• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    It's not sweeping if it's in a holster...
    Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    The thing is, it may not stay in the holster, you may need to draw it. When you draw a pistol from a shoulder holster that is in the horizontal position, you invariably point it at anyone behind you, who is in line with the muzzle, at least momentarily. In fact, you often sweep the arm under which the holster is situated. This is the main reason shoulder holsters are not allowed at many ranges (at least drawing from them is often, if not usually, disallowed). While I have worn them in the past, I stopped doing so because of having been unable to practice with them while at a range even though the ones I preferred and used were those in the vertical position. Those seem, to me, to make it less likely that the person wearing it sweeps anyone or anything while drawing as would be much more likely to happen with someone wearing one in the horizontal position. If I can find a range near me that allows drawing from a vertical shoulder holster, and if I can find such a holster that I like, I may go back to using them. That is due to arthritis in my hips and the relief I anticipate by wearing a shoulder rig that is not putting weight directly on my hips. If I do so, it will take a lot of practice to rid myself of the muscle memory of going for the draw on my strong-side hip when and if I wind up under the stress of a self-defense situation. For now though, I grin and bear it on the hip.
    Lynx Defense

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The thing is, it may not stay in the holster, you may need to draw it. When you draw a pistol from a shoulder holster that is in the horizontal position, you invariably point it at anyone behind you, who is in line with the muzzle, at least momentarily. In fact, you often sweep the arm under which the holster is situated. This is the main reason shoulder holsters are not allowed at many ranges (at least drawing from them is often, if not usually, disallowed). While I have worn them in the past, I stopped doing so because of having been unable to practice with them while at a range even though the ones I preferred and used were those in the vertical position. Those seem, to me, to make it less likely that the person wearing it sweeps anyone or anything while drawing as would be much more likely to happen with someone wearing one in the horizontal position. If I can find a range near me that allows drawing from a vertical shoulder holster, and if I can find such a holster that I like, I may go back to using them. That is due to arthritis in my hips and the relief I anticipate by wearing a shoulder rig that is not putting weight directly on my hips. If I do so, it will take a lot of practice to rid myself of the muscle memory of going for the draw on my strong-side hip when and if I wind up under the stress of a self-defense situation. For now though, I grin and bear it on the hip.
    I hear ya.

I do draw/reload drills dry at home to stay up on it. I have a range I can use, but don't get a chance to go as often as I would like.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood

I was wondering when we would get your ruling on this subject/thread. In my humble opinion, I will say that I agree with some of what you say, primarily the part that I said very early in the thread. As for the rest of your statement, there is I am sure something to be said for your personal experiences that might have some application for some of us.

Again, we enter into a hypothetical discussion, with too many opinions being stated as facts. Yes, a horizontal shoulder holster sweeps most people behind them. So what?
    1. Until the gun has a mind of its own. I personally do not care where it is pointing.
    2. If I have to draw the gun, who I sweep is not important unless I accidentally shoot them.
    3. If someone takes issue with where my holstered gun is pointed, knows enough about guns as I value their opinion on guns in general or my value of their opinions. See 1. above

@GlennB, I hope I have been clear this time that I was expressing my opinion earlier, and not trying to start a parsing contest.
    PS - I see you changed your Avatar. What happened to your buddy Bevis. Once you cleared up who was who, many things I read from you, on many subjects, made more sense. Thanks for that clarification.

Vector6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Kerr
    As of late I have been using the Aker 101 vertical rigs for both my 1911, and G17 I also have DeSantis SOB (small of back) for both, also I like Fobus products and also have those for both plus a couple different belt setups for my G43

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    @GlennB, I hope I have been clear this time that I was expressing my opinion earlier, and not trying to start a parsing contest.
    PS - I see you changed your Avatar. What happened to your buddy Bevis. Once you cleared up who was who, many things I read from you, on many subjects, made more sense. Thanks for that clarification.
    I get the impression you think I was responding to something you posted. I was not responding to your post but to what CycleGuy posted - that is why I quoted his post. Your other post was very clear and made sense to me, especially the thing about the hips - I feel it right now.

Anyway, a holstered gun does not sweep anyone as I see it. Only when you handle a gun does it sweep someone, just like a broom sweeps when handled. That is my opinion, at least in regard to a sweeping gun being potentially dangerous (unless the gun is hooked up to some type of robotic like firing system). I do not have an issue with someone carrying in a shoulder holster other than myself doing it or someone sweeping me when drawing or otherwise drawing unsafely from one. Regardless of possibly sweeping someone when drawing that is not why I stopped using them; as I think I already pointed out in that other post - I stopped using them because I could not find a range where their use was allowed. When it comes to firearms and accessories for them, if I am unable to practice with something, I will not use it unless an emergency situation causes me to do so.

My agency did not allow use of shoulder holsters during quarterly training/qualifications. Most ranges, to which I have been, prohibit there use. Yet, I did not tell anyone not to wear a shoulder holster, I just gave the reasons why I do not and please note I even said I may go back to them due to health issues (the bad hip) if I can find a place where I can practice with it.

As for you saying you were wondering when I would give my ruling on this, as you called it, I did not give a ruling; although, heaven knows it can seem that way with my long worded posts. What I did was, I shared my opinion on this subject. My opinion on firearms related subjects is based 5 seasons of formal firearms training at summer camp where I first learned the 10 commandments of firearms safety {what else would they call them at a Catholic summer camp} - not the measly 4 rules. It is also based upon 32 plus years of training, qualifying and carrying on the job. That included the firearms training I received throughout those 32 years from my agencies as well as from outside agencies and departments. The agencies from which I received LE firearms trainig were: the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, The U.S. Border Patrol Academy, The CA Highway Patrol, the U.S. Customs Patrol Officer Academy, the U.S. Customs Service Criminal Investigator Conversion Training program, the National Rifle Association (my first LE Firearms Instructor training), the NY City Police Department, the Secret Service, the U.S. Customs Service Firearms Division, the U.S. Army, the Federal Air Marhsals. Then there was the continued training after retirement from the National Rifle Association, the Rockland County Sheriff's Office and private instructors. Oh yeah, there was also some training I got from Glock Inc. I also base my opinions on firearms and accessories use on the fact that I had collateral duties as a firearms instructor for 16 years on the job (I was certified to i strct handgun, rifle, shotgun sub-gun, confrontational safety awareness and OC spray) and I have maintained and currently hold my certification as a LE Firearms instructor for handgun & shotgun through the NRA.

I have received the benefit of lot of training and have a lot of experience of my own and have also witnessed first hand the what can happen with almost everything else related to carrying a handgun, rifle, sub-gun and shotgun at the range and in the field. That is a lot of training & experience that most others do not have the luxury of getting - my guess would be because of cost. Mine was free as part of my official duties and I am very thankful for that. So, I readily share what I have learned through my training and by way of my own practical hands on experience as well as through first hand observation of others handling firearms. You see a lot of stuff at the range when you help train & qualify 200 to 250 LEOs four times a year for 16 years. People can take it or leave it. Sorry if that seems like I am giving a ruling on anything. While I am indeed a limited expert to some degree, I am not the end-all, be-all, grand high exalted mystic ruler of firearms instruction. :)

As for my avatar, I change it regularly. Did I have one with Bevis? It certainly do not recall ever having Bevis as one of them. but me remembering or not does not mean much in that regard.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I've tried a few. I prefer them to belt carry. Recently, this has become my favorite carry method.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Please tell us more. The ads look great, but I've been down so many roads and now have TWO large "holster boxes".

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It is no joke. Any direction is a safe direction if it is in a holster.
    QFT.

This is also true if the firearm is in a case. At least, that's my opinion. I know that not everyone agrees because I once had a run-in with a club RSO who disagreed. He told me that I was unsafely handling a gun during a cease fire because I was carrying it to my car...even though the gun was in a case.

Back to shoulder holsters, though. Has anyone made much or any use of those compression t-shirts with shoulder pockets? I have one but decided I didn't like it because the design made the draw very, very slow and awkward.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Please tell us more. The ads look great, but I've been down so many roads and now have TWO large "holster boxes".

It's basically a soft belly-band holster with a shoulder strap to keep it from sliding down your chest. Good with a variety of pistols. I've carried a Taurus PT145 in it with no problems. Concealable under a loose shirt. And it's washable on the gentle cycle. I needed the extension piece to fit my chest, so plan to purchase that. You could also use it as a concealed "pocket" for carrying money and other valuables as a tourist, if needed. I like mine.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    If one is having pain across the anterior thigh from wearing a holstered pistol, It is more likely femoral cutaneous nerve neuralgia related to a too-tight belt. Actual hip pain may be felt in the hip area, lower back, or perineum.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Helpful advice for those shopping for alternative means to carry besides on the belt. BTW: What % of guns carried as shown in TV/Movies is done with shoulder vs on the belt? I think more done with shoulder holster to make the armed character more noticeable to the viewer with gun displayed higher on body. Builds character.

Attachments

• e n.jpg
      e n.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 84

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If one is having pain across the anterior thigh from wearing a holstered pistol, It is more likely femoral cutaneous nerve neuralgia related to a too-tight belt. Actual hip pain may be felt in the hip area, lower back, or perineum.
    Too much dictionary usage required for me to understand all that. :)

All I know is that OWB carry of a .45 at 4 o'clock is something I've done for years. Over the last few months, I've lost all feeling on the outside of my right thigh. Now I've started dropping an aluminum J-frame into a cargo pocket and the area of lost sensation seems to be shrinking.

All of this is probably just a spine-pinching-a-nerve problem not related in any way to my carry method but I'm going to stick with my new style for a while as an experiment.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Too much dictionary usage required for me to understand all that. :)

All I know is that OWB carry of a .45 at 4 o'clock is something I've done for years. Over the last few months, I've lost all feeling on the outside of my right thigh. Now I've started dropping an aluminum J-frame into a cargo pocket and the area of lost sensation seems to be shrinking.

All of this is probably just a spine-pinching-a-nerve problem not related in any way to my carry method but I'm going to stick with my new style for a while as an experiment.

Compression neuropathy is more likely secondary to tight belt, rather than the holster or gun. Several years ago when I was significantly overweight, I began wearing suspenders from "The Suspender Store" website. Even after losing some 60+ pounds, I'm still using the suspenders. They have been a BIG help. Usual EDC is a G19 in GALCO or Bianchi forward cant IWB. Lately, I only carry a .45 when hunting, usually in a GALCO "Don Johnson Miami Vice" (ex-"Jackass" shoulder rig). The J-Frame "Scandium" in an OWB is extremely comfortable, but I feel under-gunned with it. Ben, try the suspenders with less belt tension.
    leVieux

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I have found that when I canoe or cycle a shoulder rig is more inconspicuous, maybe faster draw and less liable to 'get in the way' of repetitive movements. Don't notice any dangle/flop irritation. But I wear it under shirt/jacket so less likely to get splashed too. Your experience may differ.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I wear a tanker style 1911 holster when working or hiking or when I rode. It places the weapon angled on the left side of my chest. I have a shoulder holster for my Ruger Blackhawk when hiking in cougar/bear country. Rough terrain and scrambling over rocks and logs is hard on hip carry guns.

Top Bottom