• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    I'm looking for some inert primers to make novelties with. Any ideas on where I can find these? I've contacted CCI, Winchester, and Remington with no luck there.

Another idea is to make the ones I have inert. I could empty them or fire 'em. How can I do either?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Use already fired ones. Take a punch and flatten them back out if you want. Or, some chemicals will kill a primer, but I am not sure what chemical to use exactly.

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    Use already fired ones. Take a punch and flatten them back out if you want. Or, some chemicals will kill a primer, but I am not sure what chemical to use exactly.

The folks at CCI said that most alcohols or even water will make them inert, but then when they dry out they are active again.

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    A drop of oil is what I kill one with when necessary.

CCI said that even oil will dry out making them active again. He said that no substance will make the explosive in primers inactive forever. Primers are designed to last forever. That's why you can get ammunition 30-40 or even 50 years old that will fire. The powder loses some of it's potentcy, but not the primer.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    OK..........Put a drop of oil in the primer, drill out the case flashhole to 1/8" dia. or more, prime the case with the inert primer, then seal the bottom of the empty case with wax/parafin, etc. 'bout 1/4" deep. That should keep it from drying out (at least for a generation or two).

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I would flatten some old ones with a punch and reprime. If you are brave enough you can use a pick to remove the anvil(weird iron cross looking thing) from some new ones. Although this will leave the primer mix in the cup, without an anvil in the primer, it's nearly impossible to set off(except when immersed in fire). I once had some media packed in the flash hole of a piece of primed brass, I just loaded it in my rifle, took it out in the garage and fired it out. It wasn't too noisy or dangerous at all.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I would definitely go the used one route and flatten out as already suggested. Trying to take new primers and trying to make inert with oil or whatever is just to risky. They could still go "Bang" and that might ruin the novelty real fast.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom