• Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Fitting in with the schedule
    [...]
    Feathers were slightly ruffled. Conversation ensued and things got settled. We have the range for the 14th. We're not closing it and we must coordinate with any members who show up. They have priority to use the range and we must make way for them.
    Is there any chance that this can become a closed party if we have enough people still willing to go? If money is a consideration, I'm pretty sure we can come up with an amount per shooter to make it worth their while, depending on how many are still planning to show up. The issue I have with sharing the range is that we have a set date and it's on the calendar, so even if it didn't originate through the preferred process we are there now.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    The full auto is a damper for me, but there are some other reasons as well. I am taking 17 hours of hard assed classes, and funds are being put towards the engagement ring I need to buy, and in order to stay financially sound, I think I am going to choose to sit this one out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is there any chance that this can become a closed party if we have enough people still willing to go?
    No. Remember that bit about ruffled feathers? I was being polite. There were issues of territoriality in play and making sure that the range stayed open to any members who decide to come that day was not subject to negotiation.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    A Side Note and Personal Plea for Mercy

Please understand that I'm relaying the way things are and not making pronouncements on my own behalf. I'm starting to see how all these posts could make me sound like a bit of a prick but I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just relaying the way things are and the way we'll have to accept them if we want to be allowed to stay on the range.
    Ben, don't worry, I think you're doing an excellent job of relaying information. You're just telling us what you found out. It's all good.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I want to be clear. I was going to have to make this a balancing act with my very sick grandmother's 94th birthday party. If I went, it was only going to be for 2 hours and I would have to bring my girlfriend who wasn't going to be happy about it. The only incentive for that kind of grief but have been a Hicksvillian experience + full auto. I 100% thank Curtis and Ben for all of their efforts. If I didn't have all of this other chaos on the side, I'd still go.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I want to be clear. I was going to have to make this a balancing act with my very sick grandmother's 94th birthday party. If I went, it was only going to be for 2 hours and I would have to bring my girlfriend who wasn't going to be happy about it. The only incentive for that kind of grief but have been a Hicksvillian experience + full auto. I 100% thank Curtis and Ben for all of their efforts. If I didn't have all of this other chaos on the side, I'd still go.

X2

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I appreciate the updates-good job with them.

However, I can't justify a 5 hour drive plus paying a babysitter 140 bucks for two kiddos and $120 in gas just to go be extra careful shooting normal guns. I WILL see y'all at hicksville for sure. :D

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yea, good and bad day to be sure. Ben and I had been talking in the background for sometime now and agreed to meet at the range this morning. Literally as we were signing in the president (who I've never met) showed up and the conversation began. Ben left around noon and I stayed a few more hours, the heat kicked my butt and I woke up from a nap about an hour ago.

While I don't agree 100% with some the finer points Ben mentioned today, all things considered and since it's our 1st shoot at MCGAC, I'm going to keep my mouth closed and see how things go as updated.

I certainly appreciate the president agreeing to put the meet on the schedule but at the same time am a little POd at how many times he said I didn't do things right. How can I bring a request before the board when they stopped listing board meetings (or any online calendar updates) in February?

I'm still looking forward to the meet and hope there's not to much more attrition from the updates however, I certainly understand each of your reasons for pulling out. No hard feeling whatever, we'll meet again another time. :cool:

Thank you Ben.

WestForkArmory

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    You'll have to count us out on the shoot. The no full auto and no 50 bmg eliminates just about every firearm we have. Sorry guys. If you able to find another location in the future that will allow these types of weapons please let me know.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I certainly appreciate the president agreeing to put the meet on the schedule but at the same time am a little POd at how many times he said I didn't do things right. How can I bring a request before the board when they stopped listing board meetings (or any online calendar updates) in February?
    I'm getting the feeling that we're starting off on the hind foot with these folks. If they don't want us there, they can just clear that up and we can make other plans. I'm sure that you're a conscientious enough person that you would have done all that you could to follow the process and make it a legit event. Maybe this is one of those cases where processes are adhered to only when someone other than a poobah needs something - like, when was the president planning to put his 4H thing on the calendar since we're less than two weeks away and he had no clue about anything else until this morning? My guess is that it would never have made it on the calendar and they would have just turned people away at the clubhouse if someone just came to shoot.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Yea, good and bad day to be sure. Ben and I had been talking in the background for sometime now and agreed to meet at the range this morning. Literally as we were signing in the president (who I've never met) showed up and the conversation began. Ben left around noon and I stayed a few more hours, the heat kicked my butt and I woke up from a nap about an hour ago.

While I don't agree 100% with some the finer points Ben mentioned today, all things considered and since it's our 1st shoot at MCGAC, I'm going to keep my mouth closed and see how things go as updated.

I'm still looking forward to the meet and hope there's not to much more attrition from the updates however, I certainly understand each of your reasons for pulling out. No hard feeling whatever, we'll meet again another time. :cool:

Thank you Ben.

I have put together enough meets to know what a pain in the ass it can be. Thank you Curtis for stepping up this month and getting something together. Even with curve balls, this still sounds like a great place for a meet. One of these days we will find some private land to go bonkers.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Not knowing "who" is reading this I hope I use the right words but yes, things are run a little bit different in the country. While rules, guidelines and procedures may well exist, finding them may be another matter. And preferential treatment may (or may not ;)) exist too.

I've updated posts 1 and 3 so the club name and website is now available, you can see for yourself the calendar and the member application which does not explain rules, guidelines or even where to find them.

While I do have a little egg on my face from today's events I'll mention again that I spoke with a board member twice over the past month concerning the meet and I was never told to contact any other person concerning details. I apologize to TGT members for the somewhat late notice however, 2 weeks in advance is certainly better than on the day of.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    BTW Scott: I shot a rimfire challenge target today and even at just 25yds eww wee ..... it ain't purdy :(
    Haven't scored it yet, may just file it in the round one with the others :p

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I think I'm going to have to sit this one out too. The stuff I wanted to sight in is listed as a no-no. At least we didn't show up unexpectedly, crash the 4H party, break all the rules and get blacklisted.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Maybe this is one of those cases where processes are adhered to only when someone other than a poobah needs something...
    That may be the case but I'm willing to extend them the benefit of the doubt. It appeared to me that the guys who actually run the place and schedule all the events simply know each other and see each other often enough that they rarely need to employ a formal process for range reservations. I think the president was as thrown for a loop as Curtis and me.

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    I will not be attending either since no FA means no reason to drive. I have my own private club that does not allow FA 15 min from the house. Thanks anyway.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    You'll have to count us out on the shoot. The no full auto and no 50 bmg eliminates just about every firearm we have. Sorry guys. If you able to find another location in the future that will allow these types of weapons please let me know.

Hicksville allows .50 BMG's. As for full autos, with all the stuff they let us get away with, I don't see how they wouldnt allow full autos.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Hicksville has a guy who's a regular that has a belt-fed AR, and an AR lower with "safe", "single", "three round burst", and "full auto". JD loves that gun. As long as you keep your rounds in the berm-full auto is encouraged.

Glockster-shit happens man. I agree-at least we found this out before everyone made the trip. This can still work as a local meetup for y'all in Houston.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    While I do have a little egg on my face from today's events I'll mention again that I spoke with a board member twice over the past month concerning the meet and I was never told to contact any other person concerning details. I apologize to TGT members for the somewhat late notice however, 2 weeks in advance is certainly better than on the day of.

No egg at all. When it comes to NFA items the gun community (and most gun clubs) are divided on how to handle it. I've been told one thing, to later be overruled by someone else. It's much more common than most people would like to admit. And quite frankly, until a person has put forth the effort to set up one of these meets, they forfeit their right to complain. It's a pain in the ass and this situation is a perfect illustration of why.

Top Bottom