DK Firearms

Interesting incident while walking the dog.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I carry every time we walk our dog....more so for other dogs than for bad guys! I think you handled the situation well and showed a tremendous amount of patience...I would have been drawn the moment that doberman hinted at an aggressive approach! I love dogs, and I think they only do what they have been taught so I hold their owners accountable when they are aggressive like that, but I still have to end the threat! I usually walk with my mom and the dog so I am protecting a lot more than just myself when we walk!

I would carry on with your daily life and react to whatever situation comes your way, regardless of which house it stepped out of!
    Venture Surplus ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    To me, you showed remarkable restraint. With my wife's eye problems, if an off leash dog charges, it's probably getting shot. I would expect no less if my dog got loose and attacked someone that could not defend any other way. Especially if it was a kid,,,,,, and I love my dog.
    I just can't understand people like that.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    My vote pop the dog.... im not a animal lover at all... but respect those that are..
    Me phobia about dogs... leashed i give a wide berth.. unleashed and run up on me. One chance to control your dog...
    Then gunfire breaks out... she knew and didn't care. .. funny to her? Mabye.. to you h2da naw
    See how funny it is when you bury your dog....

Tru story lived in Lawrence ks.. guy had a mastiff roaming the hood.. came home one night . He's on my porch..
    Won't let me up.. i have to climb in a window..
    See the owners the next day ... told him about it.. well it happened 4 more times.
    Finally told him if I find him up on my porch again im going to kill him...

He said if I do im in trouble with him... well the dog was up there again..
    He died.. cops called , the guy ranting and raving, , about how he's going to kill me..
    The cops drew down on me cause i came that close to a case...
    If you love dogs cool but please control them... anybody who knows me on here knows im afraid of dogstruly afraid ..

And will hurt one in a ny minute if it tries to bite my

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    DUDE I AM SO THERE! I under stand and commiserate completely.

I have had very similar happen to me while walking our dog(s). I even had a lady knock a pepper spray out of my hand when I was trying to spray her dog that was attacking mine. Things went downhill after that (for them) but I won't discuss that on an electronic format.

Did you file a report with the police? I did. If something happens again you call the police first-remember he who calls first has an advantage. Don't threaten her, but warn her dog is a dangerous threat to you and your dog and you are going to stop the threat if she can't.

I would recommend a large can of very strong spray, and if your dog gets attacked, let the leash go slack. You're trying to break up a situation-your dog is in a fight. Don't put your dog at a disadvantage.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I take a pretty proactive approach with my neighbors. Things my girlfriend wants to call the cops about, I just walk over and resolve with polite conversation. TXI I believe you are 100% in the right in how you handled the situation. My next move would be to reach out and make contact with husband, probably via phone or in the form of a greeting card. If nothing else, it might give you some insight. If you had said that to my wife/girlfriend, I would be saving you the trip, call, card and paying a visit personally. If you have a chance to deescalate, take it. Even if it means saying things to them you don't mean, like I may have overreacted in the heat of the moment. Just my 2 cents. I have zero problems with how you handled the situation. Now comes damage control.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Having said that, what is the positive vs. the negative outcome?

Negative: you get in a gun battle with the husband.
    Positive:?

EDIT: I am not trying to be combative and your approach may be perfect, but what are you trying to achieve? I see approaching the husband as potentially going very bad, very quickly.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    To me, you showed remarkable restraint.

Literally took the words out of my mouth.
    Assuming there are leash laws in force, I would not hesitate to pursue a formal complaint immediately.
    Next time might not end as well.

joking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2015
    Houston
    ...next move would be to reach out and make contact with husband, probably via phone or in the form of a greeting card. If nothing else, it might give you some insight...

^^^ I second this.

TXI, I think you handle the situation well. You don't have to change your walking routine, just be more on the look out side.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Assuming there are leash laws in force, I would not hesitate to pursue a formal complaint immediately.

Agreed. Based on your description of events, I would have made a formal complaint on the spot so there would be a record already on file in case there is a second complaint. Not sure how it works were you are, but Austin Animal Control does not tolerate a second complaint on a dangerous unleashed animal.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Agreed. Based on your description of events, I would have made a formal complaint on the spot so there would be a record already on file in case there is a second complaint. Not sure how it works were you are, but Austin Animal Control does not tolerate a second complaint on a dangerous unleashed animal.

Exactly.
    And not only in the event of a second complaint, but any future repercussions from the original incident.

Sad that this should be a necessary, but prudent move, but we live in a world full of animal owners dumber than their pets.

Raised in a farm environment where a leashed dog was the exception. Only time I've been seriously injured by a dog was when extracting a child from the middle of a dog fight, result of a similar situation to the OP's.

Pretty much convinced me that, in an urban environment, no dog should ever be off leash.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    What else can you really do? I probably would have stuck around if I were armed, sent the lady (wife) and my dog home, then waited for cops. Only because she said she'd send her husband to my house. That'd be a threat in my book. Also, I'm sure you know this, but Texas code allows you to shoot a dog that is attacking your dog. Heck, you can shoot it later after the fact and still be covered under law. But I understand the reservation of going that route.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Wife and I were on the last 1/4 mile of a 3 mile walk with our Huskey. We are walking down the last street before our street when we see a woman across the street with some little dog off leash. (Our dog is leashed) Then I see a HUGE doberman about 20 feet away from the woman. The dobie sees us and makes a bee line. The woman calls out to the dog, but he keeps coming. I try to step between he and my dog, but the dobie just runs around me. His hackles are up and he lunges and growls. I kicked out at the dog, but he dodged me. I yelled at the woman to control her dog, but she casually walks across the street like nothing is wrong. He dog lunges two or three more time, and I keep yanking my dog away and kicking out at the dobie. I made contact once or twice.

This woman tells me to calm down, and does nothing to get her dog under control. I tell her that there is a leash law and she needs to get her fucking dog under control. She just would do nothing to control her dog. She was so......casual, meanwhile I kick her dog again as he lunges. I am moving away from her dog with my husky, but the dobie keeps coming. She is walking around near me telling me I am stupid, telling me I am over-reacting (while I am trying to keep her dog off of my dog) I tell her that if he keeps lunging I am going to shoot her dog. At that point she actually moves in and takes control of her dogs collar and berates ME. I am disappointed in myself, because I then called her a dumb fucking c u n t. :(

She asked me to call the police, so I did. At that point she put her dog on the ground and leaned on him. She said she was going to send her husband to my house because I "threatened her" I told dispatch that. I had moved about 30 feet from her and her dog, and my sense caught up with me. I told dispatch I was not going to sit around and wait for a cop and allow the woman the opportunity to re-escalate.

Arrrgh... Now I KNOW that when I run down that street or walk the dog again that woman or her husband are going to confront me/us. :banghead:

Yes, I can avoid the street. However, it is the only street I can use that has sidewalks and connects to the rest of the neighborhood. :banghead::banghead:

On a side note, I belong to a forum type website called "Nextdoor" that our neighborhood is on. Back in December, a woman posted how her dog (off leash) ran up to an older woman whose little dog was on leash. The older woman walked with a cane, and she used it to hit the off leash dog. The woman was offended and upset that the elderly woman hit her dog with the cane. I don't get that thinking. I have to wait until your dog bites me or my dog before I decide if it is dangerous or not?

No point or question, I guess, just a rant.

Next time maybe I'll just pop the dog and say nothing.

You know waay more about this than I do but I would go to the police dept and speak to someone about her threats. I would get on record informing them of what had happened and what she had threatened to do to you on your property with her husband. I would also report the of leash dog. Maybe this won't have an affect and possibly (depending upo where you live) the police will tell you to **** off. Either way you have just as much right to walk down any street in the USA that you damn well please. This includes not being harassed by some bitch with an off leash dog no matter what breed.

Next time you go down this street or anywhere near this property I would have your have have a camera out rolling to take video. Record everything that happens so that next time the police have something to go on when they fly off the handle.

Sorry that happened to you and I know it can be an exciting moment deciding what to do in split seconds. BTW My Cane Corso would have torn that Doobie to shreds and more than likely I would gotten into it with her husband. I probably would have shot her dog.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    What else can you really do? I probably would have stuck around if I were armed, sent the lady (wife) and my dog home, then waited for cops. Only because she said she'd send her husband to my house. That'd be a threat in my book. Also, I'm sure you know this, but Texas code allows you to shoot a dog that is attacking your dog. Heck, you can shoot it later after the fact and still be covered under law. But I understand the reservation of going that route.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

However you still might be charged with local laws pertaining to shooting firearms within city limits for example.
    And it would break my heart to shoot a dog. People suck but all dogs start out cool.

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    Report it and see what they can do about her saying she is going to send her husband to your house.

No way I would send any type "card" of written communications apologizing in any way for what you said or taking ownership of any part of the conversation saying it is your fault. In any future action between you and the couple anything you have written down could possibly work against you.

No matter how good your intentions would be a paper trail has sunk more than one person in the past that was innocent.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I would tend to agree with that.
    Edit: I would wait until the next time. If they come up to you and appologize, all is good. If they come to you and things get sideways again, it's clearly them that came after you.
    from an idgit coffeeholic

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I would tend to agree with that.
    Edit: I would wait until the next time. If they come up to you and appologize, all is good. If they come to you and things get sideways again, it's clearly them that came after you.
    from an idgit coffeeholic
    This

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Report it and see what they can do about her saying she is going to send her husband to your house.

No way I would send any type "card" of written communications apologizing in any way for what you said or taking ownership of any part of the conversation saying it is your fault. In any future action between you and the couple anything you have written down could possibly work against you.

No matter how good your intentions would be a paper trail has sunk more than one person in the past that was innocent.

Good advice, IMO.

Top Bottom