• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I am considering mounting a Bushnell Banner 4X12-40 scope that came with my pre-owned Savage 110, 30-06, Pre-Accutrigger rifle. Probably a package deal. I took it off the Savage and had a Leupold mounted in it's place. While looking for rings and mounts I found some Wideview See Through mount rings for the 94AE that allow you to use iron sights also. That means the scope is mounted higher. Does that cause a problem sighting through the scope and would it make the rig too high to fit a average rifle case? Have any of you ever used a scope mounted like that?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There are tons of lever guns wearing those see-thru rings, but after experimenting for myself, I just couldn't get along with them. I place a lot of importance on a solid, repeatable cheek weld, and I couldn't get that with those rings.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    There are tons of lever guns wearing those see-thru rings, but after experimenting for myself, I just couldn't get along with them. I place a lot of importance on a solid, repeatable cheek weld, and I couldn't get that with those rings.
    Agreed. I had those mounts on my 94 ae and it pretty much required my chin to be the only meat to stock contact, that was with a redfield 2.5 power, and to answer the question about fitting in a normal case, it was a tight squeeze in my scoped rifle soft case.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Thank's guys. That's kinda what I was thinking. It would be sorta un-natural to sight through a scope mounted that high. I'll use a regular mount or just use iron sights.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    If you have decent depth perception, a williams 5D peep sight is hard to beat with a stick. I've got 3 levers and all of them wear the williams peep. Once you get them set, lock them down and enjoy. For interesting results, shoot with standard buck-horn sights, save the target, swap to peep sight then re-shoot and compare targets.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    If you have decent depth perception, a williams 5D peep sight is hard to beat with a stick. I've got 3 levers and all of them wear the williams peep. Once you get them set, lock them down and enjoy. For interesting results, shoot with standard buck-horn sights, save the target, swap to peep sight then re-shoot and compare targets.

I googled up the Williams Peep Sight since I am unfamialar with them. ( Williams 5D Receiver Sights ) I can see how they would have their uses on a pre-angle eject model 94 but the rig I'm setting up on the Model 94AE is for hog and deer at about 100 to 125 yards from the blind to the feeders. For that I would need some magnification.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I took my Win. Model 94 to the range last week. I haven't mounted a scope on it yet and I wanted to see how I did with iron sights. I'll need a scope allright! My patterns were about the size of a saucer at 25 yards. The little blade front sight is hard to see. I've got the scope and rings, now I just need the base mounts.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I have Leupold bases and rings on my 94AE 44mag,they will work just fine.

001-13.gif

TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    I do not wish to make anyone mad but I have a question. Why would you put a scope on a lever action? I have never found one that was accurate enough over
    250 yards. I use the Williams peep site on my Henry 44Mag/44Spl. and the peep sites help keep the weight down.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I do not wish to make anyone mad but I have a question. Why would you put a scope on a lever action? I have never found one that was accurate enough over
    250 yards. I use the Williams peep site on my Henry 44Mag/44Spl. and the peep sites help keep the weight down.

You are not making me mad at all, but why not put a scope on a lever action. I know a lot of people don't since it was primarily designed as a brush gun. My Savage 110 with a scope shoots patterns about the size of a quarter, my Model 94 without a scope shoots patterns about 4 1/2 inches. Both at 25 yards. I like my holes a little closer and I can barely see the little blade of a front sight in low light.
    Many people put scopes on pistols so why not a lever action with a 20" barrel. I have never used a Williams peep sight and I have a extra scope so why not use it. As previously mentioned in this thread I did look up the Williams Peep sight but I'm not sure it would work for me, I need a little magnification.

TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    Put very simply, for me, old eyes!......

Point made, I have been blessed with good eyesight, I wear glasses but can see way out there. I use a scope on my 350 mag. for elk hunting but shoot open sights and peep sights on everything else. I have been hunting wild hogs but only hunt in daylight, some of my friends use scoped rifles for hunting them at night.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Since it's almost impossible for me to focus on a long gun front sight and rear sight at the same time..............I guess I'm just mostly "point shooting" when I have to use iron sights. Oh well......:banghead:

Scary!

Top Bottom