not but where I grew up was neighborhoods with ethnic bars serving up hot lunches. One of the best Andy & Sophie's was a Polish owned place. One day while eating lunch the TV had Pope John Paul's placement. Sophie stated that was who baptized her as a kid in Poland. Back then it was said that Chicago had more Pollock's the Warsaw Poland.

I had an aunt that was Slovanian, and they were big numbers of then in the area. Every neighborhood close to the steel mill & other industries were inclusive to different ethnic groups. Greeks were very prevalent & pretty much rain most every restaurant in town.

I grew up in one of the new after WWII neighborhoods that were more blended the the old neighborhoods. I really do miss the great foods that those bars cranked out . Both the VFW & American legions served hot lunches. Great homecoming at very reasonable prices & working man sized portions.

Are you from "the region"?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I just loaded the carrots & rutabagas.
    IMG_1267.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Might I recommend, as future choice of veggies: white turnips and parsnips (I am guessing related to but much more flavorful than carrots). I use chuck roasts to cut up for stew meat, the fattier the better. For pot roasts, I have used them but also use bottom round roasts. All delicious.

Enjoy your feast, hope Renfield does too. Love that name - Renfield was one of the best characters, if not the best or certainly most intense character, in Dracula of 1931 (if it says video unavailable, click on watch on YouTube).:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Might I recommend, as future choice of veggies: white turnips and parsnips (I am guessing related to but much more flavorful than carrots). I use chuck roasts to cut up for stew meat, the fattier the better. For pot roasts, I have used them but also use bottom round roasts. All delicious.

Enjoy your feast, hope Renfield does too. Love that name - Renfield was one of the best characters, if not the best or certainly most intense character, in Dracula of 1931 (if it says video unavailable, click on watch on YouTube).:

I eat turnips & parsnips. Ever had Branston Pickles? Lets not forget I cut meat for 36 years. My mom was an ok cook. If it wasn't a chuck as pot roast it was a bottom round in the roasting pan in the oven. Not sure why but her bottom round were alway overly cooked. Thankfully dad made a good gravy. Often times left over bottom round was run through a old social hand grinder with dill pickles & mayonnaise added. I actually liked it over ham salad. If you like a bottom round getting the true Bottom Sirloin Butt Roast is the way to go. I still have an aversion to bottom round roast

The dog was named Remmie at the rescue were we got him. One day the wife commented on watching him catching flies hence she called him Renfield. my wife was a huge Dracula fan with the one with Frank Langella being her favorite, the Gary Oldham with Bela Lugosi in third.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I love my cast iron. It is my "go to" both in the Ark and out over a fire. Have done roasts, but never baked. All set to try first opportunity to brave the heat to try. Watched several of Kent Rollins videos.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Amongst the best things about hunt camp is the breakfast and dinner.

Anticipating fall camp.... scrubbed an old reliable skillet with salt heat and such...seasoned as usual.

A good test for an iron skillet is an omelette...so figured I would throw one together.

What do ya know....old cast iron still works... just like it always for at least a few centuries.

Looking forward to getting the hell out of dodge.
    7F40A70C-0D22-4E91-AAD9-510B97EB79DC.jpeg
    374AE99E-AB5D-4659-BCC9-7EF1806F7987.jpeg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom