Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Wait! They offered something besides oldie stations?
    Oldies programming is fascinating. When I was a kid, oldies stations played big band music from the 30s and 40s as well as 50s hits. By the time 1980 rolled around, the big band stuff was gone and the 50s had mostly faded away. So "oldies" do fade away and get dropped from airplay.

Now, things are different. The 60s, 70s, and 80s music is just as old now as the big band stuff was when I was a child. But unlike music that was that old back then, the music of my youth isn't exclusively called "oldies." It's "classic." It's still in heavy rotation on many stations. Kids these days are mining it for samples, re-arranging it for new hits, and generally treating it with respect.

I rarely buy the "things were better in the old days" line that old folks have used for the last 10,000 years. But when it comes to music, the stuff that came out in my youth is showing more staying power than anything else I know of. Yes, there are still "oldies;" big band music and classical music still have their devotees. But the music from the 60s and 70s still has more life than any generation before or since.

So, lemme be the designated old guy for today: "The music from my youth was better. Kids these days don't know what they missed."

I could say something similar about the girls and the cars but there's no need to drift that far afield in this thread, right? :)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

My favorite lately.
    Just hearing it in my head for the last year or two.
    It carries me through the news and social media.......stuff.

Top Bottom