• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Welcome to Texas! Unfortunately from what I understand this state has little to no public land in which to shoot on. Seems odd to me honestly. But someone else with more knowledge will chime in I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Something like 96% of all land in Texas is private land. Of the 4% remaining, most of it is local and state parks or COE. The national forests in east Texas which don’t offer much in the ways of shooting. There’s a couple postage stamps of BLM in the panhandle and outside El Paso. Last I checked the panhandle BLM stamp did not allow discharge of firearms.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Another voice in the "nope, sorry" catagory. And if you're a land owner (or friend of a land owner) - you need so much acreage to legally shoot on your land in most counties. 10 acres seems the generic minimum throughout Texas, though there are counties that require less. I think the smallest parcel I've read of so far is 3 acres. Some are 5.

Big shock if you come from out west, where there's a lot of public land.

Wife and I just bought a membership to a gun range - so for about $40 a month we can shoot as much as we like, and all it is going to cost additionally is gas and ammo.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Welcome to Texas! Unfortunately from what I understand this state has little to no public land in which to shoot on. Seems odd to me honestly. But someone else with more knowledge will chime in I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Texas was a Republic, it had substantial land holdings, but a lot of debt after the war with Mexico.

When we went to become join the united states, one stipulation was to make good the debts which Texas did by giving land away.

The end result is there is almost no public land in Texas which stand in stark contrast to its weatern neighbors and states like Arkansas or even Missouri

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Screenshot_20230908_180043_Chrome.jpg

I just had to post this

Cassivellaunus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2023
    Arlington, TX
    Wow. I had no idea, it's such a big state. Guess I'll have to make friends with a ranch owner. Thanks everyone.

While I have you all here, how are the outdoor gun ranges in the DFW area?

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    When I was a young fella, I used to frequent the public shooting range in Garland. I just checked their website and it still looks shooter friendly. Still open 365. I'd be interested to hear if its still a fun place to shoot.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Wow. I had no idea, it's such a big state. Guess I'll have to make friends with a ranch owner. Thanks everyone.

While I have you all here, how are the outdoor gun ranges in the DFW area?
    The Garland gun range is a good one. That's where I shoot.

Another great time and place to shoot is when a member host a greet and meet at their place.

Top Bottom