• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    From another Vet that for now has to rely on the VA. You hang in there. Be careful with what you post for the public to see. Some of your feelings are triggers for those so called doctors.
    You can learn to be cool with your past and understand our war may be over so we need not be always on alert. If you want to count people in the parking lot that's OK. Make it a game. When you get to 100 note that none of them wanted to hurt you. (Or if they did they didn't have the balls) It's always good to know the best exit, you are a step ahead of the others. Consider how many you might lead out of danger if you had to.
    You are an asset to this world because of what you know. It's just how you frame your view. We talk here about SHTF situations alot on TGT. Well sir I'd be proud to stand with you in such a happenstance. You can let some of your knowledge rest in your memory and when the situation arises you will default to training. One more time You Hang in there.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    From another Vet that for now has to rely on the VA. You hang in there. Be careful with what you post for the public to see. Some of your feelings are triggers for those so called doctors.
    You can learn to be cool with your past and understand our war may be over so we need not be always on alert. If you want to count people in the parking lot that's OK. Make it a game. When you get to 100 note that none of them wanted to hurt you. (Or if they did they didn't have the balls) It's always good to know the best exit, you are a step ahead of the others. Consider how many you might lead out of danger if you had to.
    You are an asset to this world because of what you know. It's just how you frame your view. We talk here about SHTF situations alot on TGT. Well sir I'd be proud to stand with you in such a happenstance. You can let some of your knowledge rest in your memory and when the situation arises you will default to training. One more time You Hang in there.

Post of the day right there. Excellent way of looking at things!!!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My father & all 5 of his brothers served in WWII. Of those 6 men one was adversely effected. When Vietnam was getting to the point that my brother & cousins were looking @ the draft the 6 of them agreed that thru their experiences they did not want for any of their children involved. They all felt they gave enough.

You sir have given more then enough too! With luck your children will be free of military service & it's adverse effects!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Try the local VFW or American Legion. Not as a source of therapy, but as a safe zone where you can be surrounded by others to mentally take a break from the front lines.

The transition back to something resembling civilian life is different for everyone, but nothing new as it's been going on for generations. There is no "correct answer" to fix everything, but I'll share a few personal observations that you can feel free to ignore (most of them anyway). The only, absolute, across the board and across all generations is, suicide is not the answer.

First, you're different than all the other civilians. Not better, not worse, just different. Learning what those differences are will help make day to day life easier to deal with.

Learn to pay attention to your level of alertness and the moment you relax a little. Recognizing those triggers goes a long way in understanding things. Figure out the things you don't like and minimize them.

Be polite when everyone offers you advice on things they know nothing about, but be receptive to comments that are made because some of the things that might have the biggest impact on you are things that others won't consider important.

Remember you take daily life a whole lot more serious than every civilian you know combined. If you need proof, find a position in a parking lot somewhere and just watch all the people coming and going. You could even work your way up to the bench outside the door of the mega walmart and you'll realize how little anyone else pays attention.

Transitioning to civilian life is a process. The more you pay attention to it and try and learn from the process, the faster it will proceed.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I'm not giving up. I'm waaaay too hard headed. You'll never know how strong you are, until you're tested.

I never confuse frustration for depression. Life may have some irritating aspects but rainy days are always followed by sunny ones. It's also a good time to go fishing.

Excellent......and understood....

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Good luck with the struggles. I know we live far apart but if you want to hang out I'm down.

Hang in there. I can't say it'll get better because I don't know the future. We can't control anything, all we can do while were here is try and make this place and our position better for the next generation.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I wasn't a war fighter, but I was still pretty antsy about a lot of things when I got out. It's kinda crazy how just going to the range and unloading with the 12 GA every weekend, and sometimes two or three times a week helped me out. I'd just go alone, grab a couple 100 rnd boxes of bird shot at walmart, and spend the day shooting. It took about 6 months before I really chilled out, but I did notice a feeling of calm for a few days after each trip.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've had three appointments with VES. The last was today.

Outstanding organization with amazing people. Some of the best care I've received.

Unlike federal employees, VES actually gives a Damn. The VA finally did something right. They hired outside people to do their job.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I was a civil servant for nearly a quarter century and I can state with complete honesty that no one cared more than I did about my job and my customers. I was always diligent, hard-working, courteous and competent. I worked my ass off and was pretty damn good at my jobs. The last few years were spent creating computer graphics for distance learning projects in support of our troops. It's true that many were incompetent boobs and many didn't give a damn. However, that's true of military members too. And that's a fact, Jack.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Feel your pain brother, you're not alone. Hang in there.
    My experience with VES here in Houston was very positive.
    Much better attitude than the VA, and many of the folks I dealt with were Vets.
    Certainly hope your experience mirrors mine.

I've had three appointments with VES. The last was today.

Outstanding organization with amazing people. Some of the best care I've received.

Unlike federal employees, VES actually gives a Damn. The VA finally did something right. They hired outside people to do their job.

Was hoping like hell my experience wasn't unique
    Glad to see VES work out for you.
    Hope the good continues ..

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Veteran Evaluation Services. It's a contract company the VA hired to help with claim back logs.

Their web site link is a few post up.

I can virtually guarantee that service is run by ex-military with Command giving out big money to their greedy brethren. It happens all the time and... believe me... that perceived wonderfulness you've experienced... will... not... last.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I can virtually guarantee that service is run by ex-military with Command giving out big money to their greedy brethren. It happens all the time and... believe me... that perceived wonderfulness you've experienced... will... not... last.

No problem.
    Neither will the country ...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sakorey
    Top Bottom