• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    So I'm planning to make some upgrades to my Mossberg Maverick 88 this week since I get paid on Tuesday and my original plan to buy TXDave's beautiful Norinko SKS fell through.

So far this is what I've got ready to be ordered from CTD:

ATI Talon Tactical w/ Scorpion Buttpad, Recoil Grip, and Triton Mount ($75 + S&H)
    B-Square Mossberg Saddle Mount -possibly- ($35 + S&S)
    Mossberg 500 12ga 18.5" Security Barrel

Still not sure on the Saddle Mount and reason I chose that particular stock is because 3 years ago I broke my neck so I have a bit of a hard time dealing with the recoil of anything with high recoil. I've owned multiple ATI products and I've got no problem buying this particular stock, if all else fails at least I'm only out $75+S&H so it's not too bad.

I've got a $350 budget and right now I'm looking at around $221 with shipping not counting the Saddle Mount ($265 with that) any other suggestions on what kind of upgrades I can make?

3-1027597 - ATI Talon Tactical Shotgun Stock for Mossberg with Scorpion Buttpad, Recoil Grip and Triton Mount Black A.1.10.1140 - ATI Stock
    6-0407011 - Mossberg 500 12 Gauge Security Barrel 18.5" Blued Bead Sight - Mossberg 18.5" barrel
    2-BSQ16500 - B-Square Mossberg 500 12 Gauge Shotgun Saddle Mount 1" Rings Black - B-Square Saddle Mount (questionable as it looks like weak plastic)
    Military Camp

Attachments

• IMG_20120523_165627.jpg
      IMG_20120523_165627.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 779

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I have the ATI stock, its awesome. Other than that, Id spend the money on upgrading to a better shotgun. I know the maverick is a good gun but I'd spend a little more on a better one before I started to upgrade it. Good thing is, if you get a mossberg 500, you can use all of the parts, except the fore grip. I could be wrong but as far as I know, you're gonna have a tuff time finding a good fore grip for this. The 500 590 are different and I only know of one after market fore grip for these weapons. Bottom line, in my opinion, your better off with a Remington knock off. Post a pic of the finished product if you can customize it completely. I've never seen one fully decked out.

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    I will definitely be posting pics when I get it fully decked out. I'm planning after I upgrade my pump to get the Mossberg 930 or the Remington 870 Semi-Auto just wanna kinda deck out my pump since I shoot it more than anything else I own currently barring the ruger 10/22 tactical.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I will definitely be posting pics when I get it fully decked out. I'm planning after I upgrade my pump to get the Mossberg 930 or the Remington 870 Semi-Auto just wanna kinda deck out my pump since I shoot it more than anything else I own currently barring the ruger 10/22 tactical.

An old neighbor paid me to upgrade his Maverick for him (kinda guy that couldn't figure out how to change a tire). So I searched and searched and I ended up putting the Knox stock on HIS as well. There were a few other upgrades but I could never find a fore arm for it. Barrels are hard to come by but they're out there. I ended up just cutting his. I'm sure you'll have fun putting a lot into building up the Maverick, but I think after you do get one of the other guns you listed, you'll think, "shoulda just skipped right to this". At least, thats been my experience. The important thing is to have fun. If you get frustrated with the Maverick, sell it. Anyway, heres what I did to a Remington knock off I had laying around. Ive had an express and a Maverick for a short time and I found this Hawk model 981 to be of better quality and to be more reliable. This shotguns been through hell and still kick'n so I thought it deserved some restoration. NOT A HOME DEFENSE SHOTGUN. Its my version of a combat shotgun. Primarily for slugs, not for CQB but would work fine for it too, but I have one for that. The ATI stock is GREAT.

shotgun.gif

Heck yeah that's what I'm talkin about! I'm trying to decide if I should put a Side Saddle on it instead of the top mount for optics..if need be i can always have rifle sights or ghost ring sights on it but I'm not too bad with the bead sights.

Mesa tactical rail and side saddle. You can put a ghost ring sight on it for home defense or just plain old iron sight shooting, and later if you decide, you can put optics on it to shoot out further. You can get 1 for as low as 100 bucks and have both as apposed to 40 dollars for JUST the saddle or 30 for JUST the rail. One thing I've learned tinkering with my firearms is DO NOT sacrifice a foreseen purpose for your gun. It will end up costing you more in the end. And always ask "why" when deciding to do something to it. Have fun!

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    Right now I own a BSA Red Dot Sight that I use on some of my other weapons but I'm not sure how the recoil on the 12ga would effect the zeroing of the RDS but I think I'm gonna pick up that rail and try out my RDS on the Mav. After Dropping off the B-Square mount and picking up the Mesa Tactical rail I'm up to $305 so I think i'll stop there and use the rest on ammo to play with it :P

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    Decided to make another change. Dropped the mount for the time being and picked up a Swivel mount set and 15 round Sling for it and then later on down the road i'll probably pick up the Mesa Tac mount when I have the money (after I get back from my trip to Canada)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I dislike the Knoxx stocks, especially the one with springs in it.

An aggressive stance will cause it to hit you in the cheek, hard. And the gun actually moves too much. I actually had trouble with too much muzzle rise to the point that the shotgun wanted to part ways with my support hand. I put a "regular" stock on my 870 and have been way happier.

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    I dislike the Knoxx stocks, especially the one with springs in it.

An aggressive stance will cause it to hit you in the cheek, hard. And the gun actually moves too much. I actually had trouble with too much muzzle rise to the point that the shotgun wanted to part ways with my support hand. I put a "regular" stock on my 870 and have been way happier.
    That's why I chose to opt out on the Knoxx stocks and went with the ATI one. I have a ATI stock similar to the one I'm getting for the Mav on my 20ga and it works like a charm. I did have a Knoxx recoil reducing stock on it but much like you, I found it far to hard to shoot with from smashing me in the face to the point it almost broke my jaw and losing control of the gun I was quick to sell it to a friend and buy the ATI stock.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I put a side saddle and hiviz bead on my 88 and called it good. I'm not really a fan of putting AR stocks on shotguns. It seems to take away from the natural pointing ability... I had a light on there too, but I go back and forth on whether I really want it on there or not.

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    I just did a simple upgrade on mine to make it easier to handle for home defense. Heat shield is nice for not burning yourself at the range LOL

10DABEFF-97C3-4D50-BD16-D6F8C5A2CEF2-3048-0000038E7FCE1839.gif

ATI grip and heat shield with ghost ring sights.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I replaced the pinned forend on mine after the pins started loosening up, I got an older 500 forend and put a Houge grip on there. I just cut my stock down an inch to shorten the LOP and I've ordered a slip-on pad that I'm replacing the hard factory one with. I've got a side-saddle screwed into the stock that holds some extra shells, I also have an 18.5" security barrel to go along with my hunting barrel. I've got some sling swivel mounts to make hiking around with it easier. I've had mine about 10 years now and I've put 5000 or so shells through. Good shotguns, but some of the cheaper parts like the pinned forend will wear out eventually. Thankfully there are plenty of replacement parts available and I don't think they'll stop making them any time soon.

Top Bottom