Please reply by conversation.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Price Change ........................... $225
    Dual band antenna added to package. See post #15 for details!
    I'm selling my ICOM 208H Amateur UHF/VHF transceiver rated at 50 to 60 watts (based on frequency) output power. I bought it new several years ago. It will listen from approximately 50 megacycles up to close to 1000 megacycles. It will transmit on the Ham bands in the VHF and UHF spectrum. By removing two chips (which has not been done but instructions are included), it will broaden that ability and transmit out of the ham bands. It comes with everything it had when I bought it which includes, radio (appx. 1.5" x 5" x 7"), cable for remote mounting (you can mount the display on the dash and mount the radio under the seat or in a glove compartment or just hang the radio under the dash), microphone with push to talk and a keypad that will allow you to scan up or down frequencies, adjust the speaker volume, and some other functions, power cable, mounting cable, original box, and microphone clip. I don't want to necessarily ship it but I will at buyers expense (box is about 2" x 12" x 14"). I purchased it for over $300. It has worked perfectly for me since I bought it and was working when I removed it from my vehicle. I'm asking $275 cash or USPS money order. PM me for inquiries. All offers will be considered. Thanks for looking.

Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    What else is needed to function or is this an out of the box plug and play? I know NOTHING about these.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    A.Texas.Yankee,

Just a half hour or so of labor & a suitable antenna.
    (YEP, I'm a ham operator.)

IF I needed another VHF/UHF radio, I'd be a buyer. = GOOD PRICE & the Icom 208-H is a nice radio.

yours, satx

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    A. Texas Yankee

And a Technician Class ham Radio license. The license is not required to listen, but required to transmit. I am licensed also and this is a good deal. If you are not licensed, feel free to PM me for info. It is really easy to get.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I've always been interested, but not sure I'm ready to start. But I didn't know you needed a license just to chat. Dang government!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Yes, on Ham Radio frequencies you do need a license. It has been that way for 100 years or so. Radio frequencies and their allocations have always been federally controlled by the FCC, Federal Communications Commission, to keep some semblance of order across the spectrum. Getting a license is just a matter of studying the questions and answers. They give you all of them up front. The pool has 426 questions, all multiple choice, and you will be asked 35 of those in the test. Test generally runs around $15 or so and the license is good for 10 years. There are web sites also that will help you study. hamtestonline will keep hammering you with what you do not know till you can just look at a question and know the answer.

If you have an interest, check on ham radio clubs in your area. I am sure they will love to have you and give you all the info you need.

I am a volunteer examiner and in the Travis/Williamson county area we are getting around 20 new hams a month.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    A.Texas.Yankee,

Just a half hour or so of labor & a suitable antenna.
    (YEP, I'm a ham operator.)

IF I needed another VHF/UHF radio, I'd be a buyer. = GOOD PRICE & the Icom 208-H is a nice radio.

yours, satx

Sorry to be so late getting back to you. I've been helping a friend do some remodeling. It is, as satx78247 said, basically a plug and play. The manuals go step by step on how to do it. It's not difficult if you follow the instructions. You can put in all the frequencies you want to listen to, including the local ham repeaters, public safety, cops, fire, EMS, etc. if they are not using digital equipment, and learn a lot from the local hams. Local hams (especially clubs) are always friendly and willing to help anyone. And as stated, most ham clubs hold classes for new folks (usually free). It's not complicated but it will all be new to someone who's never had experience. It's NOT like CB radio in that it's a select group of dedicated amateur radio operators. I'll PM you. I've been a ham radio operator for over 40 yrs.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ATexas.Yankee,

If I can get a ham license, ANYBODY CAN, as I'm "electronically challenged". = I've been licensed since 1990.

The TECHNICIAN license exam is EASY.

yours, satx

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I'm adding to the package a UHF/VHF (dual band) mobile antenna. It's approximately 16" high and transmits and receives on UHF and VHF. Buyer would need to buy a cable with a PL259 connector on one end (for the radio) and an NMO mount for the antenna to screw on. These cables are easy to come by and typically costs between $10 and $20.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Charlie,

As good of a deal on a really nice radio as this is, I cannot believe that one of our crowd hasn't "jumped on" your deal. - FACT.

yours, satx

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom