• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dadcubed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    On the road to Texas
    Hey Folks,

Rob here, I just posted in the intros but wanted to get replies in a more appropriate section. Anywho, to save your poor mousies a click or two, I'll copy over...

I've loaded the wagon and given away the last of the unused stuff. Horses are hitched and Buck just topped off the rain barrels. Bye-bye West Coast! Aiming for somewhere north of I 30, if son and I can find a situation in the next few months...

Son and I are looking for a place to camp for an extended time frame while we look for a place to buy in Red River, Lamar, Delta counties and surrounding areas. Plan is to raise a few hog dogs, hunt, trap and snare feral pigs as a service to the landowners in the area and transition into a hunting guide service.
    Any info or help y'all can provide would be very appreciated!

So hope to hear from lot of folks and get back to simpler times for a while.

To hopefully stave off a few of the flames I suspect will be headed my way, I grew up in North Carolina and Georgia. California is where my mother lives. I've got to get away from here due to the cost of living out here, not to mention the basic philosophies toward life and living... well... another discussion?

How goes the feral pig hunting? Have most of the landowners started their own hunts or is there still some openings in that market? What common mistakes are being made and what advice would you have? I think those questions should spark some discussion... I hope =)

Till then then,

Rob

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Most charge folks to hunt. There are those who want hogs go e and don't want hunters so they allow someone to trap hogs on their place, that person usually sells the hogs they trap.

I had a buddy who spent enough time around the granger lake WMA to learn where the hogs were and where they would be that he was able to start guiding folks on bow hunts but generally you would need some property to do it on.

There is a pretty large outfit in north Texas that has made deals with multiple large ranch owners to use their property but I doubt it would be feasible with out substantial startup money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Howdy Rob!

Get here as fast as you can and you will find us just as friendly as the kindly folks in North Carolina and Georgia (we share a common heritage).

Don't expect to see pine trees everywhere, and Texas Bar-B-Que means Beef, not roasted pig smothered in a vinegar sauce.

Good luck on finding a landowner who will let you hunt anything for free.

dadcubed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    On the road to Texas
    Is the hunting pressure enough to keep the populations down? Or are the hunters cherry picking the big ones?

I'de take 20 or 30 20 pounder's off anyone's hands ... hehe

p.s. is pork cheap?=D

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Is the hunting pressure enough to keep the populations down? Or are the hunters cherry picking the big ones?

I'de take 20 or 30 20 pounder's off anyone's hands ... hehe

Normally the big stinky boars are left to rot, and the sows and piglets are eaten. I doubt You can move to TX, and make a living hunting pigs. Most likely You will have to pay to hunt.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom