• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I have finished my first lb of H335 that I've been loading for my 5.56 (not hard to use a pound, . . . : ( )

Anyway, I like how H335 meters very well, but I don't like, even at 25 grains, I have a very difficult time seeing the powder level in the case. That is as close to max pressure as I'll do with a progressive. Since I'm using a progressive, I like being able to visually inspect each case on the go. With pistol's, I'm able to eyeball about how much powder is in there pretty close.

So, I guess I'm looking for a slower burning powder. . . . This is mostly plinking and maybe hunting, so I'd like to keep my bullets cheap for now. Which means 55grain and 62 grain fmj's with some more expensive stuff for hunting.

I don't want expensive powder, and I want it to meter well.

Thoughts, ideas, recommendations.
    Guns International

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Varget for my precision stuff and Ramshot TAC for my plinking stuff. Both fill the case up, but the TAC is cheap, meters well in the Dillon and works really well for 55gr FMJ and 77gr HPBT. I'd definately suggest trying out some TAC.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    not hard to use a pound, . . .

Ain't that the truth!

I've been reloading all of mine with Varget. Works well for me. Easily seen in the case. Haven't had any problems metering it.

Don't know about TAC, but it seems to be in line with Varget and most other powders, pricewise.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I just started reloading 223 and found Varget to work well and it meters OK in my Hornady powder measure. Using LC brass, ~25 gr. reached the neck and yielded ~2800 fps in my 16" 1:7 Colt LE with Hornady 55 gr. FMJ-BT (#2267). I've only shot a few rounds at each charge as I am working up a load, but I'm pleased with the accuracy and consistency so far.

I will probably try AA2230 next as I have heard a lot of good comments on it as well.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I run varget through mine. I use a rcbs competition powder measure and check every load on a dillon d-terminator, they come out very well and uniform, the grains are a hair long but not enough to start having a case full of sheared grains like you'd get with 4350

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I reload with Winchester 748 in my .223 reloads. I use 25.6 grains of powder and push a Sierra 52 gr. Match King HPBT bullet. I heard Winchester (Hodgeon) is very similar (if not the same) to what the military is using. It is a medium burn rate powder and I find it is a cleaner powder that other brands I have used. I reload on a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press. I use the RCBS powder measuring device, and I have no problems with the powder dispensing. 25.6 grains of Win. 748 will fill a .223 case up to where the case begins to bottle neck making it easy to verify the powder level.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I reload with Winchester 748 in my .223 reloads. I use 25.6 grains of powder and push a Sierra 52 gr. Match King HPBT bullet. I heard Winchester (Hodgeon) is very similar (if not the same) to what the military is using. It is a medium burn rate powder and I find it is a cleaner powder that other brands I have used. I reload on a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press. I use the RCBS powder measuring device, and I have no problems with the powder dispensing. 25.6 grains of Win. 748 will fill a .223 case up to where the case begins to bottle neck making it easy to verify the powder level.

Winchester 748 is what I use also, was recommended to me by Mr. George, owner of Pigeon Road Guns and Range, Stephenhville, TX...Clean burning ball powder, good velocity and accuracy. Try it, you'll like it.

griff383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Arlington
    I use Benchmark in a LEE turret press and I can get it to meter 24.8 grains all day long with no variation at all. I put this under a 55 gr HP and it is very accurate out of 1:9 16" AR

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    AA2230 meters like sand and burns clean. At 24 grains or so(well below max), its starts to fill up cases close to the neck. Varget is nearly impossible to overload in most bullet sizes for the 223. You would have to fill a case almost completely to the top and compress the hell out of it to make it unsafe. It is also extremely clean burning but it's also expensive and "chunky". I just got my hands on some 748 and H335, so I can't comment on them just yet. Overall, AA2230 is a clean, low cost powder that works well on 50-62gr bullets.

Zivadog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    I will second that on the Win 748. My most accurate varmit round is a tad over 25 gr of it with a Hornady V-Max 55gr bullet. These loads used in my Rem 700 SPS, Rem 700 Sporter and the wifes Handi Rifle. Works well in all of them.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Plus 1 on the Varget. That's all I use now for my .223. I worked up a load of 26.2 grains of Varget with a 55 grain SP that shot a 7/16 in. group out of my 16" 1 in 9 barrel. It would probably do better if I could see better and shoot better!

Top Bottom