• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WesW

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2022
    Huffman
    I’m looking for .22 rifle. I’m not a avid gun guy myself tbh. I’m looking for something to kill turtles and snakes around my property. I’m open to something high end or even cheap that serves the purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I’m looking for .22 rifle. I’m not a avid gun guy myself tbh. I’m looking for something to kill turtles and snakes around my property. I’m open to something high end or even cheap that serves the purpose.

Welcome to TGT.

Stop over in the Intro Section and say hello to everyone when you get a chance.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    A Savage model 62/64 or Mkii will work. Or move up a little and get an A22.
    Henry lever action.
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin model 60
    All are more than adequate.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border

I do not advocate killing snakes but understand why some folks do so. What I do not get is why you want to shoot turtles, unless of course you mean for food but then trapping them is the better way, I think, to assure fresh turtle meat.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I do not advocate killing snakes but understand why some folks do so. What I do not get is why you want to shoot turtles, unless of course you mean for food but then trapping them is the better way, I think, to assure fresh turtle meat.
    If you are paying to have a pond stocked, you will quickly grow to turtles as a nuisance animal that will eradicate your fish in very short order.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    If you are paying to have a pond stocked, you will quickly grow to turtles as a nuisance animal that will eradicate your fish in very short order.

Same issue here. I have also had good luck using break-open pellet rifles for turtle control. Easier to find ammo and doesn't disturb the neighbors as much (though .22 Colibris are just as quiet).

WesW

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2022
    Huffman
    Yes the reason for getting rid of the turtles is for a stocked pond on my property. Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll keep my eyes out for one of those rifles.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have dogs and grandkids and kill every damn Copperhead, rattler or moccasin I see...every one every time! city folk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a GSG MP5 with spare magazine, 2 fixed butt stock(1 is foam filled), has a side folder on it, railed for-end stock. Not sure if I have the plain for end. It’s a fun turtle slayer, that I wouldn’t mind selling. What’s your budget?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Just leave this turtle alone!

turtle1.jpeg

WesW

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2022
    Huffman
    I have a GSG MP5 with spare magazine, 2 fixed butt stock(1 is foam filled), has a side folder on it, railed for-end stock. Not sure if I have the plain for end. It’s a fun turtle slayer, that I wouldn’t mind selling. What’s your budget?

I’m pretty open on a budget. Do you have any pictures? What area are you in?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    That’s bad ass. What’s the price on this setup?

Here is a link to how they are priced.

Magazines

I'd take $500.00

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

Magazines

I'd take $500.00
    Five hundred is a pretty good price!

WesW

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2022
    Huffman

Magazines

I'd take $500.00

Do you come towards Houston any?

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Must be a very small pond with very few fish. Most water turtles in the USA eat vegetation, insects, arthropods, mollusks, and carrion. While they also eat fish too, they seem to be more beneficial to a pond than not as long as not overpopulated. My uncle's pond thrived after the addition of a couple of turtle species, seemingly did better for the fish in it after they were added. My guess is because they ate what ate the fish fry. Of course, that is only guesswork on my part but the pond's fish population grew nicely after they were added.

Now though, because of your reply, I understand why someone may want to shoot them other than for food. Thank you.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I have dogs and grandkids and kill every damn Copperhead, rattler or moccasin I see...every one every time! city folk
    I realize the good that snakes do for the environment. When folks in an east Asian country ( think it was Vietnam) killed off as many snakes as possible, their communities and farmlands were overrun by rodents. Same thing happened in India. Being born in a city has little to nothing to do with my passion for snakes. That I am passionate and somewhat knowledgeable about them came from being in the country a lot and seeing lots of them on my uncle's far and at summer camp when I was young. I have kept and bred them and have written articles about them that were published in a couple of herpetological society journals, including internationally. I am not an expert but used to be an avid snake keeper. I merely have a different perspective about them than do you and where I was born or lived part of my life has little to do with it and is none of your concern.

As for killing them, I have killed my fair share but usually only for food or accidentally but no loner do so for food. I almost certainly would not kill one because it was near my dwelling kids or no kids around. I believe that either leaving them alone or very carefully capturing venomous ones and moving them to an area away from a home (best performed by a well trained amateur or a professional) would be the better alternative to shooting them because you fear them. I also found it a good idea to teach my son to avoid any snake he could not positively ID as nonvenomous. No big deal for me though, you can kill what you want as far as I am concerned - your house & your grand-kids. Now should I say: 'country folks'.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom