DK Firearms

How many LTC folks are actively carrying around you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I typically see 2-3 guys carrying a month. That's out in the wild. Not friends who I know are carrying.

Most of the time it's concealed. Just shirts fly up, printing in the front pocket etc.

That doesn't count the guys I think are carrying just profiling them. 5.11 pants, gun shirts, the ones that look ex military real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I took my wife to see the Wonder Woman movie last night. As we walked up and guy and a woman exited from a vehicle with DV plates. I gave him a second look and noticed was appendix carrying.

I usually make at least one person a day.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Here in The Alamo City, I know a whole crowd of folks who are licensed & ARE routinely carrying concealed. - In my neighborhood (Just outside the front gate of Ft Sam Houston), I would guess that our LTC percentage is the HIGHEST in Bexar County as a high percentage of my neighbors are AD, USAR, TXARNG or an AF retiree.
    (I've not seen a single person carrying openly in over a year here, other than armed security guards & uniformed LEO.)

IF I'm outside the house, I'm carrying except in places where it's unlawful.
    (One of my pet peeves is that I cannot carry "on post", as I live less than a mile from the front gate of Ft Sam Houston & do most of my grocery shopping at the FSH Commissary. - As a retired MP officer, I believe that the current DoD policy is SILLY & counter-productive to on-post security.)

That said, I have NO idea what the "actual daily carry" percentage is.

yours, satx

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I worked with the public for 23 years so know many people as acquaintances. Can't say anything about them as LTC folks.

As for friends, every one of them is armed and proficient!

Flash

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There's been a lot of discussion about carrying on military installations. USC 18 Sec 930 only prohibits it in Federal facilities, which a base is not.

I don't want to rehash the arguments as to the authority to do or not do so, just that there is no blanket DoD policy preventing it.

DoD Directive 5210.56,
    Arming and the Use of Force (click on title for link) has provisions allowing it in Section 4 (starting on page 19).

Dyess AFB has been allowing licensed individuals to bring and leave their personally-owned weapons on base since December 2015 (link).

We've been advocating the same on Lackland, especially after the shooting on Medina Annex in April 2016; but the the 502d Air Base Wing has not been receptive to those desires.

Cheers! M2

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    That new directive is better'n the old ones. It's still up to the individual base commander whether to let GIs conceal carry or keep personal weapons in their base housing or to require them taken to an armory. Both my sons trained at Ft. Sill and worked at Carswell...none allowed there, nor CC by civilians...they told us no guns in car on base of any kind. I found out years after doing it that even LEOs couldn't carry on Barksdale (SAC2) unless on official duty...did it a lot, though, and those were the days you could just drive onto the base when you wanted to-and they'd wave. Wouldn't try that now.
    Our military and their families should not have to be fish in a barrel while putting lives on the line for us. They deserve better.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That new directive is better'n the old ones.
    Our military and their families should not have to be fish in a barrel while putting lives on the line for us. They deserve better.

Nightwatch,

EXACTLY SO. = Had a LTC person been present/armed at Ft Hood on that awful day that the uniformed terrorist shot up the post & killed/wounded numerous people, there might well have been only one/a few casualties.

yours, satx
    USA, Retired

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    2f4f5b12fc1123a7587915ad3eb1f553.jpg
    Gary Larsen's bears kinda like yer signature line, too.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Bottom line for me, and I really hate going to Walmart, is that I know at least one person is carrying and to me that's reassuring.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ZX9RCAM,

EXACTLY. = In several cases where the murdering scum lived, they often said that they actually SOUGHT OUT a place where they believed that nobody would be armed.

Mass murderers PREFER helpless/cowering victims, as they are mostly cowards.

yours, satx

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    7 people that I work with have LTC's, that I know of. I can usually tell when each of them is carrying, because I know how they conceal it.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Yet when it hits the fan, "folks" will say " Why didn't you DO something?" Stripping our citizens on military bases is folly-stripping our VETERAN citizens is idiocy. Stripping our servicemembers is criminal.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I was at wal mart tonight and saw two people open carrying. Factor in myself concealed carrying, and a likely one or two more likely concealed carrying - our numbers were pretty good.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Yet when it hits the fan, "folks" will say " Why didn't you DO something?" Stripping our citizens on military bases is folly-stripping our VETERAN citizens is idiocy. Stripping our servicemembers is criminal.

This comment actually hits on and around the topic that prompted my original posting. All too often when I read of some horrendous event occurring, it seems the news reporters, on occasion, quote some witness or bystander as saying, "why didn't SOMEBODY do something?" Sure, there's plenty of "blame" that could be heaped on the bystander [for not being an LTC'er them self], BUT my thought process tends to turn towards wondering how many folks in the immediate area were even armed, so they COULD do something?

And if there's been one thing this thread has more-or-less confirmed to me, is that generally, there are precious few around who may be legally carrying (and perhaps even fewer who might choose to "get involved" - unless the threat is directly upon them or their loved ones).
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It will be interesting to see how many will be carrying at the campus come fall semester. (Community College carry starts Aug. 1st)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    easy rider,

My GUESS is that a much larger percentage of the student body, than are carrying now on college campuses, if only because a MUCH bigger percentage of CC/junior college students are over 21yo & so many are "part-time students"

yours, satx

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Campus carry has been legal since August 1, 2016 for all state 4-year colleges and universities...

And given that only concealed carry is allowed, I don't see how it will be "interesting to see!"

Top Bottom