Patriot Mobile

Logical Fallacies or how to identify the oppositions tactics and win debates :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Many times we see the posting "How can I win an argument with a liberal" or an anti-gunner. Posters have asked for tips and guidance on this topic quite frequently. They get good advice here, but it's not usually not complete or in a concise form.

This loooooooong video goes through a lot of things, if you understand them, you will have a greater chance to counter and battle those that use them.

DK Firearms

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    It is important to know that some people will never believe the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, no matter how much evidence you can prove.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Three thoughts on speaking to others who have a different opinion

#1: It can't be seen as an argument.

#2: If you don't know why you advocate a position then you certainly can't explain it to someone else.

#3: Every person out there is responsible for their own decisions. You can't make someone believe anything. It's up to them. Sometimes it's a bad use of time to engage.

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    I wouldn't waste my time arguing with a leftists. What do you expect to accomplish? change thier mind? It's not going to happen. The liberals, leftists, whatever description you choose, are people who are mentally and emotionally gone for all practical purposes.
    I would and do focus my time & efforts amongst those in the populace who are still reachable in terms of understanding & accepting the truth of things.
    Discrediting the lies of the left is the best way to beat them and reach those who are still reachable.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The wise will realize there is NO POINT in debating a liberal unless you have an audience of rational but undecided fence-sitters. Liberals are immune to logic and reason.

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    I see what you guys are doing in those ^^^^^ posts, same tactics the video talks about.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you as I havn't watched the video, if my own line of thought matches what they're saying in the video then so much the better.

Add edit: it being an hour long, come this weekend I'll watch it, I might learn something.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I'm not sure I'm understanding you as I havn't watched the video, if my own line of thought matches what they're saying in the video then so much the better.

Add edit: it being an hour long, come this weekend I'll watch it, I might learn something.

I like you are admitting that you are making comments in a thread about a video you have not watched. That kind of honesty is appreciated . Not sure if others will admit the same thing. Don't think you will learn a lot as opposed to recognize a lot. These are concepts that we are exposed to daily and have been for most of our lives. It's about understanding and recognizing them. You can then use them, counter them, or play against or along with them.

I also know that in today's world, not many people can sit still for that amount of time. If they don't get a full picture in the first dozen seconds, they move on. Very few will actually watch it, many more will post about it, or what they think is relevant to the video without ever looking.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    The wise will realize there is NO POINT in debating a liberal unless you have an audience of rational but undecided fence-sitters. Liberals are immune to logic and reason.

Most of them. They're not all idiots. A liberal can construct a logically valid argument, thought they rarely do.

Informal fallacies can go both ways. You'd be surprised how often they're spouted on both sides.

Instead of focusing on logic and debating every little liberal argument, I like to focus on the bigger picture with them, or I just laugh at them and point out that they are gutless.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Some of us have more important things to do.

The PW thread ain't gonna run itself in to the ground.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Informal fallacies can go both ways. You'd be surprised how often they're spouted on both sides.

This is VERY true. The last thing you want to do is repeat some statistic you read on the Internet only to have it proven wrong. It destroys your credibility.

Prove their statistics to be flawed in front of a group and destroy theirs. It's a devastating hit for whoever doesn't have their "facts" straight.

I've gotten to the point I fact check everything before I use it in an argument with a liberal.

The most common statistic I've debunked is the "gun deaths" numbers. After factoring out suicides the number drops way down. Support that with the fact that nations with strict gun laws (I use Australia) saw massive decreases in gun suicides but no measurable difference in overall suicide rates to prove that a large junk of the "gun deaths" number is irrelevant and not applicable to a debate on gun violence.

Then add in defensive shooting by citizens and LE, including the Boston bombers and the number drops even more.

But you probably wanna check that before you use it. The percentage is much higher than you might think.

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    The most common statistic I've debunked is the "gun deaths" numbers. After factoring out suicides the number drops way down. Support that with the fact that nations with strict gun laws (I use Australia) saw massive decreases in gun suicides but no measurable difference in overall suicide rates to prove that a large junk of the "gun deaths" number is irrelevant and not applicable to a debate on gun violence.

chunk :)

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Some times liberals "Get it."

Last week, my sister, an unrepentant "Progressive", helped our mother do some brush clearing. As they dragged some brush up to the street, a stranger walked up to the property line and startled the dames. My sister told him he was trespassing and to go away. The fellow told her he needed to take a piss.

When she told him to go away again, he refused and continued onto the property where he could relieve himself.

Fortunately, a neighbor saw the commotion, and called the police.

In the ensuing melee, the fellow pissed his pants, and the cops called EMS to take him to a hospital.

When I asked my sister if she had her cell phone with her to call 911, she said no, "but I wish I had a gun instead."

She was lucky -- and now she knows it could be different the next time.

Top Bottom