• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGCOUNTRY01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Amarillo
    I know that this question has probably been asked several times before but im looking for some advice. Ive been playing with idea now for several years and ive decided that some time this year i want to build my own AR15. I dont want to build a 22 lr or 308. Im looking at building a 5.56 or 223 whichever you like to call it. Yes i do know that it is the same caliber. I have been browsing around brownells and i was wondering what is the cheapest route that a guy can take to build one. I dont have unlimited money im on sort of a tight budget but i figure i can buy a piece at a time. I know that it will take a while to get all the parts togeather. Its kind of like the old saying goes poor folk have poor ways. but adventually i want something that looks more tactical than a hunting rifle. Ive got enough hunting rifles. Any Advice that you can give me would be great on what to buy and wheres the cheapest place to pick up parts.
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just so it has been said, 5.56 and 223 are not the same caliber. 5.56 is hotter, and a 5.56 rifle will shoot both calibers safely. Not so much with a 223 rifle.

Anyways, a good cheap place to start would be a Plum Crazy lower. It is a complete lower unit for about $150 or so, or even cheaper if you get in on a group buy.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I just built a Stag 2HT for $828 out the door. You could always lower the cost by going with a Spikes lower or Plum Crazy. I like Stag and Spikes because they make a good product at an affordable price. I'm sure you can find less expensive uppers but workmanship may suffer. Just my two cents.

pick up a M4 style upper and parts kit from Pete for $614, add a Spikes lower and you're in the game for roughly $700.

AR15 Sales

RCC

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Willis, Tx
    I know that this question has probably been asked several times before but im looking for some advice. Ive been playing with idea now for several years and ive decided that some time this year i want to build my own AR15. I dont want to build a 22 lr or 308. Im looking at building a 5.56 or 223 whichever you like to call it. Yes i do know that it is the same caliber. I have been browsing around brownells and i was wondering what is the cheapest route that a guy can take to build one. I dont have unlimited money im on sort of a tight budget but i figure i can buy a piece at a time. I know that it will take a while to get all the parts togeather. Its kind of like the old saying goes poor folk have poor ways. but adventually i want something that looks more tactical than a hunting rifle. Ive got enough hunting rifles. Any Advice that you can give me would be great on what to buy and wheres the cheapest place to pick up parts.

First and foremost I will say you get what you pay for. I can't help with building a "cheap" AR but I can give some advice on building a "cost effective" one.

There are so many different good lowers out there to start with, you will have to make your mind up which one you like. I have personally used-

Spikes Tactical
    Palmetto State Armory
    S&W
    Mega from Rainier Arms
    Rock River Arms

All where of excellent quality. If your trying to save a few dollars check with Spikes and Palmetto as they usually have really good deals on blem lowers. They get the blem status from a cosmetic defect,all machining is spec. I use blem lowers on alot of builds. I have a couple of Spikes blems now and can't find anything thing wrong with them at all.

Heres one of the blems-

DSC00126.jpg

The next part of the lower is the lower parts kit. There's has been alot of debate on one being as good as the other. I will say the Daniel Defense LPK is the best for the money, but that's my opinion.

The other parts you need-

Upper receiver- any of the suppliers I listed above have them at great prices
    Bolt Carrier Group- there are many good ones. I would look for one that is mil-spec and full auto
    Barrel- this is one of the items that can make a gun shoot good or great. This is where I would advise spending a little money. I like Daniel Defense.
    Quad rail- there are so many different ones I don't where to start. Yankee Hill Machine makes some nice ones for the money.
    Stock- Magpul MOE is good to go for the price.

This is all just my opinion and I'm sure you will get many more that vary from mine.

I recently finished finished a couple of KISS carbines.

Here's the parts list I used-

S&W lower(Cerakoted sniper grey)
    Palmetto State upper(Cerakoted sniper grey)
    DD LPK
    DD BCG
    YHM Quad rail
    DD CHF barrel
    Front site base- customized by me
    Magpul MOE stock

Heres a few pictures of them-

FSB's ground smooth/bayonet lugs and sling swivels removed/drilled and tapped for set screws

NewGuns071.jpg

NewGuns075.jpg

Installing the gas pin/tube in FSB

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

Installing the barrel in the upper receiver

DSC00104.jpg

Installing the barrel nut

DSC00105.jpg

Torqued to specs

DSC00106.jpg

Making sure the quadrail and upper receiver are straight

DSC00098.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

Gas tube/FSB going on

DSC00101.jpg

Flash hider installed

DSC00103.jpg

All finished

DSC00113.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

The reason I have built 2 identical rifles is everytime my wife and I go shoot she claims my rifle is better than hers. So I built these two so she and I can finally end the debate.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    pick up jsesurplus complete upper and then a plumcrazy lower
    385 for the upper and 150 for the lower
    535 bucks for a complete gun

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Surplus Arms & Ammo LOW15 Stripped AR Lower Receiver

Inexpensive lower.

Lower Build Kits

Pick your poison there. Those kits finish off the lower so all that's left to do is slap a complete upper on it and take it to a range.

DSA ZM4 Forged 7075T6 A3 AR15 Upper Receiver - DSZM4CBU-D S Arms

You'll need a bolt carrier group and charging handle to finish that one. Sights or an optic would be nice too. DSArms sells the bcg and charging handle for $120.

If you want something the "snobs" use, check out Bravo Company Machining.

That's $559 for a basic carbine, minus shipping and FFL fees.

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    I highly doubt that you will come out cheaper since you won't have alot of the required tools (assumption)

If you want a reliable, cost effective (read: not best quality) AR15 buy a bushmaster for $899.00

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd avoid Bushmaster for the time being. Their quality control has gone downhill in the past year or two. I'm also worried DPMS will do the same since they're now sharing production with Bushmaster (same company owns both).

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Buy whatever lower fits your budget, $100 will get you one and go to Del-ton and order what upper you want. They run around $465, so for $600 you can have your own firearm you put together and will do as well as most anyone you buy in the $1000 price range. Quality is argueable on any of them unless you are paying $1200 or so. You will have mil spec parts and never had a problem with them. Have owned 3 colts and the ones I have put together run right with them.

Top Bottom