• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red1027

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    RGV
    Past weekend I was in Houston and saw a billboard announcing the Houston Area gun show. I looked up the website and from what I read Premier gun shows LLC. is the promoter. I have read great things about the gun shows that they promote in San Antonio, and I was wondering if the same could be said about the Houston gun show. I am from the Rio Grande Valley and the Saxet show that rolls around here frequently sucks. There are more non-gun booth than actual gun-booth. Probably the best vendor that comes over is Love's Guns. He usually has a wide selection of handguns but not so much in rifles. So with that being said, would it be worth my time and money to head up there for the weekend? Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks
    Lynx Defense

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Houston area shows. We have about 4 different venues and 3-4 operators. Some are good. Some quite poor. Some 2000 tables of the same stuff sold by different people and some are 50% old men selling guns like rusty 870 shottys at 20% under to 50% over retail.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Houston Gun Collectors Association (HGCA) show is by far the best, but it's only 3 times a year at Reliant.

The High Caliber is the second best, and it comes to the GRB, Pasadena and Conroe on a very regular basis.

The Real Gunshow is the worst of the regularly scheduled shows.

Saxet seems to have quit the Houston area, but they would have probably been spotted in the #3 slot.

The one they do from time to time in Rosenberg is really bad, it's a part time thing.

red1027

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    RGV
    thanks for the input guys....planning on going to the HGCA show. Hopefully I can get those days off so I can make the trip

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    The "Houston Area Gun show" is new and is the same weekend as the High Caliber show in Pasadena. I know the shop I work with from time to time will have set-ups at both, but no telling how the new show will do.

If I was going to drive in to town it would be for a HGCA show

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The show at the Reliant Center (Houston Gun Collectors?) is a good show.

I will drive from SA to Houston just for that show.

It is worth a hotel room to see all of it.

Be well.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think it's widely agreed that H.G.C.A. - Houston Gun Collectors Association has the best show going for the Houston area. Personally I did well at the last one. Next show Jan 21-22. As for prices well, that's up to your haggling skills.

For reference:
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/houston/27053-gun-show-reliant.html

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/houston/28022-reliant-gun-show-part-2-a.html

Still deciding if I'll be there. I can score a vendor badge when I go, makes haggling a whole lot easier.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I worked the HGCA show this past weekend. It was a pretty good show in terms of number of vendors and number of attendees, variety of products offered, and for me, total sales for the weekend.

The organization by the HGCA was pretty bad overall though. Dealer check-in closed at 6pm on Friday where the published info we read said 7pm. I should note that the Saxet shows are open till 10pm for dealer setup. Tables were double sold and miss-allocated. Parking was a fiasco. Attitudes of a very select few HGCA members was total crap but most all were very good folks.

I would definitely work the HGCA show again and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't attended. We sent many supplies home with many happy customers.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The organization by the HGCA was pretty bad overall...
    I wanted to talk to a vendor about one of his items so I waited patiently for several minutes while he and a show official shot the breeze over problems with the show organization. I got tired of waiting, left, walked a couple of aisles, came back, and they were still talking.

I only picked up snippets and can't repeat anything in context, but it appears that there are enough complaints about organizational issues to warrant quite a bit of concern. One thing the official pointed out, for example, was that (at, I gather, a previous show) Reliant Center had a roof leak and at the very last minute forced HGCA to not use a particular plot of real estate during the show. A vendor had to move and there are lingering irritations over the incident. I can see where that sort of thing would create a lasting impression.

One complaint I've voiced in another thread was that the show lasted till 5 on Sunday but many vendors were packing up at 1:30. As a customer, I find that irritating. By 4, about a third of the vendors were either gone or so busy packing they couldn't effectively do business. I bought a pistol an hour before the show ended and was barely able to get the transaction done because the vendor was too busy directing his people how to pack everything up. They had to dig around and find the magazine to the pistol I had just bought; it was in the boxes they'd already packed.

Based on prices (variable, like everywhere), variety of goods available (much better than any other local shows) and an overall good vibe, I'd say I could be happy just going to the HGCA shows. They're not perfect but they're clearly the best in town.

Now if it were just possible to do something about the ridiculously overpriced Reliant Center food. :-)

Rjplt23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Tomball, TX
    I was thinking about going to he show in Pasadena this weekend but heard they post a 30.06 sign. Can't believe I can't carry in a Texas Gun show.
    Any insight?

Thanks

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I was thinking about going to he show in Pasadena this weekend but heard they post a 30.06 sign. Can't believe I can't carry in a Texas Gun show.
    Any insight?

Thanks

I don't know of any gun show that allows you to carry loaded firearm while inside. Most all check them at the door so you don't. I think Austin just had a ND from a CHL holder who was a vendor.

It's a High Caliber Show, so it might be pretty good, definitely the best promoter that comes to Pasadena.

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    From what I understand (hearsay, don't have a source to quote), the 30.06 posting gets mandated by the only insurer who will cover a gun show. The requirement for insurance is part of the rental contract. There we are - tied in a knot.

Philosophically, not every gun owner or gun show vendor has the same attitude regarding concealed carry. We range from the moron labe folks to the "I only want to hunt ducks" bunch. I have friends that span the spectrum.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I really don't think there is a posted 30.06 sign, and as matefrio stated it does not matter if a gun is unloaded or not in regards to that law. This is a probably considered a private event, and they say no loaded guns, and can enforce it by denying you entrance and/or removing you if caught in violation.

How could they have a gun show where weapons are bought and sold, and customers are encouraged to bring their own guns and those weapons are prohibited??? Just does not make sense.

I understand their concerns. If you don't want to be unarmed in that group you could probably still carry with a zip tie on your pistol and a magazine in your pocket. There are usually enough uniformed Pasadena and other local officers there that I feel reasonably safe from crime. However, my experience is that the threat does not come from criminals at gun shows, but from CHL holders that don't follow the rules.

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown
    I have been to a few shows and never really seen a reason to carry a loaded firearm. With all the handling and passing back and forth between people, a loaded weapon seems like a bad idea. I know you would more than likely not be passing around your carry weapon, but there is always someone that would say, Hea, let me show you what I carry. All it would take is one of those people to drop one pistol and it go off, and that would not end well for anyone.

Just my thoughts.

Top Bottom