• ...and so much more!
  • Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    uPI89Ln.gif

With an i3 CPU, 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage!?

I could buy TWO of the latest XBox One X for that!
    Hurley's Gold

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Ah. Then that's doubly awful. 128gb is a joke. Can build a much nicer box with a *nx distro for the same money.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    My cousin and I have the Mac/PC argument every once in a while. Apple charges exorbitant prices over PC for the same hardware specs. It comes down to the OS. They are charging for it mostly. Just like Chevy and Ford etc. People will have a bias. I have found most Mac folks dont care to tinker or learn how to use a computer so they chose an easy answer. I'm not trying to slam them for their choices, it's how I see it. I could take the same 800 bucks and build a better speced machine with a version of Linux that mirrors iOS. Remember iOS is just a linux distro with enough changes that Apple can copyright it.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Yeah this wasn't another generic Apple vs PC rant but a specific whine about how they first don't update that one model in 4 years, and even the update 4 years ago was a joke, and when they finally do, the price for the base model nigh enough doubles. For a freaking i3 based machine! For decent specs that aren't behind the times by five years, you can pay up to $4,200!

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I recall reading that the several-years-old Mac Mini is still superior to the current models, looks like nothing's changed. Charging $800 for the new crummy non-upgradeable one is ridiculous!
    I keep wanting to go to Apples because I hate the way M$ operates, and have better things to do than configure Linux (which I've used over a dozen years), but the costs are insane.

Eli

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Well the CPU is is getting a little long in the tooth, but RAM and hard drive are still upgradeable on mine. And it still has an SD card reader.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Find a comparable mini PC, and the prices are right in line or worse than Apple. We've been equipping our desktops with HP Elite Slices, and they're almost $900 landed (i5, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB RAM, 256GB SATA SSD).

Mac Mini is $799 with an honestly comparable i3, 8GB ram, and a 128GB PCIe SSD.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Gave up on MS laptop and desktop computers years ago. Got tired of tinkering with them. Dollar for dollar, I like the value of Mac products. And a lot less stressful and their hardware tends to last. Up front cost is higher but works out about the same over the life span of the hardware. Plus OS updates are usually free. And I like their OS better.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    And a lot less stressful and their hardware tends to last.
    This is very true. PC's tend to get replaced every 3 or 4 years on average. Macs tend to get replaced every 5 or 6. Our graphics department has one 2010 and one 2011 iMac still in daily production (along with newer ones), running the latest OSX. They've been upgraded with SSDs but are otherwise as-delivered. Only repair I've needed is one woman (twice!) Conan the Barbarian'ed the power button. Literally pushed it through the housing, and broke the spot welds fusing it together. A gave my old 2010 iMac to one of my staff, it doesn't get used daily (she's primarily a .NET developer and has a new HP Elite Slice) but it also runs fine for when she does some work in Xcode.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Oh well, mine's a late 2011 model that takes like half an hour to start up these days (only necessary after power failures or software update-related reboots), and once it's up, it works OK as internet arguing device and image editor. Just thought an upgrade might be nice after all these years, LOL.

I particularly liked the trade-in offer on their web site:
    GET UP TO $1,000 back for your old computer when you buy a new one!!
    Congratulations, you are eligible for a refund of $35 if you trade in your old box!

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    My mid 2014 running Mojave is fast. Boots within a couple of minutes. Faster that any MS computer I've owned over the years. My only complaints is the SSD drive is too small. But I've got a micro SD card installed that doubles the memory.

Top Bottom