• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwsintxs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2013
    Addison, TX
    I saw this sign about an hour ago at Marsh Lane and Keller Springs. It is a convenience store 'S & T Beer and Wine' and they are displaying the 51% sign and also the 'Unlicensed possession of a weapon sign.

I have a CHL and didnt notice the sign until I was leaving.

Seems odd that they post both signs and I can't decide if it's correct or not and also whether or not I was in the wrong when I was in there.
    conflicting signage 20140801_134952.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    As far as I know there should only be one "weapon" sign, not both, and the 51% only applies to an "On-Premise Retail Establishment", which does not seem to be the case considering the third "consumption" sign. Which one they're licensed for should be publicly available information on TABC's website if you really want to know. Personally, I'd assume the worst case scenario, not carry, and take my business elsewhere.

Last edited:

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    The thing with the 51% sign (unlike a 30.06 sign) is that it is not the existence of the sign that defines whether or not it is legal for you to carry there. They either are a 51% establishment according to the TABC or they are not...you can check HERE. If they are not...that sign does not make it illegal for you to carry. It is best to be cautious though, if you are not sure.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    No fear, TI will pop his head in shortly, nitpick every word/phrase uttered thus far on the issue, and be absolutely, 100% correct on all counts. ;)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I saw this sign about an hour ago at Marsh Lane and Keller Springs. It is a convenience store 'S & T Beer and Wine' and they are displaying the 51% sign and also the 'Unlicensed possession of a weapon sign.

I have a CHL and didnt notice the sign until I was leaving.

Seems odd that they post both signs and I can't decide if it's correct or not and also whether or not I was in the wrong when I was in there.
    View attachment 29463

The 51% sign is for places permitted for on premise consumption..

You can go to the TABC website and run a public search and see which sign any TABC licensee should display

Tree Phantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2014
    Grapevine mills mall, parked went directly in Nieman Marcus. Shopped, then when into the mall. Was then I saw the" SIGN" on a outside wall. Turned and left the way I came in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2014
    Temple
    Just an FYI. (Though I'm sure most will already know this.) A establishment must have 30.06 posted at every entrance. I even dug deeper to make sure " Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06." B4 is hospitals, B5 is amusement parks, and B6 is a church.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just an FYI. (Though I'm sure most will already know this.) A establishment must have 30.06 posted at every entrance. I even dug deeper to make sure " Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06." B4 is hospitals, B5 is amusement parks, and B6 is a church.

There is no requirement for any establishment to have 30.06 posted at ANY entrance, much less every entrance.

superchief

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    Southwest Cow Town
    I personally don't carry anywhere that has any kind of indication they don't want a CHL in the building. I go somewhere else to spend my money or I leave it in the car.

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    Right but without them they have no legal cause to keep CHL holders out. Or am I missing something.

The point is that there is nothing in the statute that says where the signs need to be...only that they must be conspicuous. Not only do they not need to be at all entrances...they don't need to be at an entrance at all. Too many people get the mistaken impression that if they don't see a proper 30.06 sign at the entrance they are using that they are legally "good to go" no matter what. A proper 30.06 sign posted anywhere on the property, as long as it is conspicuous, meets the statute. Even if you don't see one, or if you see a non-conforming one, you should continue to remain just as observant just in case there is a compliant one elsewhere where you didn't expect it.

Top Bottom