Guns International

HS student takes gun from susp - gets suspended?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Only hearing one side of the story. There were several kids who wrestled the gun away from the kid and it does not sound like they are all being punished. May well have been more background involving these two that resulted in this. Probably not as ridiculous as it sounds - at least I really hope not.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Suspension is not always for punishment. It's also called emergency removal. After a serious issue (such as this one) it is customary to give a student some time off for several reasons. It would surely disrupt school, for him as well as others. He could be in danger from the other student's friends. Since the school cannot talk about issues involving individual students, it's hard to decide if they are "punishing" the student or just letting him have some days off after an issue this big. I sent students home many times when they needed to be away from school and some of the other students for some reason. It didn't count against them in any way. For example, whenever there was an altercation between students, both students went home for the rest of the day and maybe a day or two more, depending on what happened. If it was an assault type thing, one student may move on to an off campus Alt. School or In School Suspension, etc. and the innocent student will return to school. Most folks don't realize this happens all the time, more often in larger schools. What might start as a two person altercation could end up in a brawl later on in the day or week if steps are not taken. And we may never know the details.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Probably more zero tolerance BS. If a student is involved in any sort of physical altercation they are suspended, even if they were just defending themselves.

Since the school cannot talk about issues involving individual students, it's hard to decide if they are "punishing" the student or just letting him have some days off after an issue this big. I sent students home many times when they needed to be away from school and some of the other students for some reason. It didn't count against them in any way. For example, whenever there was an altercation between students, both students went home for the rest of the day and maybe a day or two more, depending on what happened.
    That makes sense, however this does not get communicated to students effectively. Students feel that they will be punished no matter who was in the wrong.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Probably more zero tolerance BS. If a student is involved in any sort of physical altercation they are suspended, even if they were just defending themselves.

That makes sense, however this does not get communicated to students effectively. Students feel that they will be punished no matter who was in the wrong.

It does get communicated to students as exactly what's happening and usually with their blessing. Just because everybody else doesn't know doesn't mean it's not right.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Most students have this mind-set that if someone curses them or "gets in their face" they have the right to assault them. When a 14 yr. old boy bumps into another 14 yr. old boy, one beating the shit out of the other is not self-defense. They may be defending their honor but usually not themselves from harm. All circumstances are different and usually everybody who is interested but not involved, gets pissed off when they don't get to know what's going on. It never works out to everyone's satisfaction (except the media so they can sell more papers, TV spots, etc.).

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    basically, the public schools have destroyed our youth.

Some have, some haven't. As most people are aware, the "public" schools are run by state mandated rules (and Federal rules if you take the money) implemented by school board members that may or may not know what they are doing. Absolutely nothing required to be a school board member except more votes than their opponent. I pretty much agree with your statement but you really can't blame the majority of the campus personnel (admin. or teachers). Some are idiots, of course, as in any profession but everything is driven from "central office" which is driven by "government and their funding". And if you don't do what you're told, you can be over-ruled by higher-ups and replaced very easily.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It does get communicated to students as exactly what's happening and usually with their blessing. Just because everybody else doesn't know doesn't mean it's not right.
    Perhaps you communicate it well, but I know it doesn't happen on a wide spread basis. Also, while it might get communicated to the students involved, I don't think it ever is to other students. They simply see everyone involved getting suspended and having the perception that they will be punished even when justified.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Perhaps you communicate it well, but I know it doesn't happen on a wide spread basis. Also, while it might get communicated to the students involved, I don't think it ever is to other students. They simply see everyone involved getting suspended and having the perception that they will be punished even when justified.

You are corrrect that it doesn't get communicated to the other students not involved because it's against TEA regulations, district policies, etc. to divulge to other students, parents, etc. The other students usually eventually find out exactly what happens but won't from administration. My experience is that within a week or two everybody in school will know (mostly from the students involved as they can tell whoever they want.

ETA: Administration cannnot even comment on the different disciplinary actions of the other involved students. As I said, eventually everyone will know but it better not come from staff.

Last edited:

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    All this talk of doing it for other reasons doesn't add up in this instance. The article quotes the student and the mother making statements saying it doesn't make sense and sounding generally upset about this.

Top Bottom