• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Never heard of any bacteria like that growing up, I'd always heard swimming in the salt water actually helped heal a wound. We'd catch and cook fish on the beach and shrimp just past the breakers.
    Only issue I recall was only harvesting oysters a couple months of the year and the occasional oil spill.
    Where/when did all these rot your arm off bacteria and such come from? Is it just we were kids and got lucky?
    Good friend about lost his leg...from swimming in Lake Erie....

Was in the ICU for several weeks....

Some "flesh eating bacteria"?

This would have been in the late '90's?

CryptoEpik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2023
    Houston
    In truth, any fish, especially shellfish (filter feeders), can harbor a contamination. Vibrio is bad, but there are other pathogens one can encounter eating contaminated fish. To lessen the possibility; cook it thoroughly.

For example: Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) is a serious illness caused by eating shellfish contaminated with algae that contains Paralytic Shellfish Toxin (PST), a toxin harmful to humans. This toxin is extremely poisonous; as little as one milligram (0.000035 ounce) is enough to kill an adult.

I agree with Lonesome Dove; tilapia is not a good fish to eat.
    I'll pass on it every time.
    Yikes, no more fish for me and my family.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    If you are going to eat farm raised fish look where it came from The stuff from turd world countries is a solid no go for me. Remember in those countries the river is the toilet and garbage disposal. Raising fish in those waters .... The only farm raised fish I will eat is catfish, I rarely buy fish in the store anymore and if I do I get teh frozen.. It is acutally fresher, usually flash frozen the day it was caught. The "fresh" fish at the fish market was at best caught three days ago.

CryptoEpik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2023
    Houston
    If you are going to eat farm raised fish look where it came from The stuff from turd world countries is a solid no go for me. Remember in those countries the river is the toilet and garbage disposal. Raising fish in those waters .... The only farm raised fish I will eat is catfish, I rarely buy fish in the store anymore and if I do I get teh frozen.. It is acutally fresher, usually flash frozen the day it was caught. The "fresh" fish at the fish market was at best caught three days ago.
    That is so gross. This just makes you want to go out hunting for your own food; atleast so you know where your meal came from and you handled it yourself.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Never heard of any bacteria like that growing up, I'd always heard swimming in the salt water actually helped heal a wound. We'd catch and cook fish on the beach and shrimp just past the breakers.
    Only issue I recall was only harvesting oysters a couple months of the year and the occasional oil spill.
    Where/when did all these rot your arm off bacteria and such come from? Is it just we were kids and got lucky?

Vibrio has always been there. It is present in all saltwater.
    It is especially present in stagnant brackish water such as back up in the marshes.
    Add in the heat of the summer sun and it thrives in ditches and canals.
    Beach front water typically is oxygenated well due to the surf. Vibrio doesn't like oxygen so it is much less a threat there.
    A normal healthy person has little to fear from it. If you have any comorbidities it can get you.
    A very good tip an old time fisherman taught me was to keep a gallon jug of fresh water with a slug of bleach mixed in it on the boat. If you get a cut or jab from a marine creature wash the wound with the water/bleach solution. Also take a good hot soapy shower at the end of the fishing day.
    I have personally seen what that stuff can do. It can and will wreck you.
    One guy I saw had it in his leg. He was a drunk and didn't go see the doctor until it was too late. It rotted his leg off. He later died from the after effects.
    Doctors down here along the coast know what it is and can diagnose it fairly quickly. They see it a lot.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Thanks, never knew any of this. I grew up near the coast, fishing and eating marine critters we caught Odd that I never heard of anyone getting ill other than the situations I mentioned. Of course my memory isn't what it was though it seems I'd have heard that.
    Heck I remember picking fish up off the ice behind the Kelso / West Gulf shipyards after unexpected freezes. They started flopping in the sink when they thawed while I was cleaning them.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    One a the few thing Bush II did was the COOL compliant Act. Country Of Origin Label. I remember when it rollout out & what A PITA it was. I was on everything in the meat & seafood department. Brand names like Mrs. Paul & Gorton's turned into asians over night. Ground beef in my time as a meat cutter went from generating you own trim to tube beef from like 8 countries.

Y'all remember Mad Cow? That exposed places like Chili's using cheaper baby back ribs from Europe. Chili's back ribs were no longer offered as they banned the importation of them.

Another thing to be very leery of is cooked shrimp. Almost all of the peeled cooked shrimp I had ever seen in the store came from Vietnam. So when you were ay a buffer or brunch or most catered events & you seen a big pile of cooked shrimp it was most likely imported. Frozen Crawfish ail Meat is another nasty ass import 95% of the time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom