• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I've checked out the guides. On the lower end, if I have to pay $700 to fill a couple tags (no trophies, not interested in that anyhow) then I Kay as well just hit the grocery store for meat. I was hoping to attain another skill and share it with family. I can fish and learned on my own with a little internet help a bunch of years ago. I was hoping hunting would go the same way. I guess finding spots to fish isn't quite as tough :)

Once more, you’ll need Hunter Education to be legal. From there, squirrel, rabbit, hog.

You’re not far from the National Forests, where I spent fall weekends hunting squirrel and rabbits with my grandfather, then later deer.

If you want the quick and easy, buy a hunt.

Or check out Dai Due Hunting School. Google that, but bring a thick wallet. You should learn everything in one weekend, though.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Once more, you’ll need Hunter Education to be legal. From there, squirrel, rabbit, hog.

You’re not far from the National Forests, where I spent fall weekends hunting squirrel and rabbits with my grandfather, then later deer.

If you want the quick and easy, buy a hunt.

Or check out Dai Due Hunting School. Google that, but bring a thick wallet. You should learn everything in one weekend, though.
    Don't worry about the class. I like taking those. Signed up for 10 classes when I started shooting. 1 LTC, 3 pistol (beginning to advanced), 3 shotgun (beginning to advanced) and 3 carbine (beginning to advanced). I still want to take a class to learn long distance shooting and some more combat style training (real world scenario, not so much war). I'm a big fan of classes.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    I'm in the same boat as OP.

Check out Outrider. It's kinda like AirBnB but for hunting. There are some reasonably priced options on there.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I'm in the same boat as OP.

Check out Outrider. It's kinda like AirBnB but for hunting. There are some reasonably priced options on there.
    I looked at Outrider. Holy Shit!!!! There is a ranch in this area wanting $1,100 per day for predator hunting. They want people to pay them $1,100 per day to reduce their hog and coyote population.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I looked at Outrider. Holy Shit!!!! There is a ranch in this area wanting $1,100 per day for predator hunting. They want people to pay them $1,100 per day to reduce their hog and coyote population.
    Gotta help the ranchers thicken their wallets. Worst part is people pay the price that’s why it keeps climbing.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Definitely some that are asking the same as the big hunting ranches but there are some bargains to be found.

Edit:
    Although it seems it's become taken over by the "pad my wallet" types since I last looked.

Have seen $3-500 daily doe hunts on there before.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I am disappointed in some of the our members "lack of encouragement."

You might try to some hog hunting first. Its a good start, and is much cheaper than deer hunting. You can find weekend hunts pretty cheap. And the National forest land hunts are another inexpensive option for deer, and there are spots near Conroe for that. Day hunts can be fairly inexpensive, especially for does.

The important thing is to get started. You never know where it will lead or who you will meet. I have a lease, and its nice to have a place to go.

But I just spoke with a guy that I've known for about 10 years, and his lease is over-run with does. They need to shoot about 30 this year, which means each guy would need to kill 5, the total bag limit for his county. So I was invited to go later on in early January to kill a few does. Another guy invites me to hunt in the Hill Country each year.

You never know how an invite might occur. But an invite is rarely extended to non-hunters or novice hunters. So just get started, learn to hunt, and hope for the best.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I have seen a few adds on the on line Market place for places near Kerrville for $250 per day minimum 2 Days. I talked with one person about this but they had No references nor pics of animals or property to share. I passed for that reason but others may not care.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    The reality of hunting in Texas - it is big business and not friendly cost-wise to someone who is not willing to get into a lease. The Texas Parks and Wildlife, drawn hunts is probably the best way to into hunting land-wise. Now the real issue. Hunting and shooting something is just the beginning, cleaning the game is lots of work, and takes some real guidance and training. You really can not watch a Youtube and go do it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There is public hunting near Houston. The National Forest, Corps of Engineers, and TPWD all have public hunting opportunities within a 2-hour drive.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    At heart I will always be a varmint hunter. It’s a past time, can be a way to get meat, and it protects land and stock.

That's something I wouldn't mind getting into but it's not like they tend to pop up much in the big city.

I agree with your take on hogs.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    That's something I wouldn't mind getting into but it's not like they tend to pop up much in the big city.

I agree with your take on hogs.
    It’s a lot of fun but like I mentioned, most who don’t like hunting tend to view us as scum cause it’s entertaining to make em go splat.

There’s varmints all over the city. It’s just illegal to do it. My neighbor is one. Jk

Top Bottom