• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    When I had a telescope I tried to figure when the ISS would pass in front of the moon to get a picture, never happened for me.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Tune your scanner to 145.825 MHz to decode the packet radio and 145.800 MHz (FM) to listen to the astronauts when they talk to schools or other Hams. AR1SS amateur radio aboard ISS.

ETA: Amateur radio packet decoders are available as apps for tablets. just put the radio speaker near the tablet mic.

Last edited:

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Very cool. I'd like to point my wife's telescope at it tonight. How fast does the ISS move? (I assume it uses higher orbit than satellites so it moves slower?)

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Tune your scanner to 145.825 MHz to decode the packet radio and 145.800 MHz (FM) to listen to the astronauts when they talk to schools or other Hams. AR1SS amateur radio aboard ISS.
    How good of an antenna do you need for the FM broadcast? I have a 1/2 wavelength 2-meter band whip on the roof so I wonder if that would be enough.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Very cool. I'd like to point my wife's telescope at it tonight. How fast does the ISS move? (I assume it uses higher orbit than satellites so it moves slower?)
    ISS is in a low earth orbit, 90-93 minutes or so orbital period, so it moves pretty fast. Use the lowest power/widest possible FOV on your telescope and be prepared to keep moving it to follow.

Reactions: BBL

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    How good of an antenna do you need for the FM broadcast? I have a 1/2 wavelength 2-meter band whip on the roof so I wonder if that would be enough.
    I pick it up easy with my mobile rig, remember it's only 254 miles away when passing overhead.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI

PDQ

This is for a location in NW Austin near Cedar Park.

1663010388838.png

Web url is https://www.heavens-above.com/

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Thank you!
    Especially for the metric time units.

If I am reading the chart correctly (I hope so), does it mean that the station will pass pretty much overhead on the 14th?

That is correct.

Also, starting/ending altitudes greater than 10° are due to emerging from and going into the Earth’s shadow.

Top Bottom